Beginning inventory balance, add items

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
ARAP_2020
Experienced User
20 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

20Posts

30Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Beginning inventory balance, add items

Hi, we currently maintain a spreadsheet of inventory items with the ending value recorded in the assets account for inventory and matched to the spreadsheet.  I want to move these items into MYOB -

1. I have managed to import all the items using a code and their description, and accounts for buy, sell and inventory. 

2. My question is how do I get the quantities of the items into MYOB so that the COGS calculates?  Would I need to enter in the last cost of the item into the "standard cost" box to ensure that happens? 

3. Going forward, whatever the last cost of the item is would be what we would use.  I understand there is a check box in preferences that I should not select to ensure this happens.

Please confirm/advise how to proceed?

3 REPLIES 3
Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: Beginning inventory balance, add items

Hi @ARAP_2020 

Generally speaking, if you have not used the Inventory module before within AccountRight if you use the Inventory>>Count Inventory function you can enter the required number of each item. Upon selecting to Adjust the Inventory you would be prompt to enter that count as an opening balance:

Attachment2.PNG

This will go through and generate the necessary opening balances record for those items. Note: If you have used the inventory before in the company file you would not receive that prompt and it will adjust the inventory according to the default adjustment account selected by the user.

If you have used Inventory before or just wish to adjust inventory you can either use the Count Inventory function or Adjust Inventory function to generate that one. Count Inventory basically feeds into Adjust Inventory, you just enter the quantity and AccountRight generates the Adjust Inventory transaction for you to review or adjust before recording. Although, you are welcome to bypass this step and use the Adjust Inventory function. More information on those functions can be found on Help Articles: Recording stocktakes and Making inventory Adjustments.

Once you have added the quantity on hand and the value of the inventory, the system will calculate the average cost of the item, which in turn, is used for the cost of sales amount. (Current value / Quantity on Hand) = Average Cost, Average Cost x items being sold = Cost of sales amount.

When you record a bill by default the system will use the Last Purchase Price of that item (can be seen in the Buying Details of the Item record). If you wish to use the Standard Cost of the item, Setup>>Preferences>>Inventory - Use Standard Cost as the Default Price on Purchase Orders and Bills needs to be enabled. If that preference is not enabled, the Last Purchase Price of the item will be used.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

ARAP_2020
Experienced User
20 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

20Posts

30Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @Steven_M 

Can I import the opening balances?

Thanks.

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Hi @ARAP_2020 

While you can import adjust inventory transactions through the Import/Export Assistant, there is no way to make these show as opening balances. The recommendation would be to use the Count Inventory function if you are needing to enter opening inventory balances for the company file.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post