6 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

6Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

huxley.library.windowsservice High CPU Usage

Hi,

We are running the server componant on Windows 2019 Server. After upgrading to the latest version the huxley.library.windowsservice has been using very high CPU usage (40-50%) even when no one is using MYOB. 

I rang support but they just fob me off as it being an issue with my server nothing to do with the software, didn't even want to see logs. I can also see that there are a number of people on the forums that have had this issue, did anyone ever get it resolved on their installation? Does reinstalling correct the issue? Do you have to re-create the library?

This is installed on a server so the least amounts of reboots will be helpful if anyone has any info as to why the sudden spike when I upgraded to the latest version.

10 REPLIES 10
The_Doc
Ultimate Partner
1,158 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

1,158Posts

245Kudos

132Solutions

Re: huxley.library.windowsservice High CPU Usage

Hi @tsupport 

I have been using MYOB software on Microsoft servers for a long time - 25 yrs plus - and traditionally MYOB has always been a resource hog.

However, this has always been manageable - having said that the client I could have tested your concern on - a high user of MYOB through terminal services has moved on BECAUSE of this very situation - in that we had to hive a single TS to 2 servers to manage this.

However, it does seem odd that (as you say) - upgrading to 2021.2 has suddenly seen a spike in CPU usage - between models - albiet MYOB has always been a high user.

You didn't tell us your configuration - i.e. how many users; what you resources are; are you running in TS mode; how big your files(s) are; are you running local files or online; is someone running a lot of reports, etc

My suggestion is - dig deeper - look for idling and then someone hogging resources - reports will ALWAYS spike the CPU.

The Doc

tsupport
Contributing User
6 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

6Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi,

This usage is idle.

We have 1 user and they have the client software installed locally on their workstation and then the library is on the server. This CPU usage was on a day that they were away so I could upgrade the server and so no users were using it, it's just the server running. No one running reports.

We have several company files that range from 11mb to 25mb so I really don't understand why it's using so much CPU.

The_Doc
Ultimate Partner
1,158 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

1,158Posts

245Kudos

132Solutions

Hi @tsupport 

That really is a bad way to setup MYOB - essentially you are running this in a Server - Client mode and MYOB whether V19 or AR 2021 is not ideal in that config - and in my opnion unneccessary.

You will have installed AR 2021.2 SE on the server just so the 1 staff member can see the file from their desktop, and then you install either AR 2021.2 PC version or SE version on the PC to run it.

The files you are running are miniscule and will not tax the network.

SE installed on the server has 4 services running - it will be these services taking the CPU time - 

Goto services and turn them off 1 by one and which is spiking the CPU - most of those services are not required 

1. MYOB AccountRight Library

2. MYOB AccountRight Server 2021.2

3. MYOB AccountRight Server Locator

4. MYOBAPIService

1. Is only needed if you are running the file locally from the server from its library 

2. This is the server service enabling the file to be seen across the network from a network drive

3. Not sure - seems to function fine if off - turnoff and see what CPU does

4. Not needed unless you  are using API - which I don't think you are - go to 'program'in control panel and uninstall this - it is a spearate install - turn off service and see if it shuts CPU spike down.

Personally I would be running MYOB directly from the PC using it - and backing it up to the server rather than running it from the server or run the SErver in Terminal Server mode for MYOB use.

Hopefully this will give you a bit of food for thought.

The Doc

tsupport
Contributing User
6 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

6Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi,

I know that the service that is the issue is the "MYOB AccountRight Library" service and I have turned that service off temporarly and the CPU usage stoped.

The issue is that we don't want the files on the local machine, we want them on the server and then be accessed by the client, but I don't see any way for this to happen as MYOB doesn't allow you to open files directly from the server you have to create a library and there is no individual library product to put on the server only the whole package.

Seems like it time to get a product that actually supports networks.

The_Doc
Ultimate Partner
1,158 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

1,158Posts

245Kudos

132Solutions

Hi @tsupport 

I am not sure how you came by the suggestion that MYOB will not allow a local library - because that is EXACTLY what it DOES allow - as mentioned I have been running MYOB V19,V18,V17 ........ Premier, Enterprise; AccoutRight 2018, 2019,2020, 2021 from a Server for over 20 years and it runs fine  - if you know what you are doing.

Typically when you install SE on a Server it makes the default library as C:\Public\Documents\AccountRight  which is accessible by all - however, being the SE version you can point the library to any directory or drive attached to that SERVER - or if it doesn't allow that - make it a network drive and point it - it works fine.

The Library Service is only relevant if you put the files in the default library - but believe me it works fine.

Having said that - you do need to have Terminal Services running and hence each client opens a session but essentially rubs MYOB as a local user.

What you are doing is storing the MYOB file on the server - and porting it via the MYOB SE as a network file so that a client can see it - that is fine in your circumstance but it is not the most efficient setup for MYOB - especially if you have only 1 client using it.

Or just put it online - believe me that will solve all your problems - I was resistant to this for a long time but it is secure - as fast as running it locally (assuming you have NBN where you are) if not - no, not a good idea.

Ther Doc

tsupport
Contributing User
6 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

6Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi,

Not sure that I'm explaining it clearly, We want to store the MYOB files on our file server and not on the client machine. We are not running a terminal server just a file server with a laptop.

When you install accountrights on the client (Laptop) the only option when you try and open a company file on our file server drive says that it will copy the file to your local library which then copies that file down onto the laptop and we want to keep the file on the server.

This is why we have installed the SE version on our file server and then added the files to the se library which we then access via the network library option on the client. A lot of messing around just so we can store the files on our file server rather than the laptop and on the file server is where the high CPU usage is happening sharing this network licence.

The_Doc
Ultimate Partner
1,158 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

1,158Posts

245Kudos

132Solutions

Hi @tsupport 

Ok understood now but messy - a simple way which I think should work is uninstall SE from the server - not needed.

I think this will work - either map the drive on the server where the MYOB file is to the PC as a drive - Install SE on the PC and you should be able to see it from the PC - 

If not yep messy but that is because MYOB doesn't use the Microsoft Network protocols - it uses it own port and networking which is irrespective of Windows permissions.

The Doc

tsupport
Contributing User
6 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

6Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Yeah this is the only way we can get it to work as mapped drives do not appear in the local copy of the software and you can't add a mapped drive to a local library.

Unless anyone else has some other suggestion I guess we are stuck, still doesn't resolve the issue with the high CPU usage for the library.

The_Doc
Ultimate Partner
1,158 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

1,158Posts

245Kudos

132Solutions

Hi @tsupport 

Not sure you quite got my suggestion - make the server storage the network drive - install SE on the PC - uninstall SE on the server as not required - that gets rid of the CPU usage problem.

Now create a network resource in the SE on the PC to the server - and that should work.

The Doc

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post