2020.3 Cannot delete a payroll transaction - System.ArgumentNull Exception

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Jesh_D
1,447 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

1,447Posts

0Kudos

133Solutions

Re: 2020.3 Cannot delete a payroll transaction - System.ArgumentNull Exception

Hi @EJY 

Could I get you to send me a private message with your full name, email address and serial number, including letting me know your users role (i.e. administrator) and we will look into this further for you. 

Kind regards,
Jesh

MYOB Community Support

DFGBookkeeper
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

5Kudos

0Solutions

Can anyone provide link to ATO's page where ATO says nobody is allowed to delete any payroll transaction in their software??    Many other STP software still allow deleting!!!!

TLS571
Contributing Cover User
7 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Contributing Cover User

7Posts

5Kudos

0Solutions

Great point!

I've worked out though that you can still delete a payroll if you don't lodge the ATO declaration until after you've done the banking.  You wouldn't want to delete after you've processed the payment anyway, so this is working for me.

EJY
Experienced Cover User
70 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

70Posts

47Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @TLS571 

Sounds like we are on the same page - that is what I am doing as per my earlier post.  I am just holding off reporting to the ATO until everything is finalised and I've completed the banking - as you say after that you wouldn't delete anyway.

I just find it extremely frustrating that we get these changes in MYOB without any warning or explanation and often without things working properly and somewhere in this forum the users have to nut it out and find work arounds!  Nothing seems to be fixed quickly!

Anyway like you I am making this work too :-) 

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Hi Everyone

From AccountRight 2020.3 onwards, payroll transactions that have been processed and reported through to the ATO through the Payroll Reporting Centre will not be able to deleted, only reversed. However, with our next release AccountRight 2020.4 we have addressed certain cases of the "Code: System.ArgumentNullException Message: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: format" error log occurring when that pay reversal does occur.

AccountRight 2020.4 was initially made available last week, however, due to factors we have suspended that update at this time, however, it will be returning and be made available for all users shortly. 

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

EJY
Experienced Cover User
70 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

70Posts

47Kudos

0Solutions

@Steven_M 

Hi Steven

You've told us again that we cannot delete pays reported via STP but you don't seem to have not answered the multiple questions in this blog asking 'why' this change has been made and why it was implemented without notice?  

DFGBookkeeper
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

5Kudos

0Solutions

Good point Steven!!!

I am using other STP software elsewhere.   I can delete pays.  If it is a requirement from ATO,  it should at least appear in ATO's newsletter.

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Hi Everyone

To my knowledge, there is no provision stipulated by the ATO for STP reporting that indicates that payroll events can or can't be deleted.

However, from an MYOB point of view, from AccountRight v2020.3 onwards reversal of those reported pays have been made mandatory for two reasons:

• Provides a better audit trail of the pay events sent through to the ATO
  • Aids in the prefilling of BAS amounts

We do understand this is a change from previous versions and can have some other implications within the software, to which we shared that feedback. However, it is currently a reversal process with AccountRight 2020.3 and our next release AccountRight 2020.4 (which does include that System.ArgumentNull Exception fix for certain reversal cases).

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

DFGBookkeeper
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

5Kudos

0Solutions

If it was initiated by MYOB not by ATO,  this should be presented to users accurately.    Not only user-consultation has been missing in this decision making process, not to mention all of the problems came with this rushed decision.   

Bear in mind that accounting personnels always recomend software to business owners based on their own experience .

EJY
Experienced Cover User
70 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

70Posts

47Kudos

0Solutions

Well said @DFGBookkeeper - couldn't agree more! 

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post