EOY Payroll not balancing to ATO.

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Chris_Hartigan
Experienced Cover User
17 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

17Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Re: EOY Payroll not balancing to ATO.

Hello Jane,

.. and I did see that there can be a check if you get your Employees to check their MyGov site but I have just had a look at mine and the data won't be uploaded UNTIL you and I and others of course confirm the YTD final figure.
So - between a rock & a hard place.

I KNOW my MYOB Reports are correct as I have checked and double & triple checked so I am now wondering what would happen if we do bypass the ATO and issue manual Summaries - which can be done in the DropDown menu under Payroll at the top of the sceen,.

Jedwa
Experienced User
12 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

12Posts

6Kudos

0Solutions

Yes, definitely a rock and hard place!  My reports are correct as well, as one of the pays that is wrong is mine (it's under-reporting by over half on the YTD Verification Report!!) but it shows the correct amount in all other reports - just the same as you.  

Really don't want to have to do the manual summaries...especially after spending a significant amount of time explaining to my employees how all this auto-reporting works.  

Hopefully we'll get a solution ASAP.

Cheers

Emily_B
1,327 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

1,327Posts

0Kudos

170Solutions

Hi @Jedwa 

I'm sorry that hasn't worked, but I may have a better grasp on your situation now. Let's take a step back and try to determine exactly where the discrepancy seems to originate from.

Could you please run your Payroll Activity summary and the Payroll Register summary, and compare those two reports. Do they match?

NO: This usually means that at some point a manual adjustment has been made in a specific employee's Pay History. If this is the case, you'll want to change the Pay History back to what it was and re-process any changes or adjustments you may have made through Process Payroll instead. Then, do the $0 pay to update STP.

YES: This generally indicates that the issue stems from ATO reporting categories that have not been assigned correctly or by payroll categories that have exempted from PAYG Withholding in error. You have mentioned that the payroll categories are not exempt, which is great. Go ahead and ensure that the ATO reporting categories are all assigned correctly (although this is likely not the issue since other employees are reconciling fine, but it can't hurt to double check). 

Let me know how you go with this approach.

Kind regards,
Emily

MYOB Community Support

Chris_Hartigan
Experienced Cover User
17 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

17Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Jane - the Manual Summaries are very quick and easy. Just click a few buttons.
Given that all our Reports balance/match the solution that is being offered trying to isolate when it all went wrong is not the answer for me as the last pay that I did for my Employee is correct according to the ATO Report for that week that showed the accumulated sums.

Chris_Hartigan
Experienced Cover User
17 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

17Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

@Emily_B  - any ideas re my problem

Regards

Chris H

Emily_B
1,327 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

1,327Posts

0Kudos

170Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hello @Chris_Hartigan 

In trying to narrow down why you are experiencing this imbalance, I would first suggest following the same steps outlined to Jane. 

As you have indicated, your MYOB reports reconcile (Payroll Activity and Payroll Register summaries). Generally, when these reports are correct but YTD reports don't match, it suggests that the problem lies within incorrectly assigned ATO reporting categories or PAYG witholding errors. I understand that you believe these to be correctly attributed, as your other employees are reconciling accurately. However, please double check, as something could have been changed by accident during the year, resulting in a discrepancy down the line. 

Then, if you haven't already, try a $0 pay for your terminated employee (instructions here).  You will need to change their status to active in the system, run the $0 pay, and change to inactive again. This could fix what may be a fluke somewhere that we can't identify. 

If things still don't reconcile, could you please attach some screenshots of your reports: Payroll Activity, Payroll Register, and YTD Verification Report. This will shed some light on your issue and assist me in further investigation. 

Kind regards,
Emily

MYOB Community Support

gavin12345
Ultimate User
4,953 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

4,953Posts

1,000Kudos

633Solutions

Hi @Chris_Hartigan and @Jedwa 

Take - care, manually payment summaries are NOT a solution. If you have reported via STP and you upload an EMPDUPE file, all your employees will end up with 2 payment summaries, which will be a new problem to fix.

And MyGov amounts are updated usually within a few hours of your STP Report being uploaded. So what shows there is what the last data the ATO has received. The Income Statement does not become Tax Ready until you add a Final Indicator, however the figures are usually up to date.

Regards

Gavin

(gavinw222@gmail.com)
Jedwa
Experienced User
12 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

12Posts

6Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @Emily_B , My Payroll Activity Summary and Payroll Register Summary match.  The amount reported on the employees payslip is also correct and matches both the Activity Summary and Register Summary.  The only incorrect amount is on the EOFY Verification Report.

Thanks

Emily_B
1,327 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

1,327Posts

0Kudos

170Solutions

Hello @Jedwa 

I understand that your Payroll Activity Summary and Payroll Register Summary match and that the discrepancy lies between these reports against the Verification Report. As previously outlined: 

"This generally indicates that the issue stems from ATO reporting categories that have not been assigned correctly or by payroll categories that have exempted from PAYG Withholding in error."

You mentioned that your Payroll Categories are not exempt, so that is not the issue. However, please ensure you double check the ATO reporting categories are all assigned correctly for each Payroll Category you have used this year. Something could have been mistakenly reassigned at some point without realising and it simply needs to be reapplied correctly. 

To provide some context as to why this might be occurring for you: The Payroll Activity report receives data from the payruns you process through Process Payroll. The Payroll Register report receives its data from the Pay History tab in the employee card. Finally, the YTD Verification Report receives its figures from the Pay History tab as well, and then filters those numbers using the ATO Reporting Categories you have applied.

So, if the Activity and Register are matching but the YTD Verification Report is still off, it indicates that although the figures are correct in the software, something is off with the filtering part of the process, which utilises the ATO Reporting Categories. Please refer to this post for further context and clarification.

You can pinpoint which Payroll Category may be causing the issue by running an Activity Detail Report, and then double check PAYG exempt and ATO Reporting Category for that particular Payroll Category.

Finally, go ahead with the $0 again. Make sure to remove the termination date of any terminated employees for this payroll year, run the $0 pay, and then re-terminate with the original date. 

If you follow each of these steps and still have a discrepancy, please provide us with screenshots of the three reports (Payroll Activity, Payroll Register, and YTD Verification Report) to assist in investigating your issue further. 

Kind regards,
Emily

MYOB Community Support

Jedwa
Experienced User
12 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

12Posts

6Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @Emily_B 

Have triple checked my reporting categories and everything is assigned correctly / nothing has been reassigned.  I have re-run $0 pays and it still not fixed.

UPDATE:  I've logged in this morning and it has corrected itself and the YTD Verification is now correct - Phew!!  I guess it just needed time for the pays to update.  Still have no idea why as there is nothing wrong with my assigned reporting catergories & exemptions and I use the same categories for all employees.  Just glad it is fixed!

@Chris_Hartigan thank you for letting me be a part of your thread, I hope that this has worked for you as well!

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post