Partner Zone
Partner Zone

Using AccountRight 2017.2 or 2018.1? Please read this

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Trusted Cover User BYBookkeeping
85 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
BYBookkeeping
Trusted Cover User

85Posts

42Kudos

3Solutions

Re: Using AccountRight 2017.2? Please read this

@BooksInTheCloud

Spoke to MYOB - had to remove some internal blockage on my admin login. It was confused with my users.  All done now.  

There isn't a 2018.2.....

Ultimate Partner BooksInTheCloud
1,728 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
BooksInTheCloud
Ultimate Partner

1728Posts

1495Kudos

183Solutions

@BYBookkeeping great glad it is sortedSmiley Happy.  Yes, 2018.2 has been released the last few days so you will get a notification to update in due course. 

If I am responding to your query and I have helped you please kindly mark my post as a solution to assist others in the future.
Warm Regards
Renae

@renae2peas
Chris178
5 Posts
Cover User
Australia
Chris178
Cover User

5Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Re: Using AccountRight 2017.2 or 2018.1? Please read this

hi

Could MYOB please make the upgrade software as a patch instead of full installation of new version in the future. its quite a lot of work if you have many computers to install and uninstall old version and if you have so many version released in a year. While from my end, we dont actually use the whole functionality, and impacted by the updates, it has becoming inefficient, time wasted just for the upgrade process - just because MYOB sending the msg "you must upgrade by certain date to keep on using the file".  It doesnt make sense that you are stopping the service just because we dont upgrade to the recent one, after all, we still pay the license and file fee. 

MYOB Moderator Dave-P
372 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Australia
Dave-P
MYOB Moderator

372Posts

69Kudos

55Solutions

Hi @Chris178

There are a few reasons why these are released as a full version and not as patch updates. The main reasons would be the folders that are created in Windows. If we release a patch update and you install this, it will clash with the existing version already installed if they are all named the same. On top of this, if we tried to allow the folder to be modified instead of a new installation, this will result in more issues from anti-virus programs, it will think it is a virus trying to modify the setup. There are also different features released at various stages of the year, so there wouldn't be a way to differentiate some features from another in patch releases. 

We also have users who work with files across different numerous versions and need to remain on these particular versions and releasing a patch update for the same versions can affect their workflow. 

I do agree in a lot of cases a patch release would be beneficial, but there is a lot of reasons why this would not work too. For instance, we currently release a patch update for AccountRight V19 each year with the updated tax tables. As V19 hasn't changed for several years, we can release a patch for this one.

In regards to the service being stopped, this is due to our servers being deactivated when an old version is decommissioned. This will only affect cloud files still using the older version. Typically we will only store cloud files in our server for one or two concurrent versions at one time. When a new version is released, the old server is deactivated to ensure optimal performance for cloud files. 

Hope this helps, please let me know if you have any questions. 

Cheers,
David P
MYOB Moderator Team
redback_p
1 Post
Cover User
Australia
redback_p
Cover User

1Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Previous upgrades have been easy to install & we can get back to business quickly but this one was a nightmare.  On the 4th attempt my file actually upgraded - thank god because I don't have time for all this stuffing around.  What's more I find it offensive to be told that I won't be able to access my files that I create for a business that I run with software that I pay for.  Seriously get it right next time MYOB.

MYOB Moderator Neil_M
11,348 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Neil_M
MYOB Moderator

11348Posts

1292Kudos

1593Solutions

HI @redback_p

Sorry to hear of your difficulties in getting the file upgraded. Out of curiosity are you able to clarify the upgrade issues that you were experiencing, so that I can pass them onto the team?

We do periodically decommission older version servers, to allow the newer releases to be hosted on the cloud and receive the best possible performance. When a decommissioning is scheduled we do endeavour to give our clients as much notice as possible so that they can upgrade and continue working with minimal disruption

Regards,
Neil

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Super User sholt73
917 Posts
Super User
Australia
sholt73
Super User

917Posts

555Kudos

44Solutions

I have spent some time reading through the comments on this thread and I can't find a satisfying answer for this.

why are there no background updates?

I completely get the move to later builds in order to utilise new features, and yada yada, that's good tech's been doing it for decades, though with current markets. There are background updaters that update the software for you with the latest build. it seems the latest build is a packaged software using it's own settings and modules.

that seems in poor design to what I've seen people use it for. is it used in case some users stop paying and accountants/bookkeepers/it people need to open the file in the relevant release and it can't be opened in later builds?

that is the only way I can think of it being a useful feature. even port numbers change! why?

it's a small rant, but certainly relevant to what me and my people use it for.

MYOB Moderator Steven_M
31,038 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
Steven_M
MYOB Moderator

31038Posts

3923Kudos

4519Solutions

Hi @sholt73

While we would love to see the option for automatic updates being delivered to clients and those updates being installed, it is not something that we are actively working on with the AccountRight range at this time.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Contributing Cover User Craenda1
5 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Craenda1
Contributing Cover User

5Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

i keep getting error messages and file extension not supported on windows 7  how do i get around this

Experienced Cover User Nereida-SCPS
17 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Nereida-SCPS
Experienced Cover User

17Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

After 6 hours of struggling with this same problem I just found this answer.  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU You have saved me from being imprissoned for willfull damage to property or worse lol.

Who'd of thought just by adding .exe to the file extension could fix it

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post