Selling Inventory with not enough Quantity on Hand

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Jobird
Experienced Cover User
13 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

13Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Selling Inventory with not enough Quantity on Hand

Hi there,

This is becoming quite a problem for 1 of my clients and will be a big problem for another client I was about to migrate to MYOB Accountright. We use the Inventory module and so have I Buy, I Sell and I Inventory against each item.

Both clients create and send invoices for prepayment of goods that haven't been received into stock as yet. When creating the Sales invoice, if the goods aren't yet in Stock, we need to Build, Buy or Backorder the goods.

We would choose either Buy or Backorder, but none of these help at all. The Backorder splits the Customer Sales invoice - 1 invoice for the Quantity currently in Stock and then an Order for the remaining items. But, we want to invoice the customer for the whole amount and have them prepay the invoice, meaning we need to be able to mark it off as paid as well. So, selecting Backorder is no good.

If we select Buy, it creates a Supplier Purchase Order (PO) for the balance not in Stock. But it still won't let us save the Customer Sale Invoice as it's a Supplier PO, not a Supplier Invoice and so isn't counted as stock anyway. Also note that we would already have a PO for the purchase of the goods we're waiting for, so selecting Buy which generates another PO is confusing and pointless.

The client I was about to migrate to MYOB often take prepayments for goods which haven't arrived into stock as yet. There must be a way of getting this right. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Jo     

6 REPLIES 6
Mike_James
Ultimate Partner
5,855 Posts
Ultimate Partner
New Zealand
Ultimate Partner

5,855Posts

1,026Kudos

756Solutions

Re: Selling Inventory with not enough Quantity on Hand

Hi @Jobird , I recently recommended another forum user with a similar issue to create the sale as an order, but print it as an invoice to send to the customer for payment. Then on shipment, convert to an invoice. Would this work for you?

Regards, Mike (mike@datawise.co.nz)
DataWise Limited (www.datawise.co.nz), developers of:
DataWise ProActive - Custom Reporting from MYOB programs
(MYOB Business, including AccountRight Live, AccountRight v19.x and exo Payroll)

Bulk download of attachments (more details...)

Jobird
Experienced Cover User
13 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

13Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Mike, 

It will partly work. When the funds are received from the customer, they can't be marked off against the Sales Order as being paid, can they? 

Kind Regards,

Jo

Mike_James
Ultimate Partner
5,855 Posts
Ultimate Partner
New Zealand
Ultimate Partner

5,855Posts

1,026Kudos

756Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi @Jobird , yes payments can be applied to orders. Your linked (sales) accounts should include a liability account for customer deposits. When a payment is applied to an order, MYOB will credit that account. On conversion to an invoice the deposit will be automatically transferred to the credit of the receivables account. 

Regards, Mike (mike@datawise.co.nz)
DataWise Limited (www.datawise.co.nz), developers of:
DataWise ProActive - Custom Reporting from MYOB programs
(MYOB Business, including AccountRight Live, AccountRight v19.x and exo Payroll)

Bulk download of attachments (more details...)

Jobird
Experienced Cover User
13 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

13Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks so much @Mike_James ,

Is there a way of getting MYOB to have a look at how Inventory handles Prepayments going forward? It might be another option at the Build/Buy/Backorder stage.

Kind Regards,

Jo

Neil_M
13,473 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

13,473Posts

0Kudos

1,916Solutions

Hi @Jobird 

I’m not aware of any current plans to change how inventory handles payments, however I have passed your comments onto the relevant teams. Please note that I am unable to provide a timeframe for when this may be considered for any potential changes

Currently if you were doing a prepayment for inventory then you would be looking at using the method Mike James suggest by way of creating an order first and then adding the payment to the order.

Regards,
Neil

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Jobird
Experienced Cover User
13 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User