7 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Contributing Cover User

7Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

GETTING THE TIME BILLING ACTIVITY SHOWING UNDER JOB PROFIT & LOSS REPORT

Since STP came in I have been unable to use the payroll system to record hours spent on jobs - as the time spent does not make up any part of salaries.  I set up new suppliers and can now record time spent, this shows in various reports that I need which is great.  However I need to have the staff time that is recorded against a job showing in Job Profit & Loss.  I can not see how this can be accomplished.  Can anyone help?

This time never hits an invoice as we customise our invoices in a different way.  I do take up a journal to transfer the cost of employees to cost of sales, I do this as a total $amount for the month.  To do this per job would be far too much work. 

How I used to work it was I had employees set up in payroll and I ran a payrun at the end of the month just to push the costs through to Jobs.  Now with STP not having all relevant employee information stops the STP from passing the checks it does.  I have tried setting up employees with category as "Other" as I was advised this should stop the employee being included in STP, but this didn't work, the payruns were not being sent to the ATO covering the correct employees.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
MYOB Moderator CloverQ
7,193 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Australia
MYOB Moderator

7,193Posts

507Kudos

0Solutions

Re: GETTING THE TIME BILLING ACTIVITY SHOWING UNDER JOB PROFIT & LOSS REPORT

Hi @AccountsM 

You should be able to continue using the previous method of recording payroll transactions. 

It's correct that the employment basis should be set up as 'Other', so this employee's pay will not be reported to ATO. As you mentioned, STP will require all employee cards to have complete information, this is fine. You can enter some dummy address information in the employee card, then use one of ATO's default tax file number so it passes the check. 

I hope this helps. Please feel free to let us know how you go.

Cheers,
Clover

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Contributing Cover User AccountsM
7 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Contributing Cover User

7Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Thank you CloverQ for your reply.  Unfortunately I tried to send payroll information to the ATO which included "other" employees but the whole payrun was rejected. 

Do you happen to know if I set did a payrun of only "other" employees will MYOB try and pick up this information when it nexts connected to the ATO after I run a proper payrun?  I have experienced a lot of teething problems with the STP reporting even though its been up and running for over a year.  So I am hesitant to try more options without the confirmation from software programmers that this isn't going to cause more trouble.

MYOB Moderator Steven_M
32,166 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

32,166Posts

4,271Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @AccountsM 

If you only processed a pay run for employees where their employment basis was sent to Other the pay would be rejected by the ATO. This is due to the fact that there is nothing to report on for that pay. There is no harm in selecting to declare those pays and them rejected by the ATO. The only thing that is going to occur in that you would have a number of rejected records in the Payroll reporting centre.

The other option would be to include an employee that is required to be reported as part of that payrun, which in turn, will report that one employee. As the other employees will have the employment basis of Other they will not be reported.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post