Australia
kim432
Contributing Cover User

8Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Matching a supplier payment that includes AMEX fee in bank feeds

Please help!  I have paid my suppliers through the Pay Bills function and used my AMEX credit card.

When the amount appears in the Bank Feed, it includes both the supplier payment and the AMEX fee as a total amount.

When I use the find function on the Bank Feed to find the bill that was paid, it won't allow me to enter the AMEX fee and therefore I can't match and approve the payments.

How do I add the AMEX fee so that I can match my payments?

7 REPLIES
Ultimate Partner GDay53
1,385 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
GDay53
Ultimate Partner

1385Posts

1521Kudos

315Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved Solution

Re: Matching a supplier payment that includes AMEX fee in bank feeds

@kim432

Welcome to the MYOB Community Forum, I hope you find plenty of useful information.

If you use the Undeposited Funds account you can match the totals.

Pay your bill from Undeposited funds.

Enter the Amex Fees as spend Money from Undeposited Funds.

In Prepare bank Deposit match the bill payment and the fee as a deposit.

The bank feed should now find the deposit created and match.

Graeme Day
Registered BAS Agent #24745540
First Class Accounts Clayfield
Mobile: 0402 841 627
gday@firstclassaccounts.com
MYOB Certified Consultant
MYOB Diamond Partner
Contributing Cover User kim432
8 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
kim432
Contributing Cover User

8Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Fantastic thank you that has worked!

Partner AlanT
1,002 Posts
Partner
Australia
AlanT
Partner

1002Posts

771Kudos

167Solutions

@kim432

Hi Kim,

Another way to record the Amex charge is to use the Finance Charge feature.

You will need to set this up in the Setup » Linked Accounts » Purchases Accounts and tick the option called I pay charges for late payments.  You can then select the expense account to post these to.

Screen1.jpg

Then when you are paying the bill, enter the full amount that has been paid to the supplier then click in the Finance Charge field for the fee.

Screen3.jpg

This is just another way to do it. 

Hope this also helps.

Alan

Contributing Cover User kim432
8 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
kim432
Contributing Cover User

8Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Alan,

Thank you very much for replying.  I couldn't do it this way because AMEX was processed through B2B pay third party. When I was paying the bill in MYOB I couldn't enter it as a finance charge as it wasn't paid to the supplier it was paid direct to the thrid party who paid the supplier for us.  I did try adding it as a finance charge but it wanted to pay the full amount including the AMEX fee to the supplier.

Unless I am missing something?

Kim

qualitystone
4 Posts
Cover User
Australia
qualitystone
Cover User

4Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Alan,

I have found that doing transactions this way may be a problem, the finance charge does not move onto the GST tax report nor into BAS totals if you are preparing your BAS on MYOB. Since the AMEX charge or late payment fees which may be enetered as finance charges do not move to the BAS then you will fail to recover the GST component.

Partner AlanT
1,002 Posts
Partner
Australia
AlanT
Partner

1002Posts

771Kudos

167Solutions

x.jpg

Hi @qualitystone

I just did a test and the GST is accounted for correctly if you have setup the Merchant Fee expense account with the GST code.

Using the sample file Clearwater, I paid one of the outstanding invoices that included a finance fee and as you can see from the GST report, the tax has been calculated and included.

If it does not do that for you, I would suggest that you check the Tax settings in the Accounts List and ensure that Merchant fees is set to GST.  This is why I separate merchant fees from regular bank fees as they do not include GST.

Hope this helps.

Alan

x.jpg
qualitystone
4 Posts
Cover User
Australia
qualitystone
Cover User

4Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Alan,

you entered the merchant fee in the payment screen under finance charges, correct? The linked account you call merchant fees, I call it something else but the account is set up to as a gst account.

I created a test invoice of $110, paid $120, put the extra $10 payment into the finance square, linked to a newly created merchant fees account set to GST. The $10 payment does not go to the gst report attached.

The journal created by myob credits 'trade creditors' which is a non gst account and debits the merchant fees account. I have been advised that the trade creditors account must be set at non gst.

I wonder if it is just my version that has the problem? using v19 premier with multiple currencies.

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post