MYOBCommunity
Partner Zone
|
|
Partner Zone

ATO Letter re EMPDUPE file not lodged when it was actually lodged via a third party

Highlighted
JackieW
4 Posts
Cover User
Australia
JackieW
Cover User

4Posts

1Kudos

1Solutions

ATO Letter re EMPDUPE file not lodged when it was actually lodged via a third party

One of my clients received a letter today stating that they had failed to lodge their Payment Summary for 16/17.

The EMPDUPE file was lodged by their Accountants after we emailed the file created in MYOB stating that the file was to be lodged by a "third party"

It was actually lodged on the 27/06/2016 and validated by the ATO on the 28/06/2016.  When the Accountants checked the file they had lodged it was their Business details and ABN showing rather than the client's details. 

I looked at a previous post from 2015 which related to the exact same issue.  I could not find a satisfactory explanation. Is it an ATO issue or a MYOB issue?

I had a back up file of the 16/17 payroll year which the Accountants reinstated and created a new EMPDUPE file and relodged it with ATO today.    

3 REPLIES
MYOB Moderator Hayden_B
2,151 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Australia
Hayden_B
MYOB Moderator

2151Posts

302Kudos

344Solutions

Re: ATO Letter re EMPDUPE file not lodged when it was actually lodged via a third party

Hi @JackieW

How I understand the Service Provider options in Payment Summaries is that when you select "I use a third party service provider to lodge my payment summaries", this is designed for Tax Agents to lodge the Empdupe files on their Client's behalf. Once enabled it will ask for additional details to enter the Contact Details and this information does get included in the Empdupe file.

I believe these Tax Agents use the BAS Agent Portal to submit these files, as I am unfamiliar with the Portal I am unable to say for sure how this is designed to be used with this information. I do know that there are others in the Community that have used this and may have a better insight into this than I would, I do hope any Partners and experienced Tax Agents can share their knowledge on this for us.

That being said, my knowledge of the Empdupe file is that it has several distinct sections:

• The Supplier (Who "supplies" the file to the ATO)
  • The Payer (The Business Details of who paid the amounts)
  • And the Payees (The Employees within)

It is assumed the Supplier and Payer are the same, and ticking the box "I use a third party service provider to lodge my payment summaries" allows us to configure the Supplier details to be different to the Payer.

I believe the reason for this is so the ATO will know who to contact if there is a problem with the file submitted. If the problem is with the file itself, they will contact the Supplier. Whereas if the problem is with data inside the file, they will contact the Payer.

I'll mention I can only really detail what the software will produce and how it produces it, there may be others in the Community that work with this in a bit more detail and may have more information to add here.

I do hope this helps understand the MYOB standpoint on the production of the Empdupe file.

Cheers,
Hayden
MYOB Partner/Social Support

Ultimate User gavin12345
2,018 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
gavin12345
Ultimate User

2018Posts

1592Kudos

309Solutions

Re: ATO Letter re EMPDUPE file not lodged when it was actually lodged via a third party

Hi @JackieW

In addition to comments by @Hayden_B, no matter what happened with the Supplier information, the Payer information would never be changed by MYOB when creating the empdupe file. Irrespective of the Supplier info, the ATO would receive and process the Payer info.

Without knowing the specifics of what happened in your case, I have heard of instances where people try to be 'clever' and modify the empdupe file manually. So one possibility is while someone may have tried to change who the Supplier was, they may have changed who the Payer was by mistake (the fields are not identified and can easily be mixed up). This would cause the ATO to think the Payer was the accountant, and your client's empdupe file not considered lodged.

This is a more likely scenario than MYOB creating an incorrect empdupe file.

Regards

Gavin

Ultimate Partner ronatbas
4,455 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
ronatbas
Ultimate Partner

4455Posts

3212Kudos

701Solutions

@JackieW @Hayden_B

I am sure that every accountancy firm believe that they are Gold Standard and that all of their staff are totally across all of the correct usage of software. There are enough of us around who know that this is far from the truth and can cite numerous examples where incorrect use of the software by accountants takes an experienced bookkeeper to correct the file.

Your problem may be an MYOB issue, but not your MYOB, the accountant may be running AO. 

Ron B
BAS Group
03 95588477

info@basgroup.com.au
Making MYOB work for you
Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post