Linked account for purchases - tracking deposits paid to suppliers

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Experienced Cover User MareeD1
20 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

20Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Linked account for purchases - tracking deposits paid to suppliers

Hi, somehow our linked accounts have been changed and I am trying to re-set them.  Everything seems pretty obvious but I just want to check that if "I track deposits paid to suppliers" is ticked, that the linked account is Trade Creditors? I tried leaving that unticked but it won't then let me receipt a deposit payment to a supplier. Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Ultimate Partner GDay53
2,484 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

2,484Posts

2,270Kudos

540Solutions

Re: Linked account for purchases - tracking deposits paid to suppliers

@MareeD1 

Welcome to the MYOB Community Forum, I hope you find plenty of useful information.

If you are using "I track deposits made to Suppliers" then the linked account should NOT be Trade Creditors.

I should be an ASSET account called something like Supplier Deposits and it should be a bank type account.

If my response to your query and has helped, please mark my post as a solution to help others in the future.
Graeme Day
Registered BAS Agent #24745540
First Class Accounts Clayfield
Mobile: 0402 841 627
gday@firstclassaccounts.com
MYOB Certified Consultant
MYOB Diamond Partner
20 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

20Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Graeme,  I actually don't want to track the deposits and have them allcoated to a separate account, but if I leave that unticked when I make a payment to a supplier and its not the full payment, I get a message saying that I have to select an account for it to be allcoated to.  How do I get around that if I don't want to track the deposits?

Highlighted
MYOB Moderator Steven_M
33,027 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

33,027Posts

4,413Kudos

4,789Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi @MareeD1 

When you make a payment on a purchase order that payment is treated as a deposit to the supplier. As such, you do need to have a linked accounts for I track deposits paid to supplier  - Asset Account for Supplier Deposits. Normally, that you would be a separate account like Deposits with suppliers.

If you are not wishing to select that account/use deposits for suppliers you would need to convert that purchase order into a Bill before going to the Pay Bills window. This can be done by opening that purchase from the Purchase Register and selecting Bill to convert it. Once you are using a Bill, that Pay Bills transaction would not be treated as a deposit and thus that prompt to select a linked account would not appear.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

20 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

20Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your reply, that makes sense now.  I only have to convert to a bill rather than an order and I won't get that message.

I appreciate your help.

Maree

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post