Recording Payments Through Collection Agencies

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
NewlandPC
Experienced User
21 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

21Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Recording Payments Through Collection Agencies

I've recently collected payment from one of our debtors through a collection agency. Typically I would apply the amount through Receive Payment, however the collection agency has taken a commission from the payment made. 

How would I go about recording this accurately? Technically the debtor has paid us in full but the amount we received is less than. If I allocate that amount then the debtor would still have an open account. 

Cheers. 

1 REPLY 1
Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: Recording Payments Through Collection Agencies

Hi @NewlandPC 

Thanks for your post. One way to handle this would be to record the full invoice amount as the payment in Receive Payments, but tick the Undeposited Funds option. Then in Prepare Bank Deposit, click on Deposit Adjustment and allocate the fees to an applicable expense account. When you tick both transactions in the Prepare Bank Deposit window, the Total Deposit Amount will be the amount deposited into your bank.

For example if the customer owes $2000 and the debt collector held $200 in fees. In Receive Payments apply $2000 as the payment amount. In Prepare Bank Deposit>>Deposit adjustment, allocate $200 to the expense account. Back in the Prepare Bank Deposit window select both transactions so the Total Deposit Amount is $1800.

This is only one way to handle this situation so it may be worthwhile checking with your accountant to ensure it suits your business.

Please let me know if you need further help.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post