2020.3 Cannot delete a payroll transaction - System.ArgumentNull Exception

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
ang2017
Experienced Cover User
12 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

12Posts

4Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

2020.3 Cannot delete a payroll transaction - System.ArgumentNull Exception

Hi,

Since upgrading to 2020.3 I cannot delete a payroll transaction and I get the following error message:

AccountRight 2020.3.24.318 Error information: System.ArgumentNull Exception

Please advise what I can do to rectify.

Thanks

Angela

43 REPLIES 43
Jesh_D
1,447 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

1,447Posts

0Kudos

133Solutions

Re: 2020.3 Cannot delete a payroll transaction - System.ArgumentNull Exception

Hi @ang2017 

Thank you for your post.

This error is one that our product developers are aware of and are working to create a fix for at the earliest. In the meantime, a workaround would be to either stop the services on the server and process or move the file to the local computer and stop services on the local machine and process. Once completed start the services again.

Please let us know how you get on and if you require further assistance.

Kind regards,
Jesh

MYOB Community Support

ang2017
Experienced Cover User
12 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

12Posts

4Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Jesh

I've since discovered that you can no longer delete payroll transactions in 2020.3.  This was not highlighted in the release notes.

So I tried to select 'Reverse' and reverse the pay but I'm getting the same error message!!  Even though the release notes say that it is easier to 'Reverse' a pay with the new update. It is in fact the opposite - you cannot Reverse at all!!

I've solved the problem by manually reversing the pay (creating a payroll entry with negative figures).

I don't understand what you mean 'stop the services'.  I'm hoping I don't need to do this again before an update is released that fixes the problem.  Could you please provide some detailed instructions on how do this and what this actually means.

Kind Regards

Angela

Jesh_D
1,447 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

1,447Posts

0Kudos

133Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi @ang2017 

Thank you for your response.

From my understanding, once a payroll has been reported it cannot be deleted. If you want to delete a pay that's already been reported to the ATO, you'll need to reverse it instead and then report the reversal to the ATO. In regards to this information not being in the release notes and the feedback on reversing a pay, I will be sure to let the appropriate teams know.

My apologies also for not clarifying what I meant by 'stop the services'. The AccountRight server service is a Windows service installed with AccountRight that accesses the data in your company file. In saying that, if your work around has worked then the work around above won’t be required. However, if the error occurs again, please try the above work around to check if it resolves the error you are receiving.

Once a fix is available I will be sure to let you know via this post. Please do let us know if you have any other questions or if I can be of further assistance.

Kind regards,
Jesh

MYOB Community Support

HCBC
Contributing Cover User
7 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Contributing Cover User

7Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Jesh I am interested by your comment regarding the reporting to STP. When you record a transaction on STP there is always the comment that if you need to change the transaction all it will take is to record a new transaction, this would happen whether you deleted the transaction and started again or reversed the transaction. It never made sense that MYOB would require you to reverse rather than delete because as soon as you record anything to STP it will update to the latest information anyway.

Jesh_D
1,447 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

1,447Posts

0Kudos

133Solutions

Hi @HCBC 

Thank you for your question. 

What you've stated is absolutely correct. Generally speaking, however, some users depending on the situation might reverse the pay to keep a record and audit trail of what happened and how they fixed it.

Kind regards,
Jesh

MYOB Community Support

EJY
Experienced Cover User
70 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

70Posts

51Kudos

0Solutions

I discovered this issue today as well.  I made an error on one employees pay.  We report to STP but the employee noticed I had added up his overtime hours incorrectly.  Normally I just delete that pay and re-do it then send it via STP again.

I get a message saying because I report via STP I can't delete it but have to reverse it.

Firstly - when I tried to reverse it there is no such option?? Can someone explain how I reverse it - am I missing something or is this an error as I cannot see a way to fix this pay other than to wait until next week's pay and make an adjustment?

Also is the removal of the ability to delete a pay transaction an intentional move with upgrade 2020.3 from MYOB or is it another error?  Surely we should be able to delete a pay and re-run it then send it via STP as we need - it should be our option as to whether we delete or reverse transactions.

With STP we only send YTD figures and we have to mark the final pay for a financial year as final so there should be no issue with making changes as we need to during the year.  When we report to STP we get a message to say we can amend the pay if needed and resend so why has this function changed and Again why weren't we ALL made aware of this change!

Removing this function I personally find extremely frustrating.  Can others please advise.

ang2017
Experienced Cover User
12 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

12Posts

4Kudos

0Solutions

I agree wholeheartdly @EJY !!

I cannot reverse or delete.  I've had to manually reverse the transaction which is messy and convoluted. I don't understand why this function has been removed, given the ATO only want YTD figures.

As much as I try to ensure no mistakes are made, there is the enevitable oversight or change in circumstance, so having to manually reverse a pay is more time consuming and I feel is open to making additional mistakes and causing confusion.

Is this going to be changed @Jesh_D ?

EJY
Experienced Cover User
70 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

70Posts

51Kudos

0Solutions

I so agree with you.  You can't avoid making occasional errors and I have always used the option of deleting the entry/payroll and re-entering so everything is correct.  Keeps the file much cleaner and as we don't have multiple users I consider it a safe option.  Clearly once payments are made that can't be done but allows some room for the odd mistake to be rectified.

Now I am finding there isn't even an option to reverse - and as you say what a nightmare to have to manually reverse.

Let's not mention the ongoing issues that users raise time and time again about the lack of communication over any of this - I've seen no notification that removing the ability to delete a pay was happening or that there appears to be an issue where reversals don't work.  Oh MYOB when will you start treating us like paying customers and actually communicate with us!!!

Jesh_D
1,447 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

1,447Posts

0Kudos

133Solutions

Hi @ang2017 and @EJY 

Thank you for your feedback, which I will be sure to pass ontot he relevant team for review. 

If you have recorded a pay but it has not been delcared to the ATO through STP (status is not sent) you should be able to delete that pay. If the pay has been declared through STP, you will need to reverse it. As the ATO doesn't allow for pay events to be deleted for security reasons, reversing declared pays ensures that your MYOB payroll records match what has been reported to the ATO.

Here is a help article with further information which also covers when a pay can be deleted and the process to reversing pays: Changing a recorded pay.

Kind regards,
Jesh

MYOB Community Support

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post