Experienced Cover User Oscar_W
20 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Experienced Cover User

20Posts

36Kudos

0Solutions

Printing to PDF on WINDOWS 10 is still not working, needs to be addressed

There is now only 3 months remaining until windows ceases all support for windows 7, forcing most users to migrate to Windows 10.

PDF Quotes/Invoices/Purchases still do not print properly in wondows 10 to PDF printers such as Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, CutePDF Writer, Microsaoft XPS Document Writer and Microsoft Print to PDF using the standard print functions.

Send to disk works, but requires the user to painstakingly alter global settings or customer card settings if they need to print using a different form. Not an option when generating dozens (or hundreds) of quotes per day using different forms. This functionality is what we are paying for in theory.

I raised this issue almost 18 months ago here - and other users have been complaining about this problem since 2015(!)

Myob claims this is a Windows problem and not a MYOB problem, but this is not true - based on evidence from multiple users, some of whom have been able to print from older versions of MYOB on windows 10 successfully. MYOB support has also replicated the problem according to one user.

At the end of the day, Windows 7 is dead, and every other application prints fine on Windows 10. This is a defect in MYOB.

If the programming team is unwilling or unable to fix the problems with the data MYOB is sending to the external printing applications, a simple fix or workaround would be to add an option to the send to disk function -

ASK the user which form to use when send to disk is selected!

Will the MYOB team acknowledge and address this issue before Windows 7 EOL (14th Jan 2020)?

11 REPLIES 11
Experienced Cover User Allfire
43 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

43Posts

13Kudos

0Solutions

Re: Printing to PDF on WINDOWS 10 is still not working, needs to be addressed

I couldn't agree more. So tired of MYOB blaming everyone other than themselves for everything that goes wrong. 

Marianne27
3 Posts
User

3Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

I am also experiencing the same problem. Need to be fixed.

Experienced Cover User Allfire
43 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

43Posts

13Kudos

0Solutions

MYOB really should not be telling us to uninstall and then reinstall Windows just to make their product work :-(

MYOB Moderator Theresa_D
1,807 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

1,807Posts

193Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Everyone, 

Thank you for your feedback. This issue has occurred due to the dynamic between ARL and the Windows changes. AccountRight groups multiple/bulk transactions to print and in Windows 7 it allowed for bulk printing, but Windows 10 does not. 

The problem here is that AccountRight renders what's known as a 'raster image' of the document before passing it to the Printer Driver, as Printer Drivers can also re-render the same document it can lose quality as it does this; Windows 10 also handles the practice differently than Windows 7 had. Fixing this will involve programmers to change some other core features under the hood before we can explicitly fix this particular issue. There is no timeline for when this will be completed. 

In the meantime, there are other users that have had success using various PDF creation solutions.   It needs to be one that allows for bulk printing.  I cannot suggest any specifically but it would be a matter of trying some out to see if they work, or having one suggested from another user on the forum.

Apologies for any inconvenience, let me know if you require any further information.  Please feel free to utilize the forum if you have other inquiries or advice.

Cheers,
Theresa

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Contributing Cover User DanT
12 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Contributing Cover User

12Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Are you not trying to confuddle us all with your response?  I have been using windows 10 since it was released with v19 of MYOB and had no issue at all printing to pdf using either CutePDF, Adobe PDF or Microsoft PDF generators and then being able to select the text.  But it's not worked from day 1 since i was finally able to upgrade after what feels like 12 months of trying to.  Now I regret upgradinga and wished that I was still on v19.

From what I understand and have been told from your support team there are NO issues with v2019.3 and they have gone so far as to say there isn't even a defect register for it yet I am finding issues every day...?

@Theresa_D wrote:

Hi Everyone, 

Thank you for your feedback. This issue has occurred due to the dynamic between ARL and the Windows changes. AccountRight groups multiple/bulk transactions to print and in Windows 7 it allowed for bulk printing, but Windows 10 does not. 

The problem here is that AccountRight renders what's known as a 'raster image' of the document before passing it to the Printer Driver, as Printer Drivers can also re-render the same document it can lose quality as it does this; Windows 10 also handles the practice differently than Windows 7 had. Fixing this will involve programmers to change some other core features under the hood before we can explicitly fix this particular issue. There is no timeline for when this will be completed. 

In the meantime, there are other users that have had success using various PDF creation solutions.   It needs to be one that allows for bulk printing.  I cannot suggest any specifically but it would be a matter of trying some out to see if they work, or having one suggested from another user on the forum.

Apologies for any inconvenience, let me know if you require any further information.  Please feel free to utilize the forum if you have other inquiries or advice.

Contributing Cover User DanT
12 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Contributing Cover User

12Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

So I have just spent about an hour with the live chat people and managed to make some progress with this however it's not an ideal solution as it then won't trigger the printing of a packing slip automatically.

Instead of using the Print option at the top left of the page and printing to a PDF printer you need to use the Send To option and then Disk.  This will generate the PDF that can be used as you would expect it to behave. 

But if you want a packing slip printed you'll have to do this first by using the print option generate a dummy pdf of print a physical invoice then trigger the packing slip print job and after that then go back and send to disk....what a faf!

Experienced Cover User Oscar_W
20 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Experienced Cover User

20Posts

36Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Theresa

"there are other users that have had success using various PDF creation solutions"

I am sorry but it is difficult not to take offence at this comment. As a MYOB representative, I feel you could be more helpful to all of us who are paying a subscription for this software if you are not simply running cover for the development team.

If you are aware of other users who have come up with a third party program which fixes this issue, could you please let us know what it is, or direct us to the thread where these are mentioned?

I have tried half a dozen of the most popular PDF programs which offer a virtual print driver and none of them are working. Other users have mentioned similar experiences, and I have not seen a solution posted or I would not be wasting my time complaining.

In any case, seeking out yet another program to install is a workaround, not a fix.

As for the intricacies of of how/why the problem has presented - this is not something I am interested in - I am paying the MYOB team to (theoretically) work this out for me and solve the problem. Operating systems change and are updated over time, and if that breaks your software's functionality, it is your job as a software development company to fix it. This is one of the only things that makes the "Software as a Service" business model MYOB is profiting from a valid concept. For it to be valid, though, you have to actually address the bugs.

Windows 10 was released in 2015 and MYOB was made aware of this issue the same year.
"There is no timeline for when this will be completed" is an unacceptable response four years later.

Translation: MYOB does not care about it's users

"Fixing this will involve programmers to change some other core features under the hood"

It has been suggested to me by a user with over 20 years experience that these types of problems keep coming up because MYOB is still trying to tweak software code originally written for windows XP, creating somewhat of a Frankensteins monster- rather than building a new product for modern computing platforms, which is long overdue. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but it would explain a lot of issues with the software.

MYOB Moderator Theresa_D
1,807 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

1,807Posts

193Kudos

0Solutions

Apologies @DanT  my response was meant to clarify not confuddle.  The way this functioned in v19 is not the same as AR2019.xx as they are entirely different packages and do not print the same way. It uses a very old engine but this still doesn't produce those 'raster images' like ARL does. 

@Oscar_W  if another PDF program does not work the other option is the ‘Send to’ and ‘Disk’ selection mentioned above.

I have passed along the feedback to our development team. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Cheers,
Theresa

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Trusted User ford
261 Posts
Trusted User
New Zealand
Trusted User

261Posts

16Kudos

0Solutions

The person with 20 years experience who suggested MYOB software is still in the age of the dinosaurs is correct.

I have been using various MYOB softwares for many years, and there are issues that they are still refusing to fix. Don't worry though, Xero is just as bad. I have a petition on change.org to try and get them an 0800 number free phone support.

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post