16 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

16Posts

6Kudos

0Solutions

Supplier tax code not working in spend money in latest AccountRight 2019.2

HI I know this has been posted before and would like an update on when this issue will be fixed (saw posts going back several years)  and to advise users out there of a MYOB error with choosing the "use supplier tax code" option in the supplier card. 

I have small businesses that use the Spend money window instead of Purchases for supplies, and found the issue whereby you can select on the supplier card "use supplier tax code" and set this to N-T or GNR and yet when that card is selected in spend money, the GL account default tax code is selected by the software without regard to the "use supplier tax code" choice. If you use the Purchases window on the same supplier, it will correctly defer to the suppliers code chosen, which is the exact opposite of how it works in the Spend money window. This is a considerable issue in possibly overclaiming GST and also for taxable payments reporting.

Once a user ticks on "use supplier tax code" you don't feel as though you need to constantly check if the software is working as you have selected it. If this feature is not available in Spend Money it should be clearly noted in the supplier card "available for Purchases window only" to avoid any errors where that option to choose the feature is offered.

One workaround suggested was to change the GL default tax code from GST to N-T - this is quite possibly ridiculous as it suggests that ALL purchases to that GL expense code will then be GST coded N-T.

As this error in the software has existed for several years now i just wondered when development could either fix it or offer a warning (as there are many other pop up warnings given).

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
MYOB Moderator Neil_M
11,789 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

11,789Posts

1,384Kudos

0Solutions

Re: Supplier tax code not working in spend money in latest AccountRight 2019.2

Hi @susan_cbsaa 

I know this has been raised with the appropriate teams, however at this stage I don’t have a specific timeframe for when this will be resolved.

That said I have passed your feedback onto the team for them to consider and so they are aware of the different suggestions you have made as possible solutions

Regards,
Neil

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Contributing User DebS_5
8 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

8Posts

4Kudos

0Solutions

I am also extremely frustrated with this feature not working, I have to put GNR at the End of the Suppliers Card, so that it reminds me to change the Tax Code when Entering, so time consuming.  Why is this such a drama, surely MYOB could put this through on an upgrade, as it would be an easy fix.

Valued User Robert_Mitchell
155 Posts
Valued User
Valued User

155Posts

43Kudos

0Solutions

I agree but in the meantime, see if using Recurring entries will help with this. I use these for any entries that I know will be repeated, even if bi-annually as it allows the coding to be set up correctly and repeated when I "Use Recurring".

Cheers

Robert

Contributing User DebS_5
8 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

8Posts

4Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Robert - Thanks for your reply, it is appreciated, however when posting from Bank Feeds you have to keep going in and out all the time to use the recurring, takes forever, more time then just checking to change the Tax Code.  Not sure what the answer is if they cannot get it working.  I also tried it in the Bank Rule, same thing.

Experienced Cover User susan_cbsaa
16 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

16Posts

6Kudos

0Solutions

HI Deb, Thanks, yes I have added GNR to those suppliers' card names as well to ensure I don't forget.

When I originally found the error I had to make adjustments back for GST overclaimed until the point I found the error in the software. This has potential issues for business owners relying on their software to do the right thing, especially small business owners who tend to use Spend Money rather than Purchases. They overclaim the GST and this could potentially cause issues with the ATO if MYOB do not do anything about it!

This error then also affects the business income tax return, possibly the owners' personal tax return, the ripple affect is quite alarming! And let's not forget that small business owners are the most vulnerable.

MYOB has a duty of care to ensure that the software works correctly and if it is making a serious mistake such as this one which negatively impacts a business owners' tax position with the ATO, they should be

1. alerting business owners of the error so that steps can be taken to counteract it AND

2. fixing it asap as it has been going on for many years

There is simply no excuse for this.

Experienced Cover User susan_cbsaa
16 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

16Posts

6Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks Robert,

I cannot use recurring entries for this particular business as I found them potentially error causing as we use job codes as well. It would possibly assist if not for that. The best solution is for MYOB to fix the problem!!!!!

Valued User Robert_Mitchell
155 Posts
Valued User
Valued User

155Posts

43Kudos

0Solutions

Not that this will solve your problem but just a note that you shouldn't have to go out of the bank rec to enter something, just use the keyboard shortcuts such as Ctrl H to Spend Money and then you should be able to Ctrl Tab back to the Bank Rec or Ctrl 2 and Alt A. I use keyboard shortcuts all the time and it saves heaps of processing time. I have found in the new versions that you have to use Alt Tab to swap out of Reports to other modules which would normally take me to other programmes such as Excel but at least I don't have to use the mouse.

Cheers

Robert

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post