Purchase in Profit and Loss statement

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
KellyWei
Contributing User
8 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

8Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Purchase in Profit and Loss statement

Hi Experts

I have run profit and loss statements under both cash and accural methods. The purchase amount shows a big difference. I checked purchase in find transaction, the frigure there is the same as P&L under accural method. But I noticed there are some figures in credit column, but those are not return of purchase, but a normal purchase transaction and sometimes a sales transaction.

I have read some of the previous posts and answers, and found it may relate to the inventory. We do not require to track inventory in MYOB, when enter a new part number, I select "I sell this item" or "I buy this item" then track them under 4-1000 sales or 5-1000 purchase, without selecting "I Inventory this item". Does this create any problem in report the correct COGS figure?? How should I record purchase to make sure my reports are accurate?  

Also from an order form, do I need to do "receive item" first before change the form into "Bill"?

Thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5
Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Re: Purchase in Profit and Loss statement

Hi @KellyWei 

The Profit and Loss [Cash] report will show the amount that has been recorded against the Income, Cost of Sales and Expense accounts on a cash basis i.e. when the payment of that transaction occurs. If you run the Reports>>Accounts>>Small Business Entity>>Account Transactions [Cash] report to show the individual transactions that make up those balances.

In terms of a difference between a Profit and Loss [Accrual] and a Profit and Loss [Cash] report, with most situations, these reports will be different. The reason being that there would be transaction recorded in the previous period but paid in the current period. For example, if you recorded a purchase in August but payment was recorded in September, the Profit and Loss [Accrual] will show that amount August but not in September whereas the Profit and Loss [Cash] will show that amount in September. The difference depends on the amount of the transactions and how many there are that would fall into that bucket. 

Whether you mark an item as an inventoried items is not factored into it, as it would be still reported under the same account regardless of the accounting method used to run that report. 

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

KellyWei
Contributing User
8 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

8Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

thanks Steve

Also when I do find a transaction for 5-1000, there are some figures in credit column.

Wondering where are these credit figures from and what stand for? They are not pruchase returns.

thank you

KellyWei
Contributing User
8 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

8Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

thank you Steven.

I can understand P&L statement under cash and accural must look different, just the difference was big (over 200K) and I cannot locate any transaction which may cause this big difference.

Is there any other cause to it?

thank you

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi @KellyWei 

If you are in the Find Transactions window it will show you the transaction that is recorded, you would be able to click the arrow of that transaction to see the relevant transaction relating to that. If you want additional information into the accounts and amounts involved in that transaction you can recap it (Edit>>Recap transaction) or depending on the transaction view the transaction in the Transaction Journal.

In terms of the Profit and Loss reporting, if it was me I would be looking at running the Account Transactions [Cash] report and comparing that with the Account Transactions [Accrual] report. These reports will show you the individual transactions against each account. If a transaction is not included on the one report but is on the other it is likely the cause of that difference.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

KellyWei
Contributing User
8 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

8Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions