Australia
ProduceCartons
Contributing Cover User

9Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

ABA file not being accepted by our bank

We bank with ANZ and they have changed the way payments are made. When I upolad the ABA file generated by MYOB, it rejects it, as it is not in the right format. I rang MYOB today and you said I could manually change the ABA file. I have tried that and it is still not working. ANZ said that it is a MYOB issue.

One of the issues for example is that there should be a space between the payees BSB and their account number.

As you can imagine, I need to be able to get this fixed asap so I can pay our suppliers and employees.

Thanks

April Sweet

4 REPLIES
MYOB Moderator Steven_M
26,179 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
Steven_M
MYOB Moderator

26179Posts

3030Kudos

3841Solutions

Re: ABA file not being accepted by our bank

Hi @ProduceCartons

AccountRight will use a generic file format for bank files called ABA* which is standardised across the majority of Australian banks.  From my understanding, there haven't been any specific changes to that format. Although, some banks will update their required format thus making a standardised ABA file format invalid.

If that has occurred for yourself and your bank, I would consult your bank to indicate that you are having trouble and that MYOB does use the standardised ABA file format. If they are not in a position to allow for that standardised file format you could look at taking a copy of the ABA file created by AccountRight, edit the ABA file CAREFULLY in Notepad or a similar product to meet their requirements before saving back as an ABA File for upload.

It should also be noted that on the ANZ website document: ANZ Transactive Global File Format that no space is required between a payee's BSB and account number for a detail record

*ABA standing for Australian Bankers Association

Kind Regards,
Steven
MYOB Client Support
Contributing Cover User ProduceCartons
9 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
ProduceCartons
Contributing Cover User

9Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks Steven, I have included a copy of a sample ABA file sent to me by ANZ by their operator who said to me that there should be a space.

I have also included a copy of their get ready guide which describes some of the changes regarding ABA files.

MYOB Moderator Steven_M
26,179 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
Steven_M
MYOB Moderator

26179Posts

3030Kudos

3841Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved Solution

Hi @ProduceCartons

The Get Ready Guide is basically talking about changes with the Internet Banking and adding users information. From an ABA file point of view, the key information (Section 2: File Import Changes) is indicating that you need to include a Direct Entry User ID and additional information or a self-balancing transaction. A Direct User ID and indicating to include a self-balancing transaction line can be enabled in AccountRight through the Accounts>>Account Lists>>Required Bank Account>>Banking Tab and entering/enabling that option. Note: A Direct User ID is information you get from the Bank and is not associated with MYOB.

In terms of the example ABA file format you have been provided, the top section of that document has been formatted with the space, I would assume for ease of viewing. If you actually look at the lower half of the document it will list the character position of which should be field should be:

Attachment2.PNG

What the above is indicating that a payee's BSB should populate characters 2 -8 on the row with the account number starting at character position 9 and going to 17. As the character position follows on i.e. 8 then 9 based on that format, that space doesn't appear to need to be included in the ABA file.

Although, it should be mentioned that AccountRight still uses the typical standardised format for ABA files. If a particular bank has decided to navigate from that normal standard, which they are entirely welcome to do, standardised formatted ABA files may not function as intended.

Kind Regards,
Steven
MYOB Client Support
Contributing Cover User ProduceCartons
9 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
ProduceCartons
Contributing Cover User

9Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks Steven,

I had changed the Direct User ID and that didn't seem to help. After spending the afternoon yesterday looking at the ABA file to no avail, as that seemed ok, I spoke to someone different from ANZ this morning, and the problem was that I was using the incorrect User ID. Now all good.

Thanks for your help

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post