2020.3 Cannot delete a payroll transaction - System.ArgumentNull Exception

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
HCBC
Contributing Cover User
7 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Contributing Cover User

7Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Re: 2020.3 Cannot delete a payroll transaction - System.ArgumentNull Exception

Jesh_D - if this was the case (ATO not allowing for pay events to be deleted) then why did it only start to occur as a result of this update.

EJY
Experienced Cover User
70 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

70Posts

51Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Jesh

I don't understand why this functionality has been removed - we should be able to delete it up until the time we finalise EOFY payroll for STP.

That said - the other issue is the reversal function is not working.  I tried to delete a payroll and got the message it had to be reversed with a link to the help notes.  Ive checked the help notes but there is no 'reverse' transaction available so I cannot reverse it?  I think that it the issue the other user in this thread has had also.  I can't find any reference to this error on this thread - but who knows it could be anywhere!

Jesh_D
1,447 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

1,447Posts

0Kudos

133Solutions

Hi @HCBC 

Thank you for your reply. 

The ATO have never allowed for pay events to be deleted, which resulted in pay events deleted in your software still being reported in the ATO Business Portal. In 2020.3, we changed the way pay events declared to the ATO are handled so that MYOB reporting matches the ATO Business Portal.

Please do let us know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,
Jesh

MYOB Community Support

HCBC
Contributing Cover User
7 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Contributing Cover User

7Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Jesh

I can accept that you can't delete any entries from the ATO Portal but I still find it annoying that you have removed the functionality to delete a payroll entry when all it takes to update all of the information on the ATO Portal to match MYOB Payroll entries is a 0.00 payroll to be recorded - everything then that is on record for the employee is updated to ATO and they match.

Jesh_D
1,447 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

1,447Posts

0Kudos

133Solutions

HI @EJY 

Could you please upload to this post a screenshot of the message you are getting and confirm what version of the software you are using?

Also, what happens when you click Find Transactions >> Card tab >> search the pay you want to reverse >> open the pay by clicking its zoom arrow >> then go to the Edit menu and choose Reverse Transaction? I would be also interested to know what help article you were linked to. 

Kind regards,
Jesh

MYOB Community Support

EJY
Experienced Cover User
70 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

70Posts

51Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @Jesh_D Jesh

I am using 2020.3 - as per my post this has only been an issue since the latest update.

I can't replicate this now as I've now processed the payroll payments to the bank.  Normally I can delete a payroll until such time as I create the bank file and the payment is actually processed.  The message was basically 'cannot delete a payroll transaction once reported to STP - you can only reverse' and it had a link to support notes about how to reverse a payroll transaction.  I had searched for the record exactly as you described.  

When I had the payroll transaction open and clicked edit the delete function was available to select (but as above when selected then gave a message saying it couldn't be deleted - go back and reverse it) but when you cancelled out of this message and went back to the edit drop down the 'reverse transaction' function was not available hence I couldn't reverse the payroll and re-enter a corrected payroll.

Theis seems consistent with the earlier entry on this post from Angela @ang2017 

EJY
Experienced Cover User
70 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

70Posts

51Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @Jesh_D 

For what it's worth I've checked this out again today when doing payroll.

So it seems up until the time you report to STP you can still delete a pay transaction and as you say once you have reported to STP you can no longer delete it has to be reversed. (@ang2017  - I am going to delay my STP reporting until I have checked my payroll and sent it to the bank to get around this)

The problems seems to be ithat f you find an error before you have created the bank file and sent it off to the bank you get the warning;

"Reversal Required - This pay has been reported to the ATO for STP - for reporting purposes you will have to reverse the transaction instead of deleting it".

But if you try to reverse it there is no such option - the only option is to delete it and then you get this message again so you are in a loop.

I've now worked out that once you have sent the payroll file to the bank for payment - i.e created the ABA file then the option of being able to reverse the transaction becomes available.

So the issue seems to be you are sent into a loop if you have reported a payroll to the ATO and then want to reverse it but you have not created the ABA file - reversal is the only option but is not available.

Hope this helps pinpoint the issue.

Jesh_D
1,447 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

1,447Posts

0Kudos

133Solutions

Hi @EJY 

Thank you for that information. This is extremely helpful for the team who are still investigating a resolution for the issue. Once I have an update or more information available I will update you via this post.

Kind regards,
Jesh

MYOB Community Support

CoolSteel
Experienced Cover User
23 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

23Posts

5Kudos

0Solutions

Re: 2020.3 Cannot delete or reverse a pay

I need to delete an incorrect pay, but am just being told that it has to be Reversed, BUT I am not getting that option. I get the option to select "delete" but it will not accept it. Updated to 2020.3.1 this week - regretting it already :-( 

Jesh_D
1,447 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

1,447Posts

0Kudos

133Solutions

Re: 2020.3 Cannot delete or reverse a pay

Hi @CoolSteel 

When you click Find Transactions >> Card tab >> search the pay you want to reverse >> open the pay by clicking its zoom arrow >> then going to the Edit menu and choosing Reverse Transaction what happens? Are you able to please provide me a screenshot so we can have a look at this for you?

Kind regards,
Jesh

MYOB Community Support

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post