Poor Performance and SQL Server Compact Database

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Experienced Cover User
80 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

80Posts

35Kudos

1Solutions

Poor Performance and SQL Server Compact Database

We are considering moving off the classical version but have come across several issues. One of the major items is the poor performance of the SQL Server Compact database, even on a local machine (which is another problem/limitation).

We deal with various clients and prospects and are constantly hearing negative feedback on the poor performance of MYOB Live, which has kept us from migrating. We have recently been looking more into this and have identified the following:

• There is no purge facility in the newer versions
  • There is no database maintenance functionality
  • There appears to be no index statistics maintenance being done in the database

All of these are major contributors to poor performance. As software developers, we would like to know the reasons for the above being ommitted from the newer versions, as this will be used to determine if we abort our migration path.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Experienced Cover User
80 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

80Posts

35Kudos

1Solutions

Re: Poor Performance and SQL Server Compact Database

So no response from MYOB support!

What's the point of paying for annual Cover Support if this is the only way we can create support tickets and then not get any MYOB assistance.

Highlighted
MYOB Moderator
36,468 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

36,468Posts

4,939Kudos

5,330Solutions

Hi @someone

Thank for your feedback in regards to AccountRight

Currently, the AccountRight 2018 range doesn't contain a purge option to remove older transactions from a company files. AccountRight 2018 is intended to retain records of transactions. At this stage, while we would love to see a purge function as a potential feature of the program, to my knowledge, this is not something that we are actively working on.

In your post, you mentioned that you are still considering moving off the AccountRight Classic range to the AccountRight 2018 range, we do strongly recommend purging and optimising the company file before information. This will reduce the file sizes and based on my personal experience, clients with a smaller database when migrating to AccountRight 2018 do have a better experience.

If you have already moved to the AccountRight 2018 range, while it is doesn't work for all users and systems, some clients have found some success with the tips on Help Article: Speed and Performance tips.  Do note that it doesn't work for all clients and systems.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Highlighted
Experienced Cover User
80 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

80Posts

35Kudos

1Solutions

For the benefit of other considering MYOB and/or the move from Classic to Live, after a lengthy online chat with support we are basically told that AccountRight Live should only be used with MYOX files up to 500MB. Anything beyond that your considered a big business and need to buy the big business products.

The problem with this is that it's the new MYOX (read SQL Server Compact database and lack of ability to purge, optimise or perform any database maintenance) that is causing the MYOX files to grow so large in the first place.

Support wash their hand of this and aparently there are no developers that this can be raised with or escalated to. What a load of rubbish.

After being a long time loyal and dedicated supporter of MYOB (read since v5.0), looks like these days are numbered.

Highlighted
MYOB Moderator
36,468 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

36,468Posts

4,939Kudos

5,330Solutions

Hi @someone

Thank you for additional feedback and sharing your experiences with the MYOB Community.

While AccountRight does allow for large file sizes, as mentioned, based on my experiences, clients do have a better experience with company files that are smaller in size.

Also mentioned, our program development team are aware that AccountRight doesn't have a purge function and that some company files are on the larger size. While we would love to see a return in the program to reduce those file sizes, it is not something, to my knowledge, that we are actively developing at this time but would be looked in for the future of the product.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

Highlighted
Experienced Cover User
80 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

80Posts

35Kudos

1Solutions

Hi Steve,

Appreciate you responding and trying to provide assistance.

The issue for MYOB still remains in that functionality has been taken away from a product we have already purchased and being told that the version of the product we are using will/is being decommissioned so you have to go to the newer product without the capabilites previously available.

Surely any person with some common sense can see how this is a backward step. New versions should add functionality and capabilities, not remove them. Why else should us customers pay to have capabilites removed?

I haven't even started on the whole issue that we can't keep the MYOX file on a NAS or network share! (as database/software developers we know the technical reasons for this, but it doesn't make it right, as this is another piece of functionality that has been removed)

Highlighted
MYOB Moderator
36,468 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

36,468Posts

4,939Kudos

5,330Solutions

Hi @someone

The idea behind AccountRight 2018 not having a purge function is that AccountRight 2018 is designed to retain entered information in the company file. So if you do enter a transaction into the company file, it is designed to be seen as a historical transaction if required, such as if an auditor wanted to view that older transaction.

The downside of this is that AccountRight 2018 company file will grow in size, as such we do need to look into potential ways to address this within the AccountRight 2018 product. However, it is not the current focus of the development work at this time (multiple currencies, single touch payroll and compliance being the main focuses). 

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post