35 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

35Posts

22Kudos

0Solutions

MYOB AR 2019.2 Issues & Community Concerns

Hi MYOB

I am writing this post as my concerns with this software have far exceeded me being able to keep quiet about these issues anymore as I feel collectively, as a part of this community forum, us users are exceptionally disappointed with how MYOB is functioning in MANY different aspect. Below I am going to list a series of issues we deal with on a day-today basis. I will try to be as specific as possible while also providing relevant case numbers as proof that no help was provided from the "Technical Support" department.

Overall, MYOB is crashing on a regular basis & it is honestly so common, its hard to even list the steps that are being taken to cause these crashes because they are SO COMMON! It can range from recording a invoice, billing a Purchase Order, updating an item code description, accessing a customer card. Even trying to close out of MYOB sometimes will cause the program the "Not Respond" & then crash instead of just closing normally... This is honestly so crazy that your software has become SO unstable that you have hundreds of forums posts of people complaining about this, yet it feels like nothing is being done.

Now, functionally wise. The new(ish) feature of being able to upload invoices & attach them to bills in Purchasing was such an exciting new feature, we as a business were super stoked about because it saved our accounts department a MONUMENTAL amount of time. We discovered after uploading a months worth of invoices (maybe 80-100 invoices) that MYOB AR was running very slow. Recording transactions, receiving stock & just general functionality of the software was incredibly slow. After contacting customer support, they advised that this could be due to UPLOADING INVOICES INCREASING THE FILE SIZE ON THE CLOUD which would be why, in turn, the software was running slow. Why on EARTH would you release a feature that DIRECTLY affects the performance of your software? So, after that, I then had to go through & manually remove EVERY SINGLE INVOICE that was linked to a bill. You can only image how long this took... As this call was done by another staff member, I do not have a case number to give you.

General use of the software. This will be a little list of the general functions we struggle with on the day-to-day.

• Typing in product code on a item invoice. When you are entering multiple lines of products onto a invoice, as you type the code, the field where you enter the text seems to refresh half way through you trying which causing the part of the item code you have typed in to delete. So you get half way through typing the code, then it deletes it & displays this little red (X) icon, then you can type in the code without it refreshing.
     Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 12.13.21 pm.png

As you could image, this is very frustrating because as I mentioned above, when you are entering multiple lines to a large order & the input field keeps refreshing, you basically have to type every code twice or click on the input field & wait 5-15 seconds for the little red (X) to appear before typing the code. Why does this even happen?

• Searching for suppliers with spaces between their name. When we search for a particular supplier (In this case "The Workwear Group", it doesnt narrow down the search to simply this customer. Is highlights 1 work & shows us MANY options. The issue appears to be with the search field having an issue with spaces. Why does this not just display that exact thing I have typed in to find? Again, general functionality that is broken.
    Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 1.11.43 pm.png

As you can tell, it appears to just highlight a random word but only 1 word per result rather that showing me the exact thing I searched for. We have many customers & suppliers that have this issue & its frustrating because I have to manually scroll through the list until I find the one I want.

• "Items List" search field. Our codes seperate the colour & size with a ":" symbol. This has always been the case since we used MYOB AR 2015. Now when we try & search for a specific product including its colour & size, the ":" symbol appears to break the search function. The first image is without the ":", the second image is with the full code including the ":".
    Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 1.29.05 pm.png            Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 1.29.32 pm.png

Again, SUPER frustrating when you are intentionally using the search bar to narrow down your search results, only for it to not work & you have to manually scroll down & find the item anyway. How is it you have designed a piece of software that doesn't have a correctly functioning SEARCH BAR?!

• Unbalanced Transaction. I dont even know where to start with this issue. We CONSTANTLY have issues with both Purchase Orders & Invoices giving us the error of "You cannot process an unbalanced transaction." I dont understand how this can at all be possible when all our products have the correct dollar values assigned to the cost & sell price & the GST is calculated correctly. This is present on Purchase Orders that are still in the Order stage & not billed. I am not joking here when I say we are literally at the point where we do not trust your software enough to enter an entire Purchase Order/Invoice in without clicking "Record" after entering a single product in FEAR that the "Unbalanced Transaction" error will come up. We are wasting HUGE amounts of time every. single. week. constantly saving & recording each & every change to literally ANYTHING because if we dont we are faced with the unbalanced error. This is so insane. I believe this could be an issue with MYOB rounding GST incorrectly in the background. I briefly spoke to a technical support agent about this on Service Request ID: 172488614864. From the agents I have spoekn to about this, there is literally no solution. The only potential solution we have found which is SUPER INCONSISTENT, is adding random "Blank Lines" to parts of a item Invoice or Purchase Order as that SOMEHOW makes the dollar value of an invoice suddenly balanced. I honestly have no idea how a blank line can in any way be related to the dollar value of an invoice, but thats why this issue is so frustrating, because its so consistently inconsistent with no solution.
  • Exporting Data from our company file times out.  We export a series of data out of MYOB which we call a Customer Sales Report. The fields are as follows. File > Import/Export Assistant. Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 1.47.15 pm.png
    We have sales history dating back to 2014 which we would like to be able to export together with all of our most recent sales, however, because this is a large amount of data, MYOB will not allow us to export this much data without crashing. The ONLY solution I have, is to download a backup of the company file (which is a large company file 950mb+), then open up the downloaded backup file & export the data from that. Why would you push people into moving to the cloud, only to then reduce the functionality of your software? So now I am constantly downloading a backup & accessing the local file rather than the cloud file. It takes so much time now to generate this report & we are incredibly frustrated by this.
  • Import & Export fields do not match. If you export data from MYOB, then adjust it using excel or whatever without changing the headers & then go to import that same file back into MYOB, the header fields that have literally not been chnaged, DO NOT MATCH THE IMPORT FIELD NAMES!
    Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 1.53.58 pm.png

Item Number

Item Name

Buy

Sell

Inventory

Asset Acct

Income Acct

Expense/COS Acct

Description

Use Desc. On Invoice

Custom Field 1

Primary Supplier

Supplier Item Number

Tax Code When Bought

Buy Unit Measure

No. Items/Buy Unit

Reorder Quantity

Minimum Level

Selling Price

Sell Unit Measure

Tax Code When Sold

Sell Price Inclusive

Sales Tax Calc. Method

No. Items/Sell Unit

Inactive Item

Standard Cost

Above is exactly how the fields export. Below is what happens when you click auto-match fields.
    Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 2.07.12 pm.png
    As you can see, the exported data header, doesnt match the import fields header.. How has this been oversighted? Incase you cannot see what I am talking about, "Use Desc. On Invoice" doesn't auto match because the MYOB import field is actually called "Use Desc. On Sale". The same as "No. Items/Buy Unit" when it should be "# Items/Buy Unit". What the... 

This is again super frustrating because its the general functionality of the software that doesnt work correctly & I have to instead spend my time which has now been wasted, writing up this post on the forums. This is just with the items export, but is present across lots if not most import & export categories.

• Printing a Picking Slip. The ONLY WAY to print a dam Picking Slip, is to print an invoice!! This is SO STUPID! It wastes so much time having to do this let alone paper! We have instead created a "fake printer" that we print the Invoice to that prints to nothing, then when the prompt comes up to print the Picking Slip, print it to the actual printer. Now for me, this was only possible because I have a decent understanding of computers, but do you expect the standard customer to know how to setup an elaborate fake printer purely to print picking slips or waste an emmense amount of paper & time just to do a SIMPLE TASK?

Now for the absolute icing on the cake.

• Customer Returns. I have tried speaking to a "Technical Support Agent" a while ago about this & they had literally no understanding of what I was tlaking about as they seem to know the software, but not account which makes its really hard to explain. I will try to put this simply.
    When you return a product back into stock via a customer account invoice, the product gets returned back into stock with the incorrect value back in-stock. It returns the product back into the inventory with a value 10% more than what is actually cost. So if a customer returns something because its faulty or whatever, when we return it back into stock (lets say there is now 1 in-stock), when we go to apply a credit in the supplier section to remove this prduct out of stock, it will say "If you have no items on hand, the value of your inventory must be zero." So, basically what we have to do is inventory adjust that same product into stock, then apply the supplier credit, then stock adjust the additional product we just put back in, back out of stock at the remaining value that is left in MYOB (Which is incorrect anyway).

It is so dissappointing to me that these issues exist. I think it is VERY ABUNDANTLY clear that the entire community wants a functioning piece of software. I think i could speak for everyone when I say that we would much prefer you working on fixing bugs & stabalising your buggy software, than we would you releasing updates & new features that seem to break the software even more. 

When we get the notification that you have released a new update, we are so hesitant to even think about clicking that update button IN FEAR that it will break more functionality of the software & make it un-usable (Which has happened before). Do you not think that as a customer, it is completely outrageous that we think like that? Like we are unwilling to update YOUR SOFTWARE because we are worries you will break more things. 

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD read through each & every one of these issues, listen to the community who uses your software EVERY. SINGLE. DAY & FIX THESE ISSUES! Because if nothing is done about it, I can 100% guarantee you, we will be looking at other software.

7 REPLIES 7
MYOB Moderator Steven_M
32,609 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

32,609Posts

4,346Kudos

0Solutions

Re: MYOB AR 2019.2 Issues & Community Concerns

Hi @EliasHodkinson 

Thank you for your feedback in regards to AccountRight 2019.

In Tray Document storage - When a user uploads a document to the AccountRight In Tray the document is associated with a reference number. The transaction actually is looking at the document reference number to pull up the In Tray document. So rather than storing the document as part of the company file, which may greatly impact the file size, the system is only looking at a series of characters to pull up that document. 

What we tend to find greatly impacts speed is the size of the company file and the residual amount of information contained in the company file. Looking at your main account in the cloud, it does look to be close to be a 1.5 GB file. While AccountRight will allow for the user to have that company file size, it is bordering on the larger side and a potential recommendation would be to start a new company file with only the current information. I can certainly see in some cases this may not be feasible, however, for those clients that have done this moving to a new company file with only the current information have sorted them out in the longer term.

On a product development side, currently, there is no way to reduce the file size of a company file. It may be something that we do look at in the future, especially as file sizes do grow, although no immediate plans are in the pipeline as yet.

Item code entry - I'm not aware of any known issues or other clients that have reported this exact situation. I would recommend ensuring that you do have Setup>>Preferences>>System>>Automatically refresh lists when information changes disabled, as this may impact lists selections.

Search the Card List window - When searching the card list window it will look for all records in the list with based on the search values. If you add a space between the characters it will treat that as another search criteria.

If you are needing to search for something exact, like you know the customer name, you can add quote marks. For example "The Workwear Group" will search for just The Workwear Group card. Alternatively, if you show the Auto Filter Row (right-click on the table headers and select Show Auto Filter Row). This will allow a filtering row to be added to that window, to which you can search exactly in the column for.

Unbalanced transaction - It sounds like a rounding issue to do with the Tax portion of the transaction. In some cases, with these situations, disable (or enable) Tax Inclusive and then enabling (or disabling) that preference has gotten around those situations. When you select that option, it forces AccountRIght to recalculate the tax and thus can get around some rounding situations.

Exporting data - Exporting a large amount of data can take a period of time and thus the system can time itself out if there is a large number of records to export. If you haven't already done so adding a timeout extender has been known to correct some timeout situations. In other cases, exporting less data or checking out/moving the company file to a local library would be the recommendation. As it's not pulling the information directly from the server copy, there are fewer factors at play.

Also, you mentioned that you are pulling records from 2014. I assume that is a closed financial year, so no extra data will be entered into that. So why are you exporting that information each time? If it was me, I would just export a list of transactions from that and store that as a master. This way you don't need to include those transactions in the export which will limit the number of transactions the system does have to export.

Import fields not matching - AccountRight 2019 actually has two different lists of fields to import, this is to cover those clients that are importing using the format of AccountRight Classic (v19). From the information that I can see in the screenshots, the import is using the AccountRight Classic format - thus have different field names. I would go back to the import file and ensure that you do have {} listed at the start of the import file. If that is not listed in the import file i.e. it was removed in opening in Excel then it will treat that as an AccountRight Classic import file format and thus have different field names.

Packing slips - AccoutnRight 2019 does require an invoice to be printed when Setup>>Sales - Print Packing Slips When Invoices are printed. AccountRight Classic allowed for the user to cancel the printing of the invoice then get the prompt for the packing slips. AccountRight 2019 now follows the wording of the preference more closely, "when printed" - if you are not printing the invoice then the prompt is not followed. 

However, in saying that, packing slips can be printed at any stage via the Sales>>Print/Email Invoices window at any stage by selecting "Packing slip (Layout)" as the Sales Type in the To be Printed window.

Note: It should also be pointed out that AccountRight is not supported in a VMware or Parallels in a MAC environment. This is due to the fact that it is untested within that setup. Clients are welcome to attempt to run that system with those environments but may encounter issues that do impact speed, performance and other factors.

Once thank you for your feedback in regards to AccountRight, I've also shared your comments with the team

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Experienced Cover User Albare
99 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

99Posts

38Kudos

0Solutions

On a product development side, currently, there is no way to reduce the file size of a company file. It may be something that we do look at in the future, especially as file sizes do grow, although no immediate plans are in the pipeline as yet.

To be frank this comment staggers me. Client files are only going to get larger, why would the method to purge records after asking to backup, as was possible in 19.16, have never been a "must have" continued feature when AR was first developed?

Experienced User EliasHodkinson
35 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

35Posts

22Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Steven

Thanks for the response.

Solved issues

• Search the Card List window - Thanks for that! This is actually a great solution. I have found this works across the Item List search bar too.

• Exporting Data - The issue isnt exactly that it is timing out, more that it is straight up crashing MYOB.

However thanks for your recomendation regarding only exporting new data & merging it with the old. This honestly makes alot of sense. I will change our proceedures to do this in future.

• Import fields not matching - Wow. I had no idea that removing that "{}" would have caused all of this. I just figured it was a random piece of data that dropped into the excel document. Thanks for providing me with that information. I have tested it out & now all of the fields auto-match perfectly! - SOLVED

• Packing slips - I have had a look at this section of MYOB. Thanks for pointing me in that direction. This is actually very handy for printing multiple picking slips at once which is great.

Issues Not Solved

MYOB Constantly Crashing - Are you going to be working on stability updates in the future rather than more features that continue to break the functionality of your software?

In Tray Document Storage - So are you saying that the uploaded document is stored externally then linked to the company file via a series of numbers as a reference so that it does not increase the company file size?

I completely agree with @Albare. Company files are only going to get bigger & we have been using the same file since 2014. So your basically saying that every few years, we are going to have to reset out company file to a new one? This is straight up outrageous because our business is only going to continually get bigger & we do not have the time to be starting from scratch regularly.

With that in mind, when you mention "new company file with current information", do you have steps available to do this process so we can at least explore this as an option?

Item Code Entry - The steps you listed here do not exist.

Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 8.36.13 am.png

Is it possible for me to send you a video of exactly what is happening so you can understand exactly what MYOB AR is doing?

Unbalanced Transaction - We have tried that many many time & it does not appear to work. Do you know any way this can be fixed because when it happens, we are left with no option but to close out of that Invoice/Order deleting all the work we have just done AND RE-ENTERING IT! You can only imagine how much time this wastes..

Customer Returns - You have not mentioned anything about this issue? I do have a PDF I created a while back, however it does contain sensitive information. Is there a way I could send this to you privately.

I understand that in every chance you can, you had made "note" about the fact that I am running a Windows enviroment within Parallels but the fact is, I am only 1 person at this business with this setup. Everyone else is running a native Windows machine & experiencing the same issues. Please stop tryin to steer away from the issues at hand.

Regardless of the above, do you have plans to release a Mac version?

Highlighted
Contributing Cover User Nat0609
8 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Contributing Cover User

8Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

about packing slips

I just created a customised invoice - but gave it the format of a packing slip. - took away all pricing tables etc.  

I work in an area where prices change quickly, and am in the transport industry so we do packing slips all the time

Now we just choose to print a priced invoice, or choose the special invoice (which I called PSI - Packing Slip Invoice) depending on the customer

Still have the option mentioned by Steven  - we just find it annoying to have to finalise the invoice and then open a different screen to print.

Experienced User EliasHodkinson
35 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

35Posts

22Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @Nat0609 

I actually love this idea so much. 

I started to use @Steven_M suggestion above but did find it to be rather tedious printing them that way & still found my alternative method easier.

I will give your suggestion a shot & see how we go! Thanks for the suggestion!

Valued Cover User AndrewStephen
789 Posts
Valued Cover User
Australia
Valued Cover User

789Posts

548Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @EliasHodkinson  & @Nat0609 

We also use this method to print a Tax Invoice when the sale is still set as an order.

Might be for stock that has just arrived and we have a counter sale for the item before its received into stock.

We gave up on using picking slips within 2 days of moving to AR2018.4 as it just didn't work for us.
Just remember this still a BUG in AR2019.2.1 that does set the Print / Email status back to the card setting when changing from a quote / order to an invoice.

So if you use this method to print a packing slip and batch print invoices you will need to manually set "To be Printed" again.

Andrew

MYOB Moderator Steven_M
32,609 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

32,609Posts

4,346Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @EliasHodkinson 

I've reached out to our phone-based team to arrange to see if they can get in touch with yourself to discuss your enquires. However, I just wanted to take a moment to address a few points raised:

The recommendation to create a new company file is to set a date to get the current account, customer and supplier balances as at. Once that information has been obtained you can create a new company file then enter that historical balancing information via Setup>>Balances OR through the Easy Setup Assistant.

AccountRight 2019 requires key pieces of software (Microsoft .Net Framework) to be installed prior to installing AccountRight. As those components are Windows-only software, the system does require a Windows Operating System to be installed. As such, to my knowledge, we don't have any immediate plans to develop and release a MAC OS version of AccountRight.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post