MYOBCommunity
Partner Zone
|
|
Partner Zone

Allocating customer payments to a customer when the invoices being paid can't be identified

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Highlighted
Contributing Cover User DianneD41239
6 Posts
Contributing Cover User
New Zealand
DianneD41239
Contributing Cover User

6Posts

6Kudos

1Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Allocating customer payments to a customer when the invoices being paid can't be identified

Hi,

I have some customer payments where I cannot identify which invoices are being paid. Is it possible to allocate the payment to the customer but not to specific invoices until such time as the invoices can be identified? At the moment these payments haven't been entered on MYOB. What is the best way to deal with this? I am using Account Right 2016.2

4 REPLIES 4
MYOB Moderator Steven_M
29,891 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
Steven_M
MYOB Moderator

29891Posts

3664Kudos

4382Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved Solution

Re: Allocating customer payments to a customer when the invoices being paid can't be identified

Hi @DianneD41239

Welcome to the MYOB Community Forum, I hope you find it a wealth of knowledge

Applying an advance payment can be done in two ways.

1) Applying the payment to a closed invoice

To apply a payment to a closed invoice you would go to Sales>>Receive Payments>>Select the Customer>>In the bottom left tick Include Closed invoices. In the amount applied section you would enter the amount the advance payment is for and apply it to the payment to a closed sale, also entering the amount in the amount received section and recording that payment.

2) Apply the payment to a zero dollar invoice.

To apply the payment to a zero dollar invoice you first would need to create the invoice via the Sales>>Enter Sales>>Select the Customer>>Select to record the Sale (without entering any other data – could change the date, invoice number if required)>> You will get an error message relating to it has very little information you would select ok. Now you would go to Sales>>Receive payments>>Select the customer>>Select the Include Closed sale option. Process the payment as per normal and apply the payment to the zero dollar invoice.

Both of the above solution will result in a credit note which can be seen and processed via the Sales>>Sales Register>>Returns and Credits Tab. You can either pay a refund on that deposit with the Pay Refund button or apply the deposit to a sale when it gets created via the Apply to sale button.

Do let us know how you get on and if you require further assistance

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

6 Posts
Contributing Cover User
New Zealand
DianneD41239
Contributing Cover User

6Posts

6Kudos

1Solutions

Re: Allocating customer payments to a customer when the invoices being paid can't be identified

Hi, Thank you for your quick response.
I used the zero dollar invoice option and called the invoice "unallocated cash" so that it is clear that this payment still needs to be allocated. The only thing I don't like is that when the payment eventually gets allocated to an invoice, it will show as a credit being applied and not as a payment. Also, is there a good way of keeping track of these payments that still need to be allocated? Is there any report that would highlight these?
Regards, Dianne
MYOB Moderator Neil_M
10,813 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Neil_M
MYOB Moderator

10813Posts

1214Kudos

1530Solutions

Hi Dianne ( @DianneD41239 )

AccountRight is pretty good at keeping track of those credits for you. If you go up to Setup >> Preferences >> Sales, there is a preference “Warn if Customer has an outstanding Credit Before Applying a Payment”. If you have this preference ticked, then when you go into the Receive Payments window and select one of your customers if they have credits on file with you then you will be prompted with a message letting you know that they have a credit and do you want to apply it to an invoice.

If you want to see what credits are still in the system, you can do this in a couple of different ways. To get a very quick view of whether a customer has a credit or not, you can go into Sales >> Sales Register >> Returns and Credits. This window will show you all of the unused credits for every customer and you can filter it down from all of your customers to a single one through the use of the search by option.

If you were looking for a report to just show credits for your customers, you would be looking at running any of the customer specific sales reports. When you open these reports you will have to change the sale status to Credit and hit the run report button again. This will show you all of the credits created that fall into the specified date range.

Please don’t hesitate to post any other questions that you may have.

Regards,
Neil

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

6 Posts
Contributing Cover User
New Zealand
DianneD41239
Contributing Cover User

6Posts

6Kudos

1Solutions

Hi Neil,

Thank you very much for your assistance. This is my first time using this forum and I will be using it again to try and sort out a couple of non-urgent issues.

I like the quick sales register - returns and credits option best. These credits include not only unallocated cash, but  also overpayments, so by calling my zero invoices "unallocated cash", I can easily identify which credits are for payments that still need to be allocated to an invoice.

Regards

Dianne

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post