Turn off automatic updates

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Re: Turn off automatic updates

Hi @JasonE 

We may have a solution for you that would allow you to stay on the PC Edition of the software and still be able to confirm the company file even following updates. If you would like to send me a private message with your serial number I'll be happy to apply that one for you.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

DeanPh
4 Posts
User

4Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

This week I discovered another reason that these "free automatic updates" are a bad idea.

Because I received an email from MYOB on August 26 2021 saying "Now available – automatic updates" I decided to update as suggested. The problem is that because my original version was 2018, my serial number stopped being valid for MY OWN company file and I had to wait an hour on the support phone line to get them to activate it for me. I assume I will have the same problem in 6-8 months when it tries to validate again.

Until I suggested I would be going to Dept of Fair Trading, the only option suggested to me was to purchase a subscription for software I already own.

I do not use any online services so I don't need the updates, but I have no choice.

Text of the email is:

"Keep up to date with the latest version of AccountRight with automatic updates.
Once you upgrade, you’ll continue to have updates delivered automatically in AccountRight, as they are released, so you’re always on the latest version.
Rest easy knowing your software is compatible with newer operating systems, and up to date with the latest security updates, best of all, it’s free!*"

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Hi @DeanPh 

Looking at your account, I can see that our team have updated your serial number to allow confirmations to continue to work for yourself when those updates have been applied. So do go ahead with those PC Edition upgrades when prompted to ensure you are getting the most up-to-date version. If you are prompted to confirm your company file do select to confirm online and that should go through for you. 

Although, do get in touch if you encounter a situation with that confirmation we are happy to offer assistance through this channel.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

DeanPh
4 Posts
User

4Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Thank  you Steven,

Your reply is very much appreciated. I was not made aware of that.

Gbroadbridge1
3 Posts
User

3Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

There is a way around these stupid auto updates.

email me direct gbroadbridge@hotmail.com and I will show you how i worked around it.

Crompton
Partner
16 Posts
Partner
Australia
Partner

16Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

You now have a product that has an invoicing issue, due to automatic upgrades this has made your product not workable for a business with 10 staff using the system?  how do you suppose we use your system, when the upgrade has already gone through?

AndreAquared
3 Posts
User

3Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi,  Block MYOB in firewall rules.

DeanPh
4 Posts
User

4Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Blocking in firewall won't help as then it won't be able to verify your business file

Gbroadbridge1
3 Posts
User

3Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

you simply need to link to the old version.  It will keep updating, but if you have a link to the old version, that is what will launch. 

I'm still using 2020 and it works fine .

AndreAquared
3 Posts
User

3Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi,  Thankyou fior your reply, how do I link the file to the old version?

Thanks

Andre

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post