We've installed an update

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
AnnaB1
Experienced Cover User
22 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

22Posts

10Kudos

1Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Has anyone else this morning received a pop up saying 
Accountright 2021.1.1??

We are on 2021.1.24

See attached PICture. 
Do we restart or is this a hack????

MYOB.PNG
13 REPLIES 13
Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: We've installed an update

Hi @AnnaB1 

In AccountRight 2021.1 we introduced automatic updates which is what you are seeing in your screenshot. This means that AccountRight now checks for available updates, downloads them and updates to the latest version automatically. 

Once AccountRight 2021.1 is installed any future updates will download automatically in the background while AccountRight is being used. When an update has been downloaded, you'll be asked to restart AccountRight to complete the update. If you're using an online file, doing this will trigger the file to be upgraded to the latest version if no one else is using it.

You can find detailed information on automatice updates in this help article: Getting the latest version

Please let me know if you need further help.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

AndrewStephen
Valued Cover User
1,307 Posts
Valued Cover User
Australia
Valued Cover User

1,307Posts

193Kudos

17Solutions

Hi @Tracey_H 

How about giving us warning that an update is about to be released and what the changes are in that update.

Better still how about prompting that there is an update do you want to download.

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Hi @AndrewStephen 

We have released a small update to the AccountRight 2021.1 PC edition users. This does include some small under the hood changes and will result in a new version number.

As this is the first bulk update we have done for those users, your feedback is important to make an overall experience going forward so I have shared that with the team.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

AnnaB1
Experienced Cover User
22 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

22Posts

10Kudos

1Solutions

Was there??

I must have been asleep when that came through...

I never got any notification..

The_Doc
Ultimate Partner
1,537 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

1,537Posts

236Kudos

162Solutions

Hi @Steven_M 

I have posted elsewhere on this very subject - this is going to bite MYOB in the tail unless my understanding is wrong.

Yes I just got a prompt - I screenshot it - I have MYOB AR PC 2021.1  installed hence it auto updates - but I just do not want it updated wanted - OK this is a minor update - but what if it was 2021.2 - which requires a full install on a server environment!!!!!

Many, or most of my clients run MYOB via a terminal server environment - and this should now be only the SE install.

The scenrio that has just happened - my own son's business - AR 2021.1 SE is installed on our admin Terminal Server - our admin staff access MYOB online from that server - it is SE - so the update there will happen according to when I want it to happen.

However, I do not work through that server - I logon directly from home or at work from my laptop - at present it is the PC version - it is now updated - had it been 2021.2 (the auto update) will have over written the AR 2020.1 install and installed 2021.2 ) i.e it would not be a new and distinct install (which would permit me to continue to run 2021.1 for my file online) - and if I now am the 1st person to logon to it (I am the administrator) - it would say - do you want to upgrade - I am stuck - as I no longer have the previous install to use.

And now think of all the other similar situations that will occur when someone (with administrator permissions) just upgrades the file (without thinking - online) and now all server administrators are running around being forced to upgrade the server urgently - because someone, 1 person, somewhere in the pecking order for that file (but with admin permissions) upgraded.

Honestly MYOB - unless I have this nightmarish scenario very wrong - this is a fix that jsut didn't need fixing.

The Doc

Mike_James
Ultimate Partner
5,839 Posts
Ultimate Partner
New Zealand
Ultimate Partner

5,839Posts

1,080Kudos

755Solutions

Hi @The_Doc , I note that version 2021.x is installed to a folder called Current, not to a version numbered folder. Also the installed program has no version number. So every version from here on will just update the previous one.

Regards, Mike (mike@datawise.co.nz)
DataWise Limited (www.datawise.co.nz), developers of:
DataWise ProActive - Custom Reporting from MYOB programs
(MYOB Business, including AccountRight Live, AccountRight v19.x and exo Payroll)

Bulk download of attachments (more details...)

The_Doc
Ultimate Partner
1,537 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

1,537Posts

236Kudos

162Solutions

Hi @Mike_James 

Wait for the screams and shouts and the fallout to this unthoughtout change.!!!!

The Doc

AndrewStephen
Valued Cover User
1,307 Posts
Valued Cover User
Australia
Valued Cover User

1,307Posts

193Kudos

17Solutions

Hi @Mike_James 

Not exactly, currently is only for the local settings, diagnosics logs etc.

AR is now installed into C:\Users\Andrew.Stephen\AppData\Local\Programs\MYOB\AccountRight
with each version gettings its only folder ie app-2021.100.242833 and the update app-2021.01.243611

The Huxley.Application.exe file is now a file loader to the latest version and gets updated when the update installs.

When AR2021.1 starts it checks for an update.

This download into a new folder plus application loader also gets update.

The catch is you need to close AR2020.1 before you can load the new version.

There is in app prompts to say there is a new version, but this is no good if the update included a database update.    There should also be a prompt before loading the company file to say there is new update and giving the user the option to close and reopen, rather than going through the process to load the company file having to close only to reopen straight away.

The other issue I can see is management of HDD space.  As you can't uninstall the updates now, each update will use approx 400mb of HDD space and will need manual deleting by users which isn't ideal.

I guess only time will tell is proper through was put into this entire process of auto updates, but it doesn't look promising at this stage.

AlanT
Partner
2,368 Posts
Partner
Australia
Partner

2,368Posts

408Kudos

424Solutions

Hi @AndrewStephen 

The other issue I have is my country clients with poor internet connection where I either download the new version installations onto a USB drive and take it to their office to install the update so that it won't impact their other users.

Oh did I say country clients?  I also have two clients in Arcadia (yeah that's 42km by road from the centre of Sydney) who don't have NBN and the two businesses share an ADSL connection.

Let's see how that works when an update is required (twice) and I can't delay it to an appropriate time.

AlanT

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post