Adjusting Accrued AL:LSL & Personal Leave When Working Hours Have changed

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
CareShare
Contributing User
8 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

8Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Hello Community,

As a result of the business downturn during COVID - one of my salaried staff have had their hours reduced from FT 38 hrs per week to 25.3 hrs per week.  When I tried changing the leave accrual hours in the Entitlements area to reduce accruing hours p/period the other F/T salaried staff members hours also changed.

I have since found out that I need to create new Entitlement Categories specifically for the part-time employee because both salaried employees are linked in the original one.

Of course, the accrued leave hours in the employee with less weekly hours card shows all types of leave as being accrued under the old entitlement category.

My question is:  How do I do a manual journal to deduct the accrued hours in the original category while adding the correct accrued hours (as the hours accrued up until now have been more than what should have been accruing) in the new entitlement categories.

EG:  let's say the employee has accrued 100 hours of AL and 50 hours of Personal Leave under the original/old entitlement but should only have had 80 hours and 45 hours (not true figures of course) in the new category.  I do a singular leave journal deducting 100:50 hours from the old category and adding 80:45 hours in the new category.

To do this I have to have both the old and the new categories ticked for the employee so that all categories come up on the process payroll screen.  When done I would need to go back, again, and remove the tick from the old category so that only the new category remains for future accruals.

I hope this is clear for someone to advise me further.   I really do appreciate the assistance.  Some things just can't be explained in a couple of lines.   Sorry.

10 REPLIES 10
Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Re: Adjusting Accrued AL:LSL & Personal Leave When Working Hours Have changed

Hi @CareShare 

Thanks for your post. To transfer accrued leave from one entitlement to another you would need to record a $0 pay in Process payroll. You would enter a negative figure against the old entitlement for the hours you need to reduce that entitlement by and the same amount as a positive against the new entitlement.

This help article has detailed information: Adjusting leave entitlements

Please let me know if you need further help.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

CareShare
Contributing User
8 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

8Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Hello MYOB,

Thank you for your previous advice which I have used to fix the leave accrual hours.  I have created the new categories for the part-time employee and have ensured that the journaled hours are correct - that worked.  

However, when I ran the next payroll, I found that only the Annual Leave accrual for the period actually came up.  The LSL and Personal leave did not come up.  I have checked the new categories against the method:information required on the old categories and they are the same.  

I rechecked the boxes ticked against the employee and it shows that they are ticked in all new categories Annual Leave; LSL and Personal Leave.   A re-run of the payroll has failed to bring up accrual figures for LSL and Personal Leave.

Your advice here would be appreciated.

Regards

Paul

Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

@CareShare 

Hi Paul

Can I clarify if you mean the YTD values are not appearing on payslips or that no new hours accrued in Process Payroll? 

If no hours are accruing when processing payroll, check the calculation basis of the entitlement. Go to Payroll categories>>Entitlements tab>>open LSL or Personal Leave>>what is the calculation basis? If you have set it as Equals percent of Gross hours, no hours will be accrued for a salary employee as they are not paid gross hours. You would need to set the calculation basis to User or Equals Hours per for those entitlements to accrue.

Please let me know how you go with this.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

CareShare
Contributing User
8 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

8Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Hello Tracey,

Thank you for your prompt advice.  To clarify.  The AL is showing as being accrued as it should - using the newly created PT Category - based on the FT setup previously.

The LSL and PL accruals are not showing up or accruing.  I checked the accrual on the employee and the AL did add on but the LSL and PL remained the same for the period - even though the employee took 2 hours PL (sick leave) during the period.   The 2 hours PL did automatically deduct in the wages.

I used the same setup on the newly created categories as were on the previous categories (called FT).

I have uploaded screen clips of actual setup and also a screen print (no personal info showing) of the actual payslip for the period.  Hopefully, this will help you see what I have done.   Bearing in mind the employees name is ticked in the boxes inside each PT category.  I have more files to send you to help but only 5 allowed below.

Thank you for this assistance.

Paul

2021 01 Query AL SAL PT Setup.JPG
2021 01 Query Entitlements AL FT Sal.JPG
2021 01 Query Entitlements AL PT Sal.JPG
2021 01 Query Entitlements LSL FT Sal.JPG
2021 01 Query Entitlements LSL PT Sal.JPG
CareShare
Contributing User
8 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

8Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Hi again Tracey,

More info to help - see below.

Paul

2021 01 Query Entitlements Payslip Actual.JPG
2021 01 Query Entitlements PL FT Sal.JPG
2021 01 Query Entitlements PL PT Sal.JPG
Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Hi @CareShare 

Thanks for those screenshots, they're a great help. Having a look at the set up of Personal Leave Accrual Sal PT, you've got the entitlement calculation set to Equals 50.66 Hours per Year. The YTD amount on the payslip for that entitlement is 81.97. Therefore, the employee has already reached their entitlement accrual for the year based on that calculation and there is no new accrual required.

It's the same situation for the LSL Acc Sal PT. The calculation is set to Equals 32.92 Hours per Year and the YTD amount is 74.55.

If the employee needs to continue accruing hours you could change the calculation to Equals x hours per Pay Period. That way the software will only look at that pay when calculating the accrual, not the whole year.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

CareShare
Contributing User
8 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

8Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Tracey,

OK, that makes sense, however, the problem now is, the only reason the YTD hours have been reached was because of the journal of hours changing from FT to PT.  In accordance with previuosly noted method of changing from one category to a new category.

The employee had carryover hours (last f/y) that now need to be taken into consideration as the real YTD hours have not yet been reached.   

I have attached the journal information to, hopefully, show you what I mean.  Somehow I have to get the carryover figures PLUS ongoing YTD into the employees figures.

Look forward to that advice.

Paul

2021 01 Query Leave Journal Carry Over.JPG
Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

@CareShare 

Hi Paul

You've got a couple of options, you could increase the Equals x Hours per year to include the carry over figure. Or you could change the calculation to Equals x Hours per Pay period. Personally I think the easiest way is to make the calculation basis per pay period. Add the carry over figure to the amount you need to accrue this year, then divide that figure by the number of pay periods in the year (weekly = 52). 

I'd also recommend doing some manually calculations to check that the correct amount is accrued by the end of year.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

CareShare
Contributing User
8 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

8Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Tracey,  

Thank you for this.  I thought this might have been what I needed to do.  I appreciate your help.  I will sort this out manually and look forward to the next new year going auto.

Regards

Paul

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post