Paying third party on behalf of debtor

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
munirahalias
Contributing User
7 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

7Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Paying third party on behalf of debtor

Hi.

Our company is operating taxi@cab rental. If renters doesn't pay their rent, we will hire a repossession company to collect the car. After we got the car, we will pay the repo company ASAP. Some of renters will not retrieve the car but if renters want to retrieve the car, they have to pay all the rental in arrear plus repo cost. So if the renter paid $1000 directly into our company bank account which $400 for repo cost and $600 for rental, how do i  account for this? 

1 REPLY 1
Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: Paying third party on behalf of debtor

Hi @munirahalias 

I would recommend speaking to an accountant in regards to the best way to record that situation. However, from what I can see it would depend on how you accounted for the repo of the car in AccountRight:

The whole process I would use would be:

1. Write off those outstanding invoices as bad debts.
  2. Record a bill transaction for the repo including the fee
  3. Enter payment on that bill as you would normally do
  4. If the customer does decide to pay you would like to pay for that car you would do a Recieve Money transaction with the Bank Account they pay into being the Deposit into account, the allocation accounts being the bad debt account and the repo fees account. 

By doing it that way, you would close the invoices as they would be a bad debt, you would have a bill and payment for the Repo company. Along with another transaction to reverse out what you did if they decide to pay out those fees.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post