Deleting a Customer Payments Applied to an Invoice

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
BrockM
1 Post
User

1Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Deleting a Customer Payments Applied to an Invoice

I cannot delete or a reverse a customer payment that has been applied agaisnt multiple invoices. 

I am logged in as Administrator. 

The box - "Transactions Can't be Changed" is unticked. 

When I view the payment screen and go edit, All options are greyed out except for recap transaction. 

How do I delete this payment? 

3 REPLIES 3
Monika3
1 Post
User

1Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

UNABLE TO DELETE PAYMENT OFF PURCHASE

Can anyone help with deleting a payment off a puchase.  I have tried deleting the Payment by going into the history of the invoice and there editing>delete payment.  Doesn't work as it says I cannot delete againsted a recoreded purchase.  There is a transfer from deposits clearing that we use ie.  we pay on order and only convert to a bill once stock is received.  Which is why it automatically creates  transfer from deposits entry to pay off the bill once converted.  However, I cannot delete any of it, not the puchase, transfer from deposits or payment of order.  I can any other time, but just not on this supplier and cant find out why.  

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Re: Deleting a Customer Payments Applied to an Invoice

Hi @BrockM 

Generally speaking, you would delete a payment transaction by opening the payment transaction i.e. the Recieve Payments transaction and selecting Edit>>Delete payment. However, that option may be greyed out if you have a customer deposit transaction situation occurring.

A customer deposit transaction occurs when you have an order, a payment is applied to that order and then that order is converted into an invoice. This means that the payment comes before the invoice and the invoice has payments on it. As a result, you aren't able to delete the invoice or the payment. You can check that you are in this situation by reviewing the history of the paid invoices (Sales>>Sales Register>>Opening the invoice(s) and selecting the History button), you will have a few lines that say Transfer from deposit listed in that transaction history.

If you are in that customer deposit situation and need to delete the payment you would be looking at Help Article: Customer deposits which outlines that process. In short, you reverse out the invoice to create a debit note and the pay a refund using that debit note. This will take you back to square one where you can enter that invoice again and payment if required.

@Monika3  it is a similar situation for you. You just have a purchases side of that situation. Help Article: Supplier deposits is our one but ultimately its the same situation.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

NiuginiLink
1 Post
User

1Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Re: Deleting a Customer Payments Applied to an Invoice

Hi Steven,

We have this situation but complicated by being is US currency. We recieved a 50% deposit and applied against the order. This was then converted to an invoice which moved the money from customer deposits abd created an exchange loss. We have a US$ bank account so we don't actually have an exchange loss as we normally change the AUD rate to be the same resulting in no loss. Unfortunately in this case we can't alter the rates on either transaction or delete/edit either. 

If I do the above reversal to create a debit note will that be able to handle the exchange loss part of the original transaction?

Graham 

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post