MYOBCommunity
Partner Zone
|
|
Partner Zone

Error with import please help - inventory adjustment

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Highlighted
Ultimate Partner BooksInTheCloud
1,471 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
BooksInTheCloud
Ultimate Partner

1471Posts

1304Kudos

154Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Error with import please help - inventory adjustment

HELP - Hoping someone can help me.

I am starting a new file for a client as there file is so large it keeps crashing. 

I have imported in all the inventory items

I am trying to do a inventory adjustment via import to bring in all the quantities and values.

I am getting this error message however it doesn't give me what items is not found?  Not helpful!

I have washed the items in the import via against the items I have imported and there is no items missing from the file.   There is 1680 items that I don't much feel like entering manuallySmiley Frustrated

Import log error inventory adjustment.jpg

If I am responding to your query and I have helped you please kindly mark my post as a solution to assist others in the future.
Warm Regards
Renae

@renae2peas
6 REPLIES 6
1,471 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
BooksInTheCloud
Ultimate Partner

1471Posts

1304Kudos

154Solutions

Re: Error with import please help - inventory adjustment

Solved my problem - export file had dropped the 00 in front of item numbers.   Would have saved me some time had the import error log told me what items they were!

Here is the link if anyone ever has a similar issue to fix the item numbers. 

https://www.extendoffice.com/documents/excel/792-excel-add-leading-zeros-to-number-text.html#excel

Onwards and upwards with EOFY!

If I am responding to your query and I have helped you please kindly mark my post as a solution to assist others in the future.
Warm Regards
Renae

@renae2peas
1,471 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
BooksInTheCloud
Ultimate Partner

1471Posts

1304Kudos

154Solutions

Ok that didn't work so what I have done is allocate a different journal number for each row.  Then inserted a blank row between each row.  So now importing as individual journals and I get individual import error logs now.  Such fun happy EOFY! 

Warm Regards
Renae

@renae2peas
Ultimate User gavin12345
2,444 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
gavin12345
Ultimate User

2444Posts

1887Kudos

357Solutions

Hi @BooksInTheCloud

I think you will find it is not that the export file drops off leading zeroes, this happens when you open the file in excel without taking an additional step. Open the exported file in notepad and I'm fairly certain the leading zeroes will be there.

When you run excel first and then open an exported txt file you will be greeted with the Text Import Wizard. On step 3 it is important to change any column that can have leading zeroes (postcode, telephone, item number, Invoice number, etc etc) to Text, not the default General. I know the particular export file you are referring to doesn't have telephone numbers however the same principle applies to all MYOB export files. See image below as an example:

snap5.jpg

You should do the same thing for account numbers otherwise some may be treated as dates (such as 4-2017 may well get treated as Apr 2017). 

FYI to save you a lot of work (an perhaps client some fees) google 'new .myox based on existing' and you will find this company can duplicate the file it is entirety (including Bank Feed rules) but without all transactions and balances for $132. You will still need to do the Inventory Adjustment journal and bring in open invoices etc, but it will save you re-creating all the payroll categories, linking then to employees, creating user profiles etc etc.

Regards

Gavin

1,471 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
BooksInTheCloud
Ultimate Partner

1471Posts

1304Kudos

154Solutions

Thanks @gavin12345 the $132.00 option I will keep in mind for future.    Have you used this service yourself were you happy with it?

Among these inventory adjustments I have also had to bring in hundreds of opening invoices some with part payments and credit notes.   

When I fixed the leading zeros I still had issues where the import log was not clear on what went wrong where. It also imported some of the journals and missed the amounts and didn't state anything was skipped in the long the either.    

Its been a long day

Warm Regards
Renae

@renae2peas
Ultimate User gavin12345
2,444 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
gavin12345
Ultimate User

2444Posts

1887Kudos

357Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved Solution

Hi @BooksInTheCloud

Yes it's not much fun when things go wrong. I have always found Inventory Adjustment Journals to be THE hardest to get through. Not so bad when starting from zero value and zero count and increasing one or both. Worse when adjusting some up and some down. One adjustment breaks the 'rules' and whole import fails.

With large inventory adjustments in many cases I would import the journals with values that would 'pass', eg 1 unit and $1.00. This would get the Inventory Adjustment journal 'in' the system, then I would manually override each unit and value to the required figures. This at  least saved manually entering each item number and account to be used. When you click OK to process the Journal, any errors would clearly show the offending entry, unlike an import.

What I would do after the import is generate an Inventory Value Reconciliation report from old file and from new file, export the reports to excel and copy and paste so both are side by side. This made identifying any discrepancy easier (esp when there are thousands of items). This approach might help you work out which values were missed during the import.

About the new .myox from existing, my understanding is this has only been available for a few weeks. I have used for one client who had sold his business and wanted to give the new owner a 'skeleton' file - all accounts, cards, items etc. I only had a quick look at the file, client was happy with result.

Good luck with the new file. 

Regards

Gavin

1,471 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
BooksInTheCloud
Ultimate Partner

1471Posts

1304Kudos

154Solutions

Thanks @gavin12345 got there in the end comparing the Inventory Value Reconciliation report.   Was a ticky file as their orignal file was so big it become corrupt and would crash half way through entering sales or purchases so when I exported out from the corrput file transactions were in the export file that did not get recorded/posted in the file.  It took some high level balancing.    It was a very long weekend and I am glad it is over..... till the next time.

Again thank you for your support it was nice to talk to someone while I was going through it allSmiley Happy

Warm Regards
Renae

@renae2peas
Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post