GST on Pre-Conversion Deposits incorrect

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Caroline_V
Experienced User
50 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

50Posts

9Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

GST on Pre-Conversion Deposits incorrect

Hi there

I entered 2 pre-conversion deposits on our changeover to AccountRight Premier NZ 2020 from AccountRight Premier v19.8.  These were dated 1/4/2020 being our conversion date and I am now trying to sort out our GST for 1/4-31/5/20.  We are using Payments (Cash) basis.

I've noticed that the 2 pre-conversion deposits show up in our GST reports for this period, but we have already paid GST on these deposits for the period ending 31/3/20. 

These are the steps I went through:

https://help.myob.com/wiki/display/ar/Entering+pre-conversion+deposits?searchfacet=support:help&sear... 

How do I correct this please so it doesn't show on the GST report?

Thanks,

Caroline

5 REPLIES 5
Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: GST on Pre-Conversion Deposits incorrect

Hi @Caroline_V 

From an AccountRight perspective, as a Recieve Payments transaction has been created and the invoice has been paid there will be an impact on the GST reports due to that payment transaction (assuming those reports are being run on a payments basis.

The only way to remove that would be to use a not reportable GST code on the transaction for that deposit amount, having the residual amount of the invoice (i.e. the original invoice amount less the deposit amount) as a separate line with the respective GST code. For example, say the Invoice was for $150, a $10 deposit has been paid you would be looking at having $10 as a not reportable tax code and then $140 against a reportable tax code list GST. 

However, in saying that, I would recommend speaking to an accountant in regards to the best way to handle that situation.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

Caroline_V
Experienced User
50 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

50Posts

9Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @Steven_M 

I finally worked out how to fix this.  The GST problem occurred when the Deposit was applied against the Order using Receive Payments, because the Order had S15 applied to it of course.  There is nowhere to specify the GST code during that part of the process.

My fix:

1.  Create new customer card to be used to adjust the GST (so it's kept separate from regular transactions).  In the "Ship to" address field I put a description of what it was I was rectifying so it would show on the invoices.

2.  Create 1 new credit invoice under the new customer card for the 2 deposits with the NZ S15 GST code applied.

3.  Create 1 new debit invoice under the new customer card for the 2 deposits (GST inclusive amount) with the NZ N-T GST code applied.

4.  Apply the new credit against the new debit invoice.

Now MYOB GST return is correct.

5.  Finally, I also had to do a General Journal entry to transfer the GST amount of $#### from the 2-1310 GST Collected Account to the 4-1900 Income/Sales account so that everything balanced correctly.

Now the Total GST on the Balance Sheet is correct!  😊 

Hopefully this is helpful to others as well.  Took me ages to nut it out.

Kind regards

Caroline

Caroline_V
Experienced User
50 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

50Posts

9Kudos

0Solutions

... the only thing is it's showing the GST adjustment in the Sales [Customer Summary] Report and Analyse Sales [Customer] Report now for April.  I can't edit/delete this amount from the Customer Card History for April because it's in the current FY (NZ) and the cursor doesn't select the amount for the current FY as it does for previous FYs.  (Using AccountRight Premier NZ 2020.2.2 Build 2020.2.23.9038.)

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Hi @Caroline_V 

The Analyse Sales [Customer] report will pull from a Card's History. We have recently identified that the card history doesn't update when the change is made in online company files. This does mean that once a transaction/value has been added to the history any changes to the transaction including deleting the transaction will not update the card history. As such, when you are running the Analyse Sales [Customer] report it will show the original amount regardless of whether that transaction has since been deleted or edited. This situation has been passed across to the required team for further investigation.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

Caroline_V
Experienced User
50 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

50Posts

9Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks @Steven_M  ... Yes, had the same problem with the Supplier card history last week as well.  Glad to hear it's being looked into.  Hopefully a quick and easy fix.

Kind regards

Caroline

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post