Delete a bill that has received stock

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
sueby01
Experienced User
12 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

12Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Delete a bill that has received stock

Hi there, I have incorrectly entered a order as a bill which has received the goods. I have tried to delete purchase but error message "delection of this sale of item ("product") would value your inventory at less than $0.00. I am using Accountright

7 REPLIES 7
Emily_B
1,327 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

1,327Posts

0Kudos

170Solutions

Re: Delete a bill that has received stock

Hello @sueby01 

To correct this, you can to an inventory adjustment to increase the stock you have on hand to reflect the amount on the bill. Please have a look at this Help Article: Making inventory adjustments and follow the steps listed. You should then be able to delete the bill as needed. Please do let me know if I can assist further.

Kind regards,
Emily

MYOB Community Support

sueby01
Experienced User
12 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

12Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Emily,

The bill automatically entered the stock as received. I was meant to order 130 items as we have nil and our inventory is showing as 130. If I decrease the inventory by 130 will it affect our costings?

sueby01
Experienced User
12 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

12Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

I have followed link and done as stated but it comes up with an error message saying "The value of your inventory must be less than zero". I have decreased inventory by the exact amount i have entered on bill

Emily_B
1,327 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

1,327Posts

0Kudos

170Solutions

Hi @sueby01 

That error message is essentially letting you know that the dollar value of the inventory must be equal to or over the value shown on the bill. Without knowing all the details of your inventory on that item and its value, consider this example:

Assume your bill is for 130 items at $2 per item. That stock of 130 has a total value of $260. To do a straightforward adjustment of -130, you must have inventory on hand equivalent to or exceeding that amount, and it must be valued at the equivalent or exceeding amount. In other words, you wouldn't be able to delete the bill for 130 items if you only had 120 on hand, and you wouldn't be able to make a -130 adjustment if the dollar value of the stock on hand is less than $260.

So if your on hand quantity and/or on hand dollar value is less than what is showing on that bill, the adjustment would not work and you would receive an error.

To correct this, please do the following. Increase the quantity of that item by 1 over what you see on the bill, i.e., make an adjustment for +131 on hand. Then, increase the total value to $1 more than what's on the bill. In the example above, if each item is $2 and the total value on the bill is $260, you would increase the total value in AR to $261 (do this as it applies to the dollar value on your bill). This should now allow you to delete the bill because you have more on hand quantity and value than what is shown on the bill. When you delete the bill, you will still have 1 item valued at $1 left. Lastly, in a seperate adjustment, you can reduce the on hand quantity by 1 and the on hand value by $1, leaving you with 0 items at $0. 

Let me know how that goes for you and if I can be of any further assistance.

Kind regards,
Emily

MYOB Community Support

sueby01
Experienced User
12 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

12Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

i had previously tried to decrease stock by exactly same quantity and cost in adjust inventory and received error message. I have just increased stock by 1 item and same costing as bill which processed ok. I then went into adjust inventory and decreased qty and price by exactly same amounts as bill but i am still getting error message stating "the value of your inventory must not be less than zero" even though i am decreasing by 130 and inventory shows as 131 in stock. Sorry to be a pain Smiley Sad

Emily_B
1,327 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

1,327Posts

0Kudos

170Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hello @sueby01 

No need to apologise at all. There may be a slight misunderstanding surrounding need to do a -130 adjustment before deleting the bill. When you said "I then went into adjust inventory and decreased qty and price by exactly the same amounts as bill...", this is a step you don't need to do. The -130 adjustment is not needed, because deleting the bill will take care of that 130 and its corresponding value. But, in order to make it possible for you to delete the bill without getting an error, we need to make the software believe that on hand stock and value existed in the first place.

The inventory adjustment you're looking at doing is the increase by 131 (the amount in the bill + 1) and an increase of the dollar value shown in the bill +1. This is basically telling AccountRight that you have that amount and value on hand. It sounds like you have done this part already. So now, you should be able to delete that bill without receiving an error. When you delete the bill, that 130 and its corresponding value will go away, leaving you with that 1 additional item valued at $1. This 1/$1 can then be reduced using a separate inventory adjustment.

Does that make sense? Pleae do let me know how you get on.

Kind regards,
Emily

MYOB Community Support

sueby01
Experienced User
12 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

12Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions