Software Bug: Backorder: Account Right

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Highlighted
Experienced Cover User
39 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

39Posts

44Kudos

0Solutions

Software Bug: Backorder: Account Right

This morning I wasted about an hour and a half trying to resolve an intractable problem which brought the product literally to its knees and rendering it unusable. I actually used the redundant order column to record information relating to the line-item on the presumption that it was not serving any particular purpose. Unfortunately it does serve a purpose in Account Right, it completely destroys the functionality of the system requiring a reboot. If you inadvertently go back into that transaction line the system locks up.

After an hour on the phone I was finally advised that it is a known fault in the system which will be corrected in the next release. Apparently if you enter any data into that field it creates a catastrophic point of failure in the software as it provides an index value for which there is no look up capability and the system falls in a heap.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
MYOB Moderator
37,473 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

37,473Posts

5,090Kudos

5,487Solutions

Re: Software Bug: Backorder: Account Right

Hi @angelog 

As has been mentioned, we are aware of an issue that does affect AccountRight Basics company files that the backorder column is appearing on Item invoice layouts. When using the backorder column the system will generate an order, however, when you attempt to open that order, as Basics doesn't have the capabilities for orders, you will receive an error. The error will be the "Something that gone wrong and AccountRight needs to close" message, typically we do recommend a restart of AccountRight, however, in this case, a user can select Close without a restart.

This is something that has been passed across to the required team to investigate further. To prevent that situation from occurring we do recommend not using the backorder capability within the Item layout invoices.  If you have generated a large number of "orders" through this method we can look at getting the company file sent in for our team to look at the possibility of removing them from the company file - do let us know if you require that as an option.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Highlighted
Experienced Cover User
39 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

39Posts

44Kudos

0Solutions

Steven

I read your explanation in complete disbelief.  I cannot believe the stupidity of any organisation leaving a timebomb in their software such as this. I wasted two hours several days ago trying to diagnose the problem, shutting down and restarting my system, and being terrified of a problem in my data file which would bring a small business to a dead halt. During this period I managed to contact a human who logged onto my system and after about an hour she was able to determine this fault was a software bug that you were people were aware of.

It is unconscionable to have an input field in a record which leads to a database access error because that input field does not trigger a programmed response. For an organisation which increases its pricing year-on-year by more than 10% this is a complete and utter disgrace.

I demand an explanation for the stupidity of allowing this fault to continue without rectification in the recent release. Furthermore I demand an explanation from your venture capitalist owners as to how they can justify 10% per annum increases for a piece of software which is a crock.

Highlighted
MYOB Moderator
37,473 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

37,473Posts

5,090Kudos

5,487Solutions

Hi @angelog 

Thank you for your additional feedback in regards to this situation.

When you install AccountRight 2019 it installs all versions of the product - Basics, Standard, Plus and Premier. The company file determines the product level it does open. When particular issues do occur in one product level, such as this with Basics, we do need to be careful to ensure that changes made to that level are not affecting other product levels. For example, by removing the backorder functionality from Basics we don't want to impact Standard - Premier users as such through investigation and product testing does need to be completed before we make necessary changes.

Having said that, I do agree with the fact that it is a time bomb for those AccountRight Basics clients having that backorder column listed and as such shared your comments.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Highlighted
Experienced Cover User
39 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

39Posts

44Kudos

0Solutions

As an ISACA member and some time IT Systems auditor I attended a presentation last evening on DevSecOps and Agile Development, and would appear that one of the parameters of rapid systems development is that faults are tolerated and left to the user to identify to speed up the processing of delivery.

Unfortunately this is what appears to have happened here where inadequate risk management has been undertaken in relation to software changes with the unfortunate consequence that a data field is embedded in a consumers input table which has no logical interconnection and causes the program to abort because you are calling a routine which is not accessible to the program that the user has. This appears to be a consequence of a one size fits all program with degraded capability for lower priced users. Unfortunately there is a high price hook in the low price logical version resulting in catastrophic failure. Whilst I am assured that the invalid entries maintained in my debtors ledger have no impact outside of these actual entries themselves, it shakes one's confidence to the core when you are totally reliant on the integrity of the software tools you are paying for. I would much prefer to go back to the two year old software I was using which worked perfectly two years ago and pay the two year old price rather than paying for bells and whistles and development which I don't need and which ultimately screwed up the product offering that I'm using.

For a company that continue to jack up its prices at 10% per annum with decreasing quality control from the perspective of the end user, I feel totally let down by a process which rewards financially second rate development by cutting the cost of systems testing and increasing the profitability at the bottom line at the expense of the customer. Absolutely unforgivable.

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post