186 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

186Posts

90Kudos

1Solutions

Calculating super adjustments

Hi,

We have discovered that for a period of time, staff were being paid ordinary time instead of overtime for a few hours per week. I have exported the affected pay advices so I can manually calculate how many hours of overtime they have been shortpaid and process the adjustment.

As a simplified example, an employee may have been overpaid 1 hour of base hourly that should have been time and a half.

This affects leave accruals since they are set up to calculate from number of base hours rather than per period. The negative entitlement adjustments calculate nicely when processing a payroll for -1 base hourly +1 time and a half overtime.

What doesn't seem to adjust automatically is the super guarantee contribution that has been paid on the normal hours but is not required for the overtime hours. 

I would prefer to process the adjustments separately so they are very clear for the employees. However, I can only see two options:
1. I type in the hours to be adjusted as a positive number first, take note of the calculated super amount, then change the hours to negative and manually type in the negative super amount. Fraught with many opportunities to mess it up even further.

2. I process the adjustments in a normal pay but the employees will not like having 37 hours normal time showing instead of 38 even if they have an extra hour of overtime.

Is there another option I haven't considered?

4 REPLIES 4
Tracey_H
MYOB Moderator
5,147 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

5,147Posts

735Kudos

807Solutions

Re: Calculating super adjustments

Hi @H-TS 

Thanks for your post. This help article has detailed instructions on how to correct super calculations: Checking and adjusting superannuation

Please let me know if you need further help.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

H-TS
Experienced User
186 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

186Posts

90Kudos

1Solutions

Thanks @Tracey_H , 

I did a test in the Clearwater sample file. I processed a pay "as normal" for an employee. It calculated $73.08 super.

I processed an adjustment pay with -2 hours in base hourly and +2 hours in overtime.

I then processed a void pay, as per the instructions in the link you provided, to recalculate the super for the month, but when I go to Pay liabilities and choose superannuation, it is still the original $73.08 showing to be paid. The void pay doesn't appear to have changed the calculation at all. I checked that the overtime payroll category is listed as exempt for super in Clearwater's payroll setup. I tried it using both normal weekly pay and bonus/commission options with the same result of no change to the super calculation.

Do the instructions only work for undercalculated super and not overcalculated?

Tracey_H
MYOB Moderator
5,147 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

5,147Posts

735Kudos

807Solutions

Hi @H-TS 

The software will automatically calculate the super amount in the last pay period of the month to ensure that 9.5% of the OTE is accrued for that month. If you have overpaid super for the month, the software won't reduce that amount as it may be intentional by the business.

You will need to manually calculate the overpaid amount and process a pay to reduce the super on a monthly basis. You will also need to check with super funds about those overpaid amounts.

Please let me know if you need further help.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

H-TS
Experienced User
186 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User