setting a tax code default on new customer cards

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Highlighted
3 Posts
Cover User
Australia
Cover User

3Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

setting a tax code default on new customer cards

I am using AccountRight Plus v19.11

I recently created a new customer card but neglected to update Selling details on the 3rd tab.  This tab has the tax code default options and Income account defaults.

When I create a new card, the 'Use Customer's Tax Code' is automatically selected by default.  Since I didn't update any details on this page, the default tax code field was empty, and the result was that an invoice was issued without GST.

We used Time Billing to generate an invoice.  When I invoiced this client, the income account used was the default for the activities, but the tax code used was the client's Default Tax Code, ie none.

To change the default tax code on a new customer card to GST, I have to go to the Selling details tab.  Since this was the step that I missed (thus creating the invoice problem), I would like ALL new Customer cards to have either the 'Default Tax Code' automatically set to GST, or the 'Use Customer's Tax Code' option automatically deselected.  Without one of these options changed, every new customer card is automatically defaulting to no tax, no matter what other settings are applied via the income accounts.

From my researching I think this is something you can do using the Easy Setup Assistant.  But I'm not setting up a new account, and I haven't been able to find an option to change either of these default settings through Setup>Preferences.

So if anyone has a work-around (other than remembering to update the Selling Details tab!) your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Ultimate Partner
4,552 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

4,552Posts

3,302Kudos

721Solutions

Re: setting a tax code default on new customer cards

@Amynta

From my researching I think this is something you can do using the Easy Setup Assistant.  But I'm not setting up a new account, and I haven't been able to find an option to change either of these default settings through Setup>Preferences.

I don't believe that setting the Tax Code in the Easy Setup Assistant impacts on the box Use Customer's Tax Code as we routinely use select the Select GST etc. but only for selected customers ensure that we override the GST with say EXP. I don't know of anywhere that you can control the tick other than on individual cards. @Neil_M may like to investigate and comment

To me the problem is that your account list is not coded. MYOB has an order of precedence: Card Tax Code if box is ticked then Account Code. If all of your Accounts in 4, 5 and 6 are coded then it is near impossible to record a day to day entry without it being coded.

Ron B
BAS Group
03 95588477

info@basgroup.com.au
Making MYOB work for you
Highlighted
MYOB Moderator
12,768 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

12,768Posts

1,518Kudos

1,801Solutions

HI @Amynta

Welcome to the MYOB Community Forum, I do hope you find it a great resource.

Great to see @ronatbas has offered some assistance, I do hope you found that helpful.

The Easy Setup Assistant is commonly used for the initial setup, however you can run it at any time if you need to check or update information going forward, such as tax codes to flow through to the card file.

You can set a default of most common tax code for your customers by going to Setup >> Easy Setup Assistant >> Sales >> Tax Codes. The tax code that is shown in this box will be used when new customer cards are created. Any changes made in the Easy Setup Assistant will take effect immediately and impact on the file from that point onwards.

AccountRight v19 is designed to default to GST for the tax codes in the Easy Setup Assistant even with a new file, which should then flow through into the cards you create from that point forward. If you do create a new card, under the selling details tab does a tax code appear or does the tax code box show as a blank box?

Regards,
Neil

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Highlighted
Ultimate Partner
1,853 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

1,853Posts

1,441Kudos

163Solutions

@Amynta @ronatbas @Neil_M

Amynta,

One of the challenges of accounting/bookkeeping is to find our errors quickly - you have done that..

Setting up of Procedures within the Software is paramount.

It is my belief that the Session Report was very useful in checking ones work - some years ago MYOB decided to remove the Session Report (which would print on exiting).

I agree with Ron that if the tax code in the Client Card File is blank then the tax code used would be that of the income ledger that you used.

Neil has given a good procedure for the default tax code to be used for all Client Cards.

Hope this helps - good question let us know how you go.

Duncan

Duncan Smith
Business Advice + Tax
Helping business owners build a better business since 1998
E expressgst@optusnet.com.au T 02 9904 3672 7 days

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post