Can't apply purchase returns to supplier invoice

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Highlighted
Contributing User Soni
8 Posts
Contributing User
Australia
Contributing User

8Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Can't apply purchase returns to supplier invoice

Hello 

Is anyone familiar with the following issue in the Returns & Debit screen? 

I try to apply an existing debit (an overpayment) to open invoices but when I am in the 'Apply Purchase' screen it doesn't show my open invoices, even though I can see them in the register.  

Am I missing something or have I got an incorrect setting with the supplier?

Thanks in advance.

Soni

6 REPLIES 6
MYOB Product Team Haydes
6,187 Posts
MYOB Product Team
Australia
MYOB Product Team

6,187Posts

1,013Kudos

0Solutions

Re: Can't apply purchase returns to supplier invoice

Hi @Soni

Do you happen to use Category Tracking? If so, Credit Notes can only be applied to Purchases with the same Category.

If you have created a Credit Note manually, you may need to edit your Credit Note to include the same Category. As a Credit Note with no Category won't see a Purchase with one, here's an example:

temp.png

The purchase on the left is a Credit note with no Category

Let me know if this doesn't apply to you.

Cheers,

Hayden (Ex-Moderator)
MYOB Product Team
Contributing User Soni
8 Posts
Contributing User
Australia
Contributing User

8Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Hayden

Perfect explanation, thank you, I should have picked it up myself.  The credits are mostly due to overpayments, rather than credit notes.

We use multiple categories on our invoice entries, however past operators have made some errors resulting in overpayments on quite a few of our supplier accounts.  I'm now reconciling these to correct the overpayments .. is there any way around the category issue, that would allow me to apply past overpayments to current invoices or do I have to leave them as unapplied payments?  Current invoices also have multiple categories.

Thank you,

Soni

MYOB Product Team Haydes
6,187 Posts
MYOB Product Team
Australia
MYOB Product Team

6,187Posts

1,013Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @Soni

With how the system is designed there is no way around this particular process. The reason for Credits only being applied to Purchases with the same category is so that when you look up Category reports these reconcile correctly.

Though with your comment that current Purchases have multiple Categories, can I ask how this was done? The software should only allow 1 Category per-transaction. However with Jobs you can apply multiple Job codes to 1 transaction to help split up the work from the Purchase/Sale. Though the use of Jobs won't prevent Credits from being applied at all.

In the current case, in order to apply the Credit you would need to open the Purchase(s) you're applying a Credit to and check out the Category in bottom right and then open the Credit Note and use the same Category.

Let me know if you have any other questions on this!

Cheers,

Hayden (Ex-Moderator)
MYOB Product Team
Contributing User Soni
8 Posts
Contributing User
Australia
Contributing User

8Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Sorry Hayden, I've written it the wrong way.  The individual invoices only have one category, but the overpayments apply to multiple invoices, each with possibly a different category meaning I can't fully allocate the whole overpayment.  I think, from your explanation, I'm not able to do this.

Soni

MYOB Product Team Haydes
6,187 Posts
MYOB Product Team
Australia
MYOB Product Team

6,187Posts

1,013Kudos

0Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi @Soni

Ah no worries, I understand now. So in order to apply a Credit to those particular Purchases what we will need to do is have multiple Credits with the relevant Categories assigned to the relevant Supplier, this will mean that you would need to create multiple credits for the 1 Supplier and each category assigned to them.

How I'd do it is:

1. Get a list of Purchases that will have Credits applied and note down each Category and amount

2. Write down somewhere each Category underneath it with the relevant amounts, for example:

Cat 1: $150

Cat 2: $50

etc

Now that we have that, we'd need to get rid of the original Credit Note and create the multiples:

3. Go to your Accounts List and create a new Clearing Account with the type: Bank. (Call it: Category Clearing or something that will help you identify it)

4. In your Purchases Register, under Returns and Credits use Pay Refund for the original Credit Note to pay into the new Clearing Account so the full amounts are in that account.

This is where we create the multiple Credit Notes:

5. Go to: Purchases > Enter Purchases, and select the Supplier

6. Set the Layout to Miscellaneous (Layout button is at the top for AR 2018 and at the bottom for AR V19)

7. Once set, allocate the Purchase to the Clearing Account and then enter the Negative Value for the first Category

8. After this is entered, set the Category to the first one as well so this can find the Purchase we want and click Record.

Then just repeat steps (5-8) process until you have individual credits to apply to each Purchase this will go to. Then you can go back to Returns and Credits and apply each Credit to it's relevant Purchase or Purchases

Some notes:

You may want to change the ID# for the Negative Purchases to something like "CREDIT" or something similar for identification (other users prefer this convention)

You may want to check the Tax Codes also so that these are the same as the Purchases you're applying these too.

Let me know if you have any questions along the way.

Cheers,

Hayden (Ex-Moderator)
MYOB Product Team
Contributing User Soni
8 Posts
Contributing User
Australia
Contributing User

8Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions