Customer overpaying and had to refund

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Madge24
Experienced Cover User
20 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Experienced Cover User

20Posts

4Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Customer overpaying and had to refund

Morena,

In NZ, Accountright- I have had a customer pay their invoice twice. I paid the customer back.

I applied the amount in bank feeds to their closed invoice, which created a credit.

I then went to Returns/Credits - and paid refund.

My questions is - in banking, how do I record/match the withdrawal?

Do I spend money or what? Or should I have done something different and not refunded this?

Thank you in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: Customer overpaying and had to refund

Hi @Madge24 

With double payments on an invoice, you would make the first payment as per normal using the Sales>>Receive Payments window. For the second payment, you would complete that Receive Payments process again. However, you would likely need to tick Include Closed Sales before applying that payment to the closed invoice ($0.00 invoice). By applying that payment to the closed invoice a credit note will be created. This credit note can be seen via Sales>>Sales Register>>Returns & Credits. Within this window, you can apply that credit to an outstanding invoice (current or future) or pay a refund on it. Check out Help Articles: Customer overpayments and double payments & Settling customer credits for more information on that topic.

I understand you are more looking at the banking side of things, using the above process will create two deposits and one withdrawal. These come about from the two Recieve Payments (1 x normal payment, 1 x second payment) and one Pay Refund (Settle Returns/Credits) transactions. So, in your case, you mentioned that you have recorded that Pay Refund transaction, as such you should be good to go by selecting the Find option and match to that Pay Refund (Settle Returns/Credits) transaction

Should that Pay Refund (Settle Returns/Credits) transaction not be appearing in the Find window for the bank feeds, ensure that the dates, amounts, and accounts match up on the bank feed and AccountRight transactions. I would also make sure that the transaction appears in the Reconcile Accounts window for that account and it is not ticked in that window.

Do let us know how you get on and if you require further assistance.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

Madge24
Experienced Cover User
20 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Experienced Cover User

20Posts

4Kudos

0Solutions

Re: Customer overpaying and had to refund

Hi Steven,

This is perfect thank you. It was the find and match bit that I couldn't figure out.

Thank you so very much.

Madge

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post