Automated linking of sales/supplier invoices - can we stop customers turning this on?

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
H-TS
Trusted User
461 Posts
Trusted User
Trusted User

461Posts

222Kudos

4Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Automated linking of sales/supplier invoices - can we stop customers turning this on?

Hi,

We have suddenly realised that if some of our clients are also using MYOB, they will probably be seeing the option to link our invoices to their system. Is there a way to disable this from our end?

If not, what information do they see? Do they only see the information that is visible on the invoice template we use to send the invoice to them? Or will they see it based on the default template linked to their card?

Or, worst case scenario, will they see the information exactly as it is typed into our file?

We allocate the income across a number of different general ledger codes on the invoice and use the comment field as the description on one of our templates. We do not provide this breakdown to the customer and our invoice template is set up to only show the total value of the sale. We often also have random text type in there for our internal use only, which we would not want the customer to see. 

We would prefer to continue using the "send emails from accountright" option rather than individual users' outlook files but that might change depending on the answer to this question!

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Re: Automated linking of sales/supplier invoices - can we stop customers turning this on?

Hi @H-TS 

When sending an invoice to a customer that is also an MYOB Customer they will have the option within the Invoice Portal (when viewing that invoice) for Link to MYOB. If this is enabled, it will allow for future invoices sent from that business to directly flow into the recipient's In Tray. This will prevent them from having to download the invoice and then upload it.

From a recipient's end, they see will see a PDF copy of the invoice in their In Tray automatically when the sender sends them an invoice. They will also get an email as per normal, they just don't have to arrange for the invoice to be uploaded. This PDF copy of the invoice will be dependant on the invoice form that the sender selects when sending the invoice (similar to without that link to MYOB option being enabled).

There is no provision from the sender's end to prevent that Link to MYOB from occurring, as the intention to improve the experience for the recipient, not the sender.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

H-TS
Trusted User
461 Posts
Trusted User
Trusted User

461Posts

222Kudos

4Solutions

Re: Automated linking of sales/supplier invoices - can we stop customers turning this on?

Hi @Steven_M 

I don't have a problem with any of those steps you outlined, but this process also prefills the description text when processing the invoice from the intray.

So to further clarify, the text that prefills for our customers on their enter purchase screen will be pulled from the PDF, and not directly from our MYOB file?

If I understand it correctly, then as long as there is no "description" field on our invoice template, the customer will not have any prefilled description text?

I use this function with some of our suppliers and every line on their invoice creates a line at my end. I don't want our customers having that line by line breakdown.

Thanks again.

Haydes
MYOB Product Team
6,317 Posts
MYOB Product Team
Australia
MYOB Product Team

6,317Posts

1,107Kudos

903Solutions

Hi @H-TS 

I look after this service and in short: The Link to MYOB function will be sending the full Line Item data for that Invoice that is stored in your datafile, this will include the Line Descriptions that have been entered. This will mean that your customer's will get the full line-by-line breakdown of the Invoice if you enter this in the Sales windows. It does not have any reliance on the visible fields in your Invoice PDF Template.

The reason for this is exactly what Steven said earlier:

"There is no provision from the sender's end to prevent that Link to MYOB from occurring, as the intention to improve the experience for the recipient, not the sender?

That said, I do think that giving the Sender around the Invoice Portal is a good idea. I'll write up a Card for our backlog to start looking into for a future update to the Invoice Portal.

Cheers,
Hayden
MYOB Product Team

Currently Working On:
Supplier Feeds | E-invoicing
In Tray
Previously Worked On:
MYOB Capture App | MYOB Invoices app
MYOB Support (2015-2019)

H-TS
Trusted User
461 Posts
Trusted User
Trusted User

461Posts

222Kudos

4Solutions

Thank you @Haydes 

This has not really made my Friday morning! Smiley Happy

I don't think this is made clear to MYOB users and I think there are probably a lot of people out there who haven't even realised their customers might be doing this. And sure, in most businesses it probably doesn't matter, but we all use it differently. I have been using MYOB for over 20 years and wouldn't know except that someone else in our company switched on the link for one of our suppliers. I knew about the functions but hadn't really seen a need for it since I generally retype the description to something more relevant to us anyway. 

If those suppliers also attach PDF invoices to their emails, I don't even click through to the online version to see the "link to MYOB" option.

I see this as quite a big issue in relation to data security for our file so I would appreciate this being addressed, as you have suggested, but preferably in the very next update. It really should be an opt-in for MYOB users to offer the link function to their customers, and when choosing that option, it should be made extremely clear that customers will see the actual information from MYOB.

Here's hoping not many of our customers are using this function. Who knows what internal notes and messages have been released to them?

As I understand it, the only way around this would be to turn off emailing from within MYOB? Or does that not stop it either? How would that affect customers who have already activated the link?

Is there anything in the MYOB support information explaining this? If there is, I haven't been able to find it.

H-TS
Trusted User
461 Posts
Trusted User
Trusted User

461Posts

222Kudos

4Solutions

@Haydes 

Sorry, I had another thought. Do they receive the data that is there when we send the invoice, or when they access it?

That is, as a workaround, can I send the invoice with the information for the customer, then edit it to add in our internal notes and breakdown?

Haydes
MYOB Product Team
6,317 Posts
MYOB Product Team
Australia
MYOB Product Team

6,317Posts

1,107Kudos

903Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi @H-TS 

No need to be sorry, you're asking great questions around the safety of your file and data you send to customers. Happy to answer any and all questions you might have.

While I wasn't around during the initial set up of these services, the service was initially built around specific Supplier's, such as Officeworks, Reece, Bunnings, etc, and brought across to "MYOB to MYOB" businesses on customer requests. I'm still talking to the people that work on the Invoice Portal to make improvements.

To answer your questions though; The Invoice data is stored in the Invoice Portal when that Invoice is SENT via email using the Online Emailing Services. The customer will then get the Invoice data from the Invoice Portal which will have stored those details from what was sent.

So you found the right workaround, if you send the Invoice BEFORE adding the internal lines those won't be sent to the Customer.

Note1: Be aware that re-sending the Invoice will send the updated information to the Invoice Portal.

As for Support Information, there is a Help Article linked to the set up page when the customer first clicks the Link to MYOB button. That article has a video within that does mention that it will bring over line item details, such as Descriptions. Here's the link to it: Automating Supplier Invoices (it's also the "Supplier Feeds" link in my signature.

Note2: That it shows the myob to myob features in the table which is what this service will be listed as.

Hope this covers everything, feel free to post as many questions as you have and I'll find time to answer them.

Last note: I'm always wanting to see feedback for what I work on, if you have anything that you want to see or have something that bothers you around the services in my signature feel free to send me a Private Message on this Forum and I'll get an email. You can send me a PM by clicking my Username and then clicking Send Message on the next page.

I might not be able to respond to everything in my Inbox but I do keep every email I get.

Cheers,
Hayden
MYOB Product Team

Currently Working On:
Supplier Feeds | E-invoicing
In Tray
Previously Worked On:
MYOB Capture App | MYOB Invoices app
MYOB Support (2015-2019)

H-TS
Trusted User
461 Posts
Trusted User
Trusted User

461Posts

222Kudos

4Solutions

Thank you @Haydes 

The workaround will be a lot of double entry so while it might be great for the other MYOB customer, it's not for me. So, an opt in would be great. Then, the service could be marketed as "if your supplier has opted in you can...".

Having said that and to avoid repeating myself further, I appreciated the detailed response.

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post