Report: Receivable Reconciliation - Out of Balance

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Highlighted
Partner ASWatCR
242 Posts
Partner
Australia
Partner

242Posts

449Kudos

0Solutions

Report: Receivable Reconciliation - Out of Balance

My client changed to a new front end system that imports data into MYOB.  There are a sizable number of transactions everyday and I noticed that debtors become out of balance - what is the easiest way to find the (many) culprits???  

Company Data Auditor was not very helpful, it told me how much I was out by, which I could already see from the Receivables report. The likely issue was payments received before invoices raised (due to staff changing invoice dates in the front end system - this needed to stop asap).

I thought I would use the customer payments[salesperson] report to show the number of days between invoice and payments dates - so if it was paid before it was invoiced it would show negative days and this would explain the out of balance amount (or at least some of it).  However, unfortunately when I viewed this report, it showed a 0, when the payment was on OR before the invoice - so no negative number were shown on the report.  I could not identify the problem invoices with this report. Smiley Sad

I then used the debtors report to narrow down to the date/s that debtors were going out of balance.  I tried to see if any reports could be created based on this payment date, i.e. I could review the invoice date and if it was after the payment date, I would find my culprit.  However I could not find any report that was based on payment date (rather than invoice date). No success here either. Smiley Sad

In the end I exported Invoice Transactions report (Other Sales Reports) to excel and manually/formula driven checked the timing of invoices to identify my OOB issues.

My point is - it would have been a whole lot simpler if there was single report that could identify this for you automatically. i.e. either the customer payments report did show negative payment days AND/OR introduce some reports that can be based on payment date that also show invoice date on the report.  This also applies creditors in exactly the same way.

If there is another way I should have done it, please let me know - because I am interested. Or vote for the reports to be enhanced.

Thanks for listening

"Debtors out of balance report"

2 REPLIES 2
MYOB Product Manager Dale
43 Posts
MYOB Product Manager
Australia
MYOB Product Manager

43Posts

41Kudos

0Solutions

Status changed to: Already in product

The Company Data Auditor will help you determine this. As you rightly pointed out the step showing "Reconcile invoices with linked receivables account..." will show you the out of balance. The next step is to look at the "Scan for prepaid transactions..." if you drill in here it will show you a list of all pre-paid invoices. In you case I would expect the sum of these pre-paid invoices to equal the amount you are out of balance. You can also run this report outside of the Company Data Auditor, you will find the report under the Accounts\Exceptions section, it is called Prepaid transactions. I hope this helps and please respond if I have miss-understood this.
Partner ASWatCR
242 Posts
Partner
Australia
Partner

242Posts

449Kudos

0Solutions

Re: Debtors out of balance report

Hi Dale.  Thanks for your comments.  I understand this would work, however would be timeconsuming (as you would need to run the auditor for each/every day to identify the OOB amounts). 

My suggestion is that if the exisitng "customer payments" report:  showed negative days (instead of a zero) when the invoice was paid prior to the invoice date, this would have solved all my problems. 

Not sure how the programming works behind the scenes, but I would have thought that it would naturally calculate a negative number of days in this situation. Perhaps it overridden to with the zero?

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post