19 Posts
Experienced User
Nishy
Experienced User

19Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Item Sales import issue

For years we have been importing our monthly sales data into MYOB without issue.
Since upgrading from AR Plus 19.14 to AR 2019.2 the GST amount no longer appears in the Sales Register or on invoices.

Our import file is Tab delimited with headers and includes the following fields:

Co./Last Name
Inclusive        <- = X to specify that prices include GST
Date
Item number
Quantity
Description
Price              <- Includes GST
Total              <- = Quantity x Price
Tax Amount  <- The amount of GST included in Total
Sale Status    <- I for invoice

The prices for items we sell are inclusive of GST.
The import appears to work without any problems, ie no errors or warnings, no records skipped.

If I print an invoice, all figures are correct except that it's missing the GST $ amount.

Any thoughts?

20 REPLIES 20
MYOB Moderator Theresa_D
845 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Theresa_D
MYOB Moderator

845Posts

121Kudos

114Solutions

Re: Item Sales import issue

Hi @Nishy 

Thanks for your post.  This is likely due to the custom form issue in 2019.2, I recommend updating to the compliance update 2019.2.1 which resolved this issue.  See the linked post which goes into more detail. 

I hope this helps. If this resolves your inquiry please mark 'Accept as Solution' to help other users find this content. 

Cheers,
Theresa

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Experienced User Nishy
19 Posts
Experienced User
Nishy
Experienced User

19Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Theresa

Thanks for your response.

I've been using 2019.2.1 for several weeks and the issue remains unresolved.

Cheers

Peter

MYOB Ver.PNG
MYOB Moderator Theresa_D
845 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Theresa_D
MYOB Moderator

845Posts

121Kudos

114Solutions

Hi @Nishy 

These two versions do not have the same import/export settings which is likely influencing this. I will link the following resources to provide information on importing/exporting in your current software. 

Export Options

Import and export fields

Importing and exporting data

Importing and exporting tips

Open and export file in Excel

I hope this helps! If this answers your inquiry please mark 'Accept as Solution' to help other users find this information. 

Cheers,
Theresa

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

Experienced User Nishy
19 Posts
Experienced User
Nishy
Experienced User

19Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks Theresa

I don't quite understand when you say 'These two versions do not have the same import/export settings...'

Which two versions are we talking about? As mentioned I'm using version 2019.2.1 and have been since it was released.

I'd previously read the documents you've linked to and they didn't provide me with any joy I'm afraid.

I believe there are some fundamental logic errors in the import routines. All our items include GST in their price, however when I import them (and yes, the Inclusive flag is set to 'X') MYOB still adds GST. So for example I have a tax inclusive item which sells for $100, once imported it shows as $110.

I've since discovered (with the help of another forum user facing the same issue) that if I calculate the ex GST price and use that in place of the tax inclusive price, the correct values are calculated. However this results in rounding issues, eg an item we sell for $0.93 (tax inclusive) shows on the invoice as $.930074. Also note the missing leading zero before the decimal point.

We have a couple of items for which we don't charge, ie $0.00 but the import log is flagging these with Error -25: Invalid amount. Zero plus or minus zero is still zero in anyone's language. Is MYOB attempting to calculate the GST on zero?

My concern is that if I get this to work by fudging the Item prices, and then MYOB fixes its problem, I'll be back to where I started!

MYOB Moderator Theresa_D
845 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Theresa_D
MYOB Moderator

845Posts

121Kudos

114Solutions

Hi @Nishy 

To clarify, the v19.14 is from the classic version of AR, whereas AccountRight Live 2019.2.1 is the most recent version. These both have different format requirements for import files. In some situations, the import field list also varies.

To proceed from here you will need to post your Import error log.  See this link and AccountRight Log Locations. Also include the data you’re trying to import.  Please be mindful to edit any private information in your response.  Once we get both of these elements we can provide more accurate advice for your situation.

I hope this helps.  Let me know how you go with this.

Cheers,
Theresa

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

Experienced User Nishy
19 Posts
Experienced User
Nishy
Experienced User

19Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Theresa

After spending a lot of time on this I've now managed to import all sales without error.

However the tax inclusive prices are still having GST added to them.

I've attached a copy of the import file and a screen shot showing totally incorrect figures. For example in the screenshot the second item in the list 'LR1', its tax inclusive price is actually $0.52 and that's what is in the import file. So GST is being added to items that already include GST.

MYOB Moderator CloverQ
7,069 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Australia
CloverQ
MYOB Moderator

7069Posts

496Kudos

1122Solutions

Hi @Nishy 

When importing transactions in AccountRight, it's editing the data file directly, its process may differ from the 'Enter Sales' process. 

What AccountRight is looking for from the 'Price' and 'Total' columns are tax exclusive figures, regardless whether this is a tax inclusive transaction or a tax exclusive transaction. It will use the 'Inclusive' column settings to determine whether the GST amount will be added or not in the final output.

Therefore, in your situation, since the price and total in the import file already include the GST amount, setting the transaction to be 'Inclusive' means GST amount will be added to the total, hence the double up.

Cheers,
Clover

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

Experienced User Nishy
19 Posts
Experienced User
Nishy
Experienced User

19Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Clover

Thanks for your reply.

This is a bit counter intuitive - I took the 'Inclusive' flag's purpose was to tell AccountRight, hey these figures include GST so you don't need to do anything.

If I'm understanding you correctly, by not including the 'Inclusive' flag in the import file it will not add GST to the totals?

Here's the result after trying that....

The individual prices & totals are correct, but GST is still being added. The Sub Total is the correct figure for the sale, but as you can see the Total Amount has had GST added to it.

The figure in the Tax field should be something like $31.24 (after rounding), which is how much GST is included in the Sub Total of $343.60 and the Total Amount should also be $343.60

Cheers

Peter

No Inclusive.PNG
MYOB Moderator CloverQ
7,069 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Australia
CloverQ
MYOB Moderator

7069Posts

496Kudos

1122Solutions

Hi @Nishy 

The 'Inclusive' flag only tells AccountRight whether the end result of the imported transaction is a Tax inclusive transaction or not. Regardless of the flag here, the 'Tax Amount' entered in the import file will be imported as the tax component in AccountRight. It is because importing is a process that inserts data into the back end of the database directly, it is different to entering data from the front end. 

As mentioned earlier, AccountRight expects tax exclusive figures from the 'Price' and 'Total' columns. Therefore, please update the figures in those columns, they should be tax exclusive figures. You can have more than 2 decimal places set for item price. Tick 'Inclusive' if you want the end result to be an Tax Inclusive transaction.

When in doubt, the best way to check is recording the transaction manually in AccountRight, with all the desired settings (e.g. tax inclusive or not). Then export this transaction and view the result, and compare it to your import file.

One thing to be mindful about is that the item price in AccountRight/exported text file would have more than 2 decimal places to avoid rounding problems. If you open the exported text file in Excel, it may round them to 2 decimal places only.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Clover

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post