Correcting a duplicated pay in a closed payroll year

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Jill10
Experienced User
14 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

14Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Correcting a duplicated pay in a closed payroll year

I have (stupidly!) duplicated two pays in the previous payroll year 2018-19, they haven't been actually paid twice, just entered twice in MYOB.  I've finalised in STP and rolled the payroll year before I picked up the error.  How do I go about correcting this, as it won't let me delete or reverse as it belongs to a prior year.

5 REPLIES 5
bungy15
Ultimate Cover User
1,055 Posts
Ultimate Cover User
Australia
Ultimate Cover User

1,055Posts

334Kudos

195Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: Correcting a duplicated pay in a closed payroll year

Hi @Jill10 

You will need to Restore a backup first to fix the 18/19 FY. I recommend making a backup of your file before doing the restore, just to be safe.

Then undo the Finalisations for effected employees.

Delete the incorrect pays then process $0 pays with payment date 30 June for those employees. To do $0 pays, process payroll as normal but zero all amounts and hours so everything is $0. Record and declare. When you get the warning that it will be a void paycheque click ok. This will correct the YTD amounts in STP.

Reconcile the Payroll Activity report, Payroll Register report and EOFY verification report. When all reconciles you can re-do the Finalisation.

I’m a big fan of using the Payroll Clearing Account and reconciling this account back to zero at end of month to pick up any errors like duplications or incorrect amounts transferred. 

Let me know how you go

Tracey

Jill10
Experienced User
14 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

14Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Tracey,

This looks to be a simple process to follow, thank-you very much!  I'll make a copy of the file I'll restore so it's safe.
I'll look into the Payroll Clearing account, thanks .. I've never duplicated before, but that doesn't mean it won't happen again!

Thank-you, I'll let you know how I go Smiley Happy  

bungy15
Ultimate Cover User
1,055 Posts
Ultimate Cover User
Australia
Ultimate Cover User

1,055Posts

334Kudos

195Solutions

Hi @Jill10 

To use the payroll clearing account go into Setup>Linked Accounts>Payroll Linked accounts and make the Bank account for cash/cheque payments the Payroll Clearing Account.

When you process a payrun the Pay From Account will be the Payroll Clearing Account. I process the payrun then do the wage transfer in internet banking.

Then do a Transfer Money -

Transfer from Account - bank account 

Transfer to Account - Payroll clearing account 

Then at EOM the Payroll clearing account should have a DR and CR for each pay/payrun transaction and you can reconcile it back to zero.  

It does add an extra step to the payroll process but I find it saves time in the long run because you can pick up errors straight away instead of months later.

Cheers

Tracey

Jill10
Experienced User
14 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

14Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Tracey, thank-you!  It's worked, and it was straight forward.  I'll set-up that payroll clearing account shortly too.  Thanks again Smiley Happy

bungy15
Ultimate Cover User
1,055 Posts
Ultimate Cover User
Australia
Ultimate Cover User

1,055Posts

334Kudos

195Solutions

You’re very welcome @Jill10 😊 

Didn't find your answer here?