Carrie1980
4 Posts
User
Carrie1980

4Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

GST Return not matching GST detail payment or previous version totals

My company converted from Accountright Premier v19 to Accountright 2017 in January, and our data file was converted. Today I’ve run our GST Return (payments) and the detailed payment report, and the sales amounts differ by almost $2000.

As a test, I went back to Accountright 19 and looked at our GST Return for October/November. The GST Return report showed sales of $310,413, and the detailed summary payment report showed sales of $310,417, which is fine.
Then in Accountright 2017, I ran the exact same reports, and the GST Return showed sales of $308,909, and the detailed summary payments showed $310,254. How can these amounts be different when the online version was a copy of the other file? And why would the GST Return and the summary report have differing amounts of several thousand dollars?

In our December/January reports, we have a difference of $1700 between the GST Return and the detailed payment report in our current live version as well.

I’m concerned as I don’t know which to report on and I don’t feel that I can trust the data that is in the GST Return to file my return with the IRD.
6 REPLIES
MYOB Moderator Steven_M
24,129 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
Steven_M
MYOB Moderator

24129Posts

2722Kudos

3475Solutions

Re: GST Return not matching GST detail payment or previous version totals

Hi @Carrie1980

Welcome to the MYOB Community Forum, I hope you find it a wealth of knowledge

Due to the way the GST Return works* are you able to confirm if the GST values i.e. Box 10 and 14 are the same in both versions?

Also, on the AccountRight Premier v19 GST Return what was the wording for Box 8 and 12 i.e. does it same Multiply Box 11 by three and divide by 23?

*The GST 101 will take the GST value and then work up the page to determine the sales/purchases. This is different to what clients tend to think where it would take the sales and purchase value to work the GST value off that.

Kind Regards,
Steven
MYOB Client Support
Carrie1980
4 Posts
User
Carrie1980

4Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Steven,

I've had a look a the two systems and for each month, the purchase and expense section is essentially the same, however the sales are not.  In Accountright v19 Box 10 is 40,448.74 and Box 14 is 26,456.98.  In Accountright 2017, Box 10 is 40,292.48 and Box 14 is 26,459.97.  So the GST in the new system is showing about $190 less than the old system, which in turn makes the sales just under $2000 less.  To me, it seems like when the conversion was done some of our data hasn't come through properly?

Also, what is the logic behind the 101 form using the GST and working backwards to determine the sales - I can't think of any reason why you would do it this way rather than vice versa?

Thanks

MYOB Moderator Steven_M
24,129 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
Steven_M
MYOB Moderator

24129Posts

2722Kudos

3475Solutions

Hi @Carrie1980

If there are differences in the GST 101 Returns it would be running the GST Detail Cash or Accrual report (depending on your method) for the appropriate date range. You can then compare the transactions listed in both reports. If there is a transaction/s missing it would generally mean that the incorrect file has been selected when migrating that file i.e. an older copy of the file OR the transaction(s) have been deleted since migrated.  Depending on what has occurred you could look at either re-entering those transactions into the AccountRight 2017 company file OR re-migrate the company file.

To my understanding, the GST 101 report is designed and has been requested to run up the page in accordance with the IRD requirements. I would assume as they do care about the GST portion of the transaction to be exact and due to rounding the Sales/Purchases value can be slightly different.

Kind Regards,
Steven
MYOB Client Support
Carrie1980
4 Posts
User
Carrie1980

4Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Steven,

Thats the problem though - the detail report does not match the 101 report in Accountright 2017.  Forgetting about the old system (I was comparing the 2 in order to figure out which amount was correct) and just looking at Accountright 2017 - the GST Detail Report shows the GST Collected Total as 40,467.60.  But the 101 shows the GST Collected as 40,292.48.  I can't see how these should ever be different (except for a few cents with rounding). I believe the detail report is correct, but why would the 101 be getting a different amount?

Thanks, Carrie

Carrie1980
4 Posts
User
Carrie1980

4Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Anyone? My GST Return needs to be filed and I have no idea which figure to use.
Highlighted
MYOB Moderator Steven_M
24,129 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
Steven_M
MYOB Moderator

24129Posts

2722Kudos

3475Solutions

Hi @Carrie1980

If the GST 101 is not matching the GST Detail report I would be checking the following:

• You are running the GST 101 for the correct basis as the GST Detail report i.e. if you are running the GST Detail report on an Accrual basis that you run the GST 101 on an Accrual basis.
  • The period you are selected to run the report and GST 101 for both the same i.e. you have selected the correct Last Month in Reporting Period and  GST Reporting Period
  • If you have selected to include the Year End Adjustments when preparing the statement that you do the same for the relevant GST Detail report - Display transaction report filter

Kind Regards,
Steven
MYOB Client Support
Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post