Upgrading to Windows 10

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Highlighted
Ultimate Cover User
2,847 Posts
Ultimate Cover User
Australia
Ultimate Cover User

2,847Posts

1,414Kudos

480Solutions

Upgrading to Windows 10

Hi All,

There have been several posts over the past week on this forum requesting assistance following an upgrade to Windows 10.

In my case I have not yet upgraded my Windows Pro 8.1 64bit laptop to new Windows 10 although it is my intention.

In preparation for that switch (or 'Leap of Faith') I've already created an image of my existing environment by following the guide in this link How to Create an Image of Your PC Before Upgrading to Windows 10.

I've since tested the restoration of that image back onto my laptop after I had first restored my laptop to its original Windows 7 'Factory Settings' state.  The test was a total success therefore I can recommend the guide indentified in the previous paragraph to all.

If after I install Windows 10 and things go wrong I can restore my previous Windows Pro 8.1 image and get back to work; it took less than 30 minutes for me to do the image restore mentioned in the above paragraph.

Also if my Windows 10 upgrade works out to be absolutely fine I'll be making an image of it; it is the best thing to do in addition to regular backups.

I trust this post is of benefit to all who plan to upgrade to Windows 10; thank you for reading it.

Best Regards

Tony Lane - Penguin - Tasmania

5 REPLIES 5
Community Manager
5,964 Posts
Community Manager
Australia
Community Manager

5,964Posts

2,206Kudos

477Solutions

Re: Upgrading to Windows 10

Thank you very much Tony (@TonyLane) for taking the time to post your suggestions for a smooth upgrade to Windows 10.

I have no doubt that it will benefit others who may be considering the upgrade.

Love Your Work!!

Cheers,
Suja Pillai

Social Support and Community Manager

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Highlighted
Valued Cover User
257 Posts
Valued Cover User
Australia
Valued Cover User

257Posts

7Kudos

11Solutions

Thanks Tony. A very sensible suggestion.

With a lot of users probably moving over to Windows 10 in the next couple of months or so I wonder if it might be worth creating a new temporary Category called Windows 10 Update?

It would allow all posts  to be located in the one area and allow users quick and easy access to problems and solutions.

Bob Andrew

Highlighted
MYOB Moderator
37,030 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

37,030Posts

5,025Kudos

5,415Solutions

Hi @boba

Thank you for your suggestion in regards to the MYOB Community Forum and creating a temporary board. I've shared your feedback with the MYOB Community Forum Manager -@Suja_P.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

Highlighted
Ultimate Cover User
2,847 Posts
Ultimate Cover User
Australia
Ultimate Cover User

2,847Posts

1,414Kudos

480Solutions

Hi All,

Please read the contents of this link Windows 10 doesn’t offer much privacy by default: Here’s how to fix it while you are waiting for the outcome follow up on my Windows 10 Pro 64bit upgrade. 

The following has been extracted from this article written by Bernard Marr on this link Windows 10 – Microsoft’s Big Data-grabbing (or spying?) OS and it provides some food for thought:-

"...

It’s been a couple of weeks since the launch of Windows 10 and the numerous voices raising concerns over privacy and how it uses personal data are not getting any quieter.

Windows 10, running under its default settings, is clearly designed to learn as much about us as it can. The rapid spread of cloud-based software-as-a-service platforms, such as Microsoft’s own Office 365 and Adobe’s Creative Suite, has introduced us all to the idea of software providers gathering data on how we use their products. However integrating this kind of monitoring into the core of the OS (Operating System) takes things to a whole new level. We might have got used to the idea that our activity within the container of a certain program or service is being analysed somewhere, by someone, for some reason. But the fact that this level of scrutiny is now applied to everything we do on our computers is causing many commentators and online security experts to issue warnings.

Even the contents of your emails and documents stored in private, offline folders can be subject to scrutiny and “disclosure” (to unspecified parties), according to the wording of Microsoft’s privacy policies. Of course, it’s quickly become apparent that this is why Microsoft, which has traditionally charged users around $100 to upgrade to the latest version of their OS has, in an uncharacteristic act of generosity, given it away for free. $100 multiplied by the 14 million who updated in the first day alone is clearly a lot of revenue for them to pass up on. However, while the strategical soundness of some of Microsoft’s recent actions have been questioned, this was far from a stupid move on their part. And there’s no such thing as a free lunch. Of course Microsoft want payment for using their services, only this time they are happy to take it in personal data rather than cash.

..."

Best Regards

Tony Lane - Penguin - Tasmania

Highlighted
MYOB Moderator
37,030 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

37,030Posts

5,025Kudos

5,415Solutions

Hi @TonyLane

Thanks for sharing this article and information. I'm sure members of the MYOB Community will find it informative and contain information that every business should consider.

On a personal note, I haven't updated to Windows 10 yet on my personal computer for these particular reasons. However knowing that they can turned off may make me reconsider upgrading.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post