Cost of Sales Account

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
fiona12345
Contributing User
6 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

6Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Cost of Sales Account

When I look at the general ledger account for a date range for our cost of sales account it lists purchases and it also lists sales, both on the debit side. Is this correct? Is it something to to with some items being bought and inventoried and other's not. Just seems strange to me to see sales listed in the cogs account.

1 REPLY 1
Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: Cost of Sales Account

Hi @fiona12345 

Thanks for your post. You're correct that the reason for this involves inventory. When you set up an item and select I Inventory This Item you then link the applicable Cost of Sales Account. So when the item is sold the cost of sale account is debited and the inventory account credited as part of the sale transaction.

If you're unsure which accounts are affected when you record a transaction, open the transaction and then Crtl + R on your keyboard. This opens the Recap Transaction window which shows the journal entry for that transaction. This example is for an item sale

recap.PNG

Please let me know if you need further help.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to help other users find this information.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post