Returns & Debits

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
bamma
Trusted Cover User
49 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Trusted Cover User

49Posts

7Kudos

4Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Returns & Debits

Hoping you can help.

Our new parts program has a goods returned advice option where once credit notes are received it exports it for us to MYOB. 

My problem is that it appears in MYOB as a debit note & options there in RETURNS & DEBITS are buttons Receive Refund  OR  Apply to Purchase.

Trouble is 90% percent of the time with parts returned for credit is that they are for the previous months invoices which have been paid and therefore closed.  

So can not really use the Apply to Purchase button as the invoice it relates to is no longer there in Pay Bills.

So how do I get around this problem.

Cheers

8 REPLIES 8
Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Re: Returns & Debits

Hi @bamma 

Once a debit note has been created you do have two options in AccountRight to deal with that transaction:

• Apply to Purchase - this particular option would be if you are applying the debit note to a bill for that supplier.  Applying the full amount of that debit note to an open purchase for that supplier will reduce the amount to pay for that purchase and potentially close the purchase. Note: An open purchase for the supplier is recommended if you do wish to use this option to close the debit note.

• Receive Refund - This option is used if you have received a refund to a bank account. Using this option will generate a debit/deposit bank transaction in the bank account to represent that bank transaction.

Which option you would select does depend on what agreement is decided upon between you and the supplier to handle that debit note. If the supplier pays you a refund you want to use the Receive Refund option, if it is applied to an outstanding purchase you want to use the Apply to Purchase option.

From an AccountRight perspective, there is no preferred option it just how you deal with that transaction with the supplier. If you are using a third-party application, you want to reflect what has occurred in real-life i.e. if you have received a refund use that option to close the debit note. if it was applied to a purchase, apply it to that purchase.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

bamma
Trusted Cover User
49 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Trusted Cover User

49Posts

7Kudos

4Solutions

Cannot apply to a purchase, as it was previous month invoice purchase and was paid in full at that time, later on when we went to use the part we found they had supplied us with wrong part so returned for credit 3wks later.

Not a refund so cannot use that option.

So not much help for me there.

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Hi @bamma 

You did indicate that you have returned that part for credit three weeks later so what happened at that point with that credit? Did your supplier give your money back or did they supply you with the correct part or just indicate that they would take off the amount off your next purchase?

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

bamma
Trusted Cover User
49 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Trusted Cover User

49Posts

7Kudos

4Solutions

the company received a credit to come off our next bill.

Like I said I cannot apply to it an open invoice as purchased 3wks ago and that bill was paid in full & now closed.

not a refund into our bank account.

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Hi @bamma 

If the credit is going to be applied to a future invoice, then you would retain that debit note on file until that purchase has been generated. When that does occur you can select apply to that debit note to that purchase using the Apply to Purchase option.

Should it be a case of you have made payment on that future purchase already using the pay bills window, you want to reflect what has occurred in real life. For example, if you have paid the amount less the debit, delete the pay bills transaction if already processed, redo that transaction for the amount you have paid and apply the debit note to that outstanding amount to close the bill.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

bamma
Trusted Cover User
49 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Trusted Cover User

49Posts

7Kudos

4Solutions

Well no it won't be applied to a future Invoice, like I said it was an old invoice we paid in full, returned part got credit weeks later. 

Can't apply it to a future Invoice that it has no relation too.

So no helpful advice

bamma
Trusted Cover User
49 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Trusted Cover User

49Posts

7Kudos

4Solutions

Maybe someone else out there in the MYOB community can help me?

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi @bamma 

My previous response on this thread was aimed at the fact that you have indicated that the company has received a credit to come off the next bill. As such, there would be some sort of reduction in the amount paid to that supplier (at some point) thus you would be looking at applying that debit note to that bill to reduce the amount paid to that supplier.

With that being said, I welcome other members of the MYOB Community that do have experience in this space to share their experiences.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post