Inventory

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
tim10
3 Posts
User
User

3Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Inventory

Up until now we have not inventoried our stock items. Given the growth in our business it is now imperative we do this. When I tick "I inventory this item' it will not allow me as there are already sales & purchases for these items in the system. I understand why this is this case, however there must be someway we can get around this. Renaming all our parts is not an option. I have called the MYOB Help Desk and they have basically told me there is nothing we can do. not the answer I was looking for! This would mean implementing an entire new Accounting system which is not ideal. However if we cannot find a solution we will have no choice. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

8 REPLIES 8
GDay53
Ultimate Partner
2,594 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

2,594Posts

1,047Kudos

569Solutions

Re: Inventory

@tim10 

Welcome to the MYOB Community Forum, I hope you find plenty of useful information.

Because you are not using inventory there will be no ouantities or on hand value against any of you items.

You will need to do a stocktake and have quantities of all items on hand.

What you need to do is use the Import / Export function and export your complete stocklist to excel.

Then change the Item numbers by adding either a number or a letter to the start or end of every number.

This will in effect create a copy of all your items with new item numbers.

You will also need to add in the current quantities on hand.

Then Import back to MYOB.

You will also need to do another export and check that all your existing items have zero quantities and a zero $ value. As well as marking them inactive. Then import back to MYOB.

If you are not sure how to use the Import /Export function have a read of the following MYOB SUPPORT NOTES.

Importing and Exporting Data

Importing and Exporting Tips

Bulk Update Item Prices

If my response to your query and has helped, please mark my post as a solution to help others in the future.
Graeme Day
Registered BAS Agent #24745540
Gralord Enterprises Pty Ltd
Mobile: 0402 841 627
graemeday@optusnet.com.au
MYOB Certified Consultant
MYOB Diamond Partner
gavin12345
Ultimate User
4,954 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

4,954Posts

1,000Kudos

633Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi @tim10 

Basically you have 3 options (maybe more):

• Start a new file and set up Items with 'I Inventory'.
  • Make a backup or work on a copy of your file in case things go wrong. Export your Items. Manually renumber all existing items by placing a z in front of each ItemNumber and set as inactive. Change the setting in the export file to add 'I Inventory' and the relevant account etc. Import these as new items. You will end up with twice the number of Items, however the new items will have the same ItemNumber you originally used. You will retain all history of these items as well. If you have a large number of Items to re-number, there is a 3rd party that does this in bulk within a few hours. 
  • Get the 3rd party to delete all your items in bulk and re-import with the correct settings. The advantage of this approach is you don't end up with twice the number of Items. However you would lose some of the Item related history.

Send me a private message if you would like contact details of the 3rd party that provides this service.

Regards

Gavin

(gavinw222@gmail.com)
tim10
3 Posts
User
User

3Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Thank you Gavin for your guidance & recommending FGH Tables. Michael was extremely helpful & helped us achieve our goal. We are now able to Inventory all our items. I had very little experience with uploading files so Michael did the lot for me. Highly recommended and very grateful!

jelliebaby
Contributing User
16 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

16Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Tim,

Can I ask, did it cost anything for the 3rd party to do this process as we are in a similar boat.

Thanks

tim10
3 Posts
User
User

3Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi There,

Looks like it was $250 +gst for this service, it was a great help in the end.

Cheers.

jelliebaby
Contributing User
16 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

16Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks for that.

Unfortunately I dont think it works for AccountingRight Prem in the cloud.

Bummer as I could have really benefited from this.

gavin12345
Ultimate User
4,954 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

4,954Posts

1,000Kudos

633Solutions

Hi @jelliebaby 

I have sent you some details via private message - the service is available for online files as well.

Regards

Gavin

(gavinw222@gmail.com)
jelliebaby
Contributing User
16 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

16Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions