ATO payroll category for Jury Duty

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Highlighted
Contributing User
8 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

8Posts

3Kudos

0Solutions

ATO payroll category for Jury Duty

Hi 

I need to set up a new payroll category for Jury Duty Service.  Can anyone please assist with the following questions.

Is this an allowance?

Which ATO payroll category do I assign this to? Gross payments or an Allowance?

How do I reflect the first 10 days the employee is on Jury Duty when processing a payroll i.e. If we are paying the balance of her normal rate of pay, due to the employee keeping the allowance paid. Do I insert one line for jury duty service 7.6 hours x 10 days with a nil amount then insert another line for her normal rate of pay for the balance?

Jury Duty Service 76 hours Account? Amount 0.00

Base hourly/wage (balance of normal hours) Amount (balance of makeup pay)

Thanks!

J

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
MYOB Moderator
37,527 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

37,527Posts

5,095Kudos

5,500Solutions

Re: ATO payroll category for Jury Duty

Hi @JoannaB 

Generally speaking, the ATO reporting category would have been the reporting field that you selected for the old payment summary process. If you are unsure what that category should be it is recommended that you speak to an advisor or the ATO for the best reporting category for your needs.

In terms of paying jury duty, my understanding is that the employee is paid by the courts and not by the employer while on jury duty. As a result, no pay should be processed for the employee during that time. If a pay is required, you could set the wage category up as fixed rate of 0.00 and then process the selected hours the employee was on jury duty against that category, if the employee also worked some hours during that time you would just include those hours against that respective payroll category for them.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Highlighted
Contributing User
8 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

8Posts

3Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @Steven_M 

Thank you for your reply.

It's the first time we have had an employee on jury duty service. We need to pay the employee jury duty make-up pay for the first 10 days (difference between the jury service allowance the employee gets paid and their normal base pay rate).

It seems like we have a few options on how we can treat the wage entry in MYOB.

I think I can create a new payroll category called "jury service make up pay" and assign to the ATO payroll category to Gross payments as this is the employees normal rate of pay while they are on jury duty. Or your suggestion to create a new wage category up as a fixed rate of 0.00 and then process the selected hours the employee was on jury duty against that category.

Payroll can be complicated Smiley Happy

Best,

Joanna

Highlighted
Contributing Cover User
64 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Contributing Cover User

64Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Steve,

I am about to process payroll for the employee for the jury service.

I have made a category called " jury service make up pay" and processed the difference ( gross amount - the amount that paid by the court) .

But I am wondering about the tax. If I have processed this way, less tax can be applied for this payroll due to deduct the amount that is paid by the court.

When I choose the jury service make up pay category, tax amount automatically came up.

Does this tax rate should be ok?

Thank you.

Highlighted
MYOB Moderator
7,856 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Australia
MYOB Moderator

7,856Posts

631Kudos

1,224Solutions

Hi @Skipio_account 

The rules and payment requirements of jury duty may vary between states and territories. I'd suggest checking out this online Help article on this topic for some guidance: Jury duty.

It also includes some great forum posts where our experienced partners have given their insights, you are welcome to message them directly if you have further questions. Alternatively, you can check with your accountant for clarification.

Cheers,
Clover

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post