New Zealand
Neil_M
MYOB Moderator

8589Posts

926Kudos

1213Solutions

Using AccountRight 2017.2 or 2018.1? Please read this

Hello Everyone

With the release of 2018.2 now behind us, customers using older versions of AccountRight must update their software to continue accessing their online company file. 

If you are using AccountRight 2017.2 you will need to update by August 8 2018 whilst users on AccountRight 2018.1 will need to upgrade on before August 15 2018. 

To give you the best possible performance from AccountRight, we only keep the most recent versions in the cloud. This does mean that as new releases become available, you may need to update your software to keep working smoothly.

To assist with this, we have prepared this guide to help you upgrade to AccountRight 2018.2. 

Not sure what version of AccountRight you’re using? It’s easy to check. Just open AccountRight and go to the Help menu > About MYOB AccountRight

2018.22.png

If you’re using the version above, you’ll need to update before August 8, 2018 to continue using your file. If your number says 2018.1, please update before August 15, 2018 to be able to carry on working in your file 

What do I need to do before I update?

Before you update to the latest version, you need to make sure your file is checked in. To check your file in, please go to File >> Check In from within your checked-out file.

How do I update to the latest version?

If you have a current subscription and you’re not on the latest version, you’ll be prompted to update when you open AccountRight. You just need to click Update to download and install the update.

However, if you don’t see an update prompt when you open AccountRight, you can download it from my.MYOB:

• Download the latest version from my.MYOB (Australia | New Zealand). Our help article Downloading from my.MYOB has a really great guide on how to do this.
  • Install the downloaded update. If you aren’t sure how to do this, then please have a look at our help article  

After installing the update, open your company file in the new version and then click the Yes, upgrade to 2018.2 button. 

FAQs

Why am I receiving an AccountRight needs updating error?

If you are receiving this error: 

4589770.PNG

It means that the version of AccountRight you are using has been decommissioned and you will need to upgrade to AccountRight 2018.2 to continue using your file.

If you have previously installed AccountRight 2018.2, then there will be a new icon on your desktop for this version. Please make sure that you are clicking on the AccountRight 2018.2 icon and not a previously installed version.

Who can upgrade my online file?

Online Administrators and Online Owners are the only ones who have the authority to upgrade an online file. Online file users are not able to upgrade online files.

I was trying to upgrade my file and received an error about needing an AccountRight Live Administrator

This means the email address you have signed in with is not recognised as either an online owner or administrator and won’t be able to upgrade the file. In this instance you will need to speak to the person who invited you to the online file and get them to upgrade the file for you.

What if I need more help?

Check out our help article, Installation troubleshooting, if you encounter any issues when trying to install the update, or alternatively feel free to post your questions below so we can assist.

Regards
Neil
MYOB Client Support
30 REPLIES
Contributing Cover User sharlow
5 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
sharlow
Contributing Cover User

5Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Re: Using AccountRight 2017.2? Please read this

well I was considering renewing but that message was enough to make sure I'll be downloading everything, making sure all my information is on my own drives and taking my busienss else where.  what gives you the right to restrict access to my personal information.  I haven't updated because your stupid program refuses to actually run the update.  I was going to trouble shoot it this weekend, but now Instead i'll be moving everything to Xero.

MYOB Moderator Hayden_B
3,356 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Australia
Hayden_B
MYOB Moderator

3356Posts

539Kudos

501Solutions

Hi @sharlow

Generally we only keep the most up to date release and last release on the Cloud at one time, and generally once we have released an update we discontinue the older release for those on the Cloud.

We tend to keep our Users alerted to our decommissioning by email and even by this Forum Post that @Neil_M had created, to ensure you are kept aware ahead of time.

If you are encountering issues with the update, we're here to help. If the steps in the post above aren't relating to your troubles, you can post your details here and our Community of Experts will be happy to help. Otherwise, you can always give us a call on 1300 555 123 or hit us up on LiveChat.

Cheers,
Hayden
MYOB Partner/Social Support

Rata
3 Posts
Cover User
Rata
Cover User

3Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi

Currently on 2017.2 Account Right and trying to upgrade to 2018.1

I can download the file and have tried changing the file extension to .exe but when I run I get the ammend screen which indicates I already have the new version? However I can't see a new shortcut for 2018.1 on my desktop.

What to do??

Also there is a comment somewhere about a scam email re updating?

Regards

Keith

MYOB Moderator Hayden_B
3,356 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Australia
Hayden_B
MYOB Moderator

3356Posts

539Kudos

501Solutions

Hi @Rata

If you are being asked to Modify the setup, this occurs when there is an installshield reference on the computer with the same product.

I have seen times where the AccountRight Setup did not create a Desktop icon, if you search your Start Menu for 2018.1, you may find an AccountRight 2018.1 app on your computer.

temp.png

Please let us know how you go.

Cheers,
Hayden

NZET
1 Post
User
NZET
User

1Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

I have run the update, saved and then tried to open it. It says there is no file and redirects to search on web. Searched on web and it says there is no file with that extension. Come to a complete impasse!

WantAuto
3 Posts
Cover User
Australia
WantAuto
Cover User

3Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

I have received error: "windows cannot open this file" when attempting to open the AccountRight 2018.1.1 downloaded from my.myob

MYOB Moderator Hayden_B
3,356 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Australia
Hayden_B
MYOB Moderator

3356Posts

539Kudos

501Solutions

Hi @WantAuto

This suggests that there is no File Extension on the file that was downloaded. This can happen using older releases of Internet Explorer. This is a matter of just adding .exe to the end of the file name so that Windows recognises what kind of file it is.

I have more details in this Forum Post: Can't download version 2018.1 sucessfully

Please feel free to reach out if you have any other troubles or questions.

Cheers,
Hayden

SLNCF
1 Post
Cover User
New Zealand
SLNCF
Cover User

1Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

I have just updated from 2017.2 to 2018.1 and when I try to log in I get the following error:

MYOB upgrade error 2018.PNG

When I click 'Upgrade a company file' on the main welcome screen it says this is for upgrading a file from V19 or earlier. Is this the correct procedure for a file that has been used with 2017.2?

MYOB Moderator Neil_M
8,589 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
Neil_M
MYOB Moderator

8589Posts

926Kudos

1213Solutions

Hi @SLNCF

Welcome to the MYOB Community Forum, I hope you find it a great resource.

To upgrade a file from one version of AccountRight 201X to another newer version of AccountRight 201X it just needs to be opened in the new version. When you do you will be presented with a window asking you if you want to upgrade a file.

If the file is stored online, then only the online owner or administrator can upgrade the file. If your login is not an online owner or online administrator, then you will not be able to upgrade the file. Instead you will get the prompt that you are seeing advising that you need an AccountRight live administrator to upgrade the file.

Regards
Neil
MYOB Client Support
Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post