ATO advises I need to "Update an Event" - our MYOB STP is correct but report went twice

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
HeatherG
Experienced Cover User
28 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

28Posts

1Kudos

1Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

ATO advises I need to "Update an Event" - our MYOB STP is correct but report went twice

Okay I waited for almost 2 hours for the "Help" centre...my call was answered after a long time, I explained the problem and put back on hold after I confirmed I was in Australia and no one came back!!  Due to computer issues when recording my first STP pay last week, the report has gone to ATO twice.  I rang the ATO and they confirmed that it looks like staff have been paid twice the same amount on their end.  Note, my payroll in MYOB is correct in that there is only one payment.  Therefore I can not do a "Pay Correction" next time.  They said I had to contact MYOB to "Update the Event" and I had 14 days to do this.  How do I update an event???  Searched through here and there does not seem to be a definitive answer.  I did see lots of comments of the Help line delays however!  

3 REPLIES 3
bungy15
Ultimate Cover User
1,055 Posts
Ultimate Cover User
Australia
Ultimate Cover User

1,055Posts

335Kudos

195Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: ATO advises I need to "Update an Event" - our MYOB STP is correct but report went twice

Hi @HeatherG 

AccountRight doesn’t have an update event feature as yet so the workaround is to process $0 pays for effected employees after you have corrected the error in MYOB.

Or you can just correct the error in MYOB then when you process and declare your next payrun the YTD amounts will be updated, correcting the STP side. 

Cheers

Tracey

HeatherG
Experienced Cover User
28 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

28Posts

1Kudos

1Solutions

Re: ATO advises I need to "Update an Event" - our MYOB STP is correct but report went twice

Thank you Tracey, as mentioned my MYOB was correct, just the report went twice so it looked like double payment on the ATO end.  I have since learnt it was a glitch within MYOB that looked like the report wasn't sent, so I hit "Send" again so the report went twice.  I wasn't aware that the ATO reconciled with our software each time a Pay is sent through (another 2 hours on the phone waiting the next day to find out) so I have sent through a Zero Pay and that should then allow ATO to reconcile with our software.  Cheers

bungy15
Ultimate Cover User
1,055 Posts
Ultimate Cover User
Australia
Ultimate Cover User

1,055Posts

335Kudos

195Solutions

Hi @HeatherG 

Sorry I should have been clearer in my answer, I was just giving general advice on update events. I should have have made it clear that because MYOB was correct, you just needed to do the $0 pay to update the YTD amounts and saved you 2 hours on the phone. 

I don’t think the ATO website explains the process of STP very well. Each report updates the YTD amounts with the ATO and overrides the previous one. Which is why so many people have run into trouble by sending old reports. It’s not as simple as they made out 

Cheers

Tracey

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post