Turn off automatic updates

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Vinous
4 Posts
User

4Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Turn off automatic updates

Hi all, is there a way to turn off automatic updates on MYOB AccountRight 2021.1? We don't want to upgrade the version on our server yet but all the desktop versions in our office keep updating to a newer version automatically and we get an error message saying that the versions don't match. It gets to a point where the desktops update themselves, then when we try to log in to our company files the program won't let us pass the welcome screen. We then have to keep uninstalling and reinstalling so we can keep using the version we have on our server.

Is there some way we can disable automatic updates so we can just do a larger update once a year? Our IT department is offsite so they can't update the server every time MYOB wants us to!

38 REPLIES 38
Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Re: Turn off automatic updates

Hi @Vinous 

Automatic upgrades are a feature that has been introduced to the AccountRight PC Edition with AccountRight 2021.1. This process will automatically install the latest version when the update has been made available to users. Being on the latest version ensures that you have access to the latest features and benefits as well as having access to the latest product fixes.

Users not wishing to receive automatic updates at this time can install the AccountRight Server Edition version of the software. However, do note that this will be receiving automatic updates later this year so you will be delaying the inevitable.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

cantankrs
Contributing Cover User
6 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Contributing Cover User

6Posts

3Kudos

0Solutions

Apologies for jumping into this thread.  In our scenario it seems that any user can be the first to upgrade their version and the database - and this happens at a poor time for the rest of the users to have to upgrade.  I appreciate some reasons for upgrades to become automatic.  If I'm correct, (please feel free to tell me that's not how it works and why), is there a way to stop non-admin users from updating their myob install until AFTER an admin user has done it?

Thanks

Alex

IanChait
Ultimate Partner
1,443 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

1,443Posts

277Kudos

231Solutions

I agree with @cantankrs 

Regards
Ian Chait CA
Certified Consultant Melbourne
P/M 0417 479 585
Email ian@myfc.com.au

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Hi @cantankrs 

Upgrades are controlled on a workstation level and AccountRight Live or company file user access doesn't get factored into the equation. For example, should the user have installed that upgrade and updated the file, all users would need to install that update to gain access to that file. This is simple behavior to the AccountRight 2020 and earlier versions, just that the installation of that upgrade occurs automatically on the user's PC.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

gbroadbridge
2 Posts
User

2Posts

7Kudos

0Solutions

Becuase of this so called 'feature', we are switching to another accoounting package at 30 June.

I control the software installed on our PC's, not MYOB,

kathryng1
Experienced User
13 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

13Posts

5Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Steven

We are finding the automatic updates disruptive to our operations.  If we need to align with automatic updates we have little choice, however I find it really concerning that the upgrades are not allocated to administrator levels.  What are your plans when it comes to the company file - please advise if you have security around access levels as to who can give permission for the upgrades.

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Hi @kathryng1 

Currently, users would be able to upgrade a company file by opening it in the latest version. There is currently no provision on user access that can prevent a company file from being upgraded by a user. 

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

kathryng1
Experienced User
13 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

13Posts

5Kudos

0Solutions

That is really unacceptable.  So why do you have levels of security within myob, but not with upgrades.  You need to provide this rollout with a business in mind, with multiple users.  We can not be working on different versions, or bring the day to a halt, when we need to get everyone signed off, upgrade and restart.  Please provide your view.

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Hi @kathryng1 

Thank you for your additional feedback on this topic.

AccountRight's user access is based on what access you do have within the company file. This would not stretch outside the bounds of the file such as to the application or file upgrades.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post