Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

1,221Posts

260Kudos

134Solutions

Upgrading a local file on a PC using 2021.2 SE

Hi Folks

Another headache with upgrading - if you are running local files - doesn't happen for online files

I decided to remove the PC version of AR 2021.1 from my laptop - being forced to upgrade to 2021.2 I installed 2021.2 SE - which installs without problem (even with AR 2021.1 PC version on board).

However, all was not well - though it all seemed to work fine - AR 2021.2 SE would not upgrade a 2021.1 file to 2021.2 with the warning 

"cannot upgrade file to 2021.2 as another program is using the file" - grrr 

After a lot of stuffing around looking at permissions - rebooting - and uploading the file to an actual cloud server and upgrading it without problem with 2021.2 SE - downloading to my PC - it ran fine.

So what is/was the problem - SE comes with 4 services that run in the background - on a server these do not interfere but on a PC they do.

API Service

Library Service

Server 2021.2

Server Locator

Without telling you what these do - the last one needs to be stopped (to do this - Windows button + R - type Services.msc and enter - scroll down to 'MYOB AccountRight Server Locator' - select - R Click -  select STOP)

Now do your upgrade and it will work.

Don't forget to restart it - or simply reboot will restore. 

If you are not using the API and do not have local files none of these services are necessary it seems.

The Doc

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post