Sale with Purchase

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Highlighted
Experienced User
21 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

21Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Sale with Purchase

I have a broker (Vendor) who negotiates and manages transactions for one of my clients (Customer).

Here is an example of the transactions

The Sale: On my behalf, the broker negotiates a sale of $2,400

The Purchase: The broker charges me a brokerage of $400

The broker receives the funds from my client, retains his brokerage and pays me the residual.

The broker provides me with a single payment of $2,000 which goes into my bank account.

Given that there is only a single transaction paid to me, how do I record this in MYOB so that the Sale is separate from the Purchase?

I need to show a Sale of $2,400 & a Purchase of $400.

Am I able to do this on one invoice?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Ultimate Partner
2,551 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

2,551Posts

2,324Kudos

558Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: Sale with Purchase

@johnbrennan 

Welcome to the MYOB Community Forum, I hope you find plenty of useful information.

There are a couple of ways you can do this.

The first is to have a Asset clearing account set as a bank type account.

You would create an invoice for the full amount $2400.00 and a Bill for the Fee $400.00.

When you receive the difference you actually receive the full amount of $2400.00 against the invoice and place it in the clearing account. From the clearing account you pay the $400.00 Bill and then transfer the remaining $2000.00 to your bank account. The clearing account ends up zero and you have correctly accounted for the sale of $2400.00 and the bill of $400.00 and the receipt of the $2000.00 into your bank account.

The second way is to creat an Invoice with the brokers fees included in the invoice as a negative expense.

brokers fees.PNG

If my response to your query and has helped, please mark my post as a solution to help others in the future.
Graeme Day
Registered BAS Agent #24745540
First Class Accounts Clayfield
Mobile: 0402 841 627
gday@firstclassaccounts.com
MYOB Certified Consultant
MYOB Diamond Partner
Highlighted
Experienced User
21 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

21Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Re: Sale with Purchase

Thank you Graeme. Your first method works best for me, thank you. Your second method because of the negative expenses displayed the sale as $2000. I needed to display the sale as $2,400 so I intend to use your first method of a clearing account. You suggested setting it up as an ASSET Account. Could I set it up as a LIABILITY Account?

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post