Working on a local file with multiple users on the same computer

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Acu-ease
Trusted User
49 Posts
Trusted User
Australia
Trusted User

49Posts

16Kudos

3Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Working on a local file with multiple users on the same computer

Hi there.

We're using Account Right Premier offline. Is it possible to have the same file open and functional in 2 local user accounts on the same computer, so it doesn't have to be closed before switching to another user account?

I read an older post that suggested setting the file up on a network library, for use on different computers, so it seems to be possible for several people to work on an offline file simultaneosly. Can I just put it in a shared folder for use on the same computer?

Thanks,

Annette

3 REPLIES 3
Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Re: Working on a local file with multiple users on the same computer

Hi @Acu-ease 

AccountRight 2020 will handle multiple users logging into the company file from the same computer at the same time. You would be looking at opening two instances of the program and have them each log into one of the instances.

In terms of company file storage, the company file would need to be stored in a local drive in relation to those users. This way those users can select the Open a Company File>>My library to access the file. Help Article: Manage libraries has more information on company file storage and what can be done to move the library location if needed.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

Acu-ease
Trusted User
49 Posts
Trusted User
Australia
Trusted User

49Posts

16Kudos

3Solutions

Hi Steven

I can't get this to work properly.

I've set up sharing permissions (read/write) for the company file in the main user account, and am able to open it from the other local account on this computer.

Changes I make in the company file that's open in either user account don't show up in the company file that's open in the other user account.

I'm quite sure that I have the same file open in both, as I checked the last recorded transaction when I opened it.

What do I need to do to get the 2 instances to reflect each other's changes?

Thanks,

Annette

Acu-ease
Trusted User
49 Posts
Trusted User
Australia
Trusted User

49Posts

16Kudos

3Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

I figured out what the issue was:

After I opened the company file in the other user account, MYOB created another library folder on that account and saved a copy of the file there.

When I opened it in the main user account, it used the file stored in that account's library, and when I opened it in the other user account it opened the file stored in that account's library.

Solution:

I used the "Set Library Location" function (from the search bar next to the windows start icon in the bottom left corner of the screen) to change the library location for the secondary user account to be the location of the library in the main user account. (MYOB had to be closed for that, otherwise it didn't work properly.) Then I removed the copy of the company file from the location where MYOB had put it in the secondary user account.

Now both user accounts are accessing it simultaneously from the one library location.

I still get an error when I do a backup from the secondary account, but can circumvent this by adding something to the file name.

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post