Employee FIRST YTD total was negative - has affected every YTD since. HOW TO FIX?

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
JCC27
Experienced Cover User
10 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Experienced Cover User

10Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Employee FIRST YTD total was negative - has affected every YTD since. HOW TO FIX?

Hi,

I recently had to print a report for an employee and noticed their YTD earnings were very low. With a bit of digging, I realised their YTD earnings from the FIRST PAY RUN in July 2020 rolled over as a negative. 

The negative has now been outweighed by the weekly pays and is now positive. The question is: how do I fix this for the employee's tax purposes and the business's figures?

I have to send a selection of payslips through to another association, but the earnings within that period look wonky due to the negatives.

The employee has been paid correctly throughout this whole period - just the reporting is incorrect. 

HELP PLEASE.

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: Employee FIRST YTD total was negative - has affected every YTD since. HOW TO FIX?

HI @JCC27 

Thanks for your post. So that I can better assist can you clarify what you mean by the payrun rolled over as a negative? And is it the YTD amounts in STP or AccountRight reports that are incorrect?

You mentioned that the payslips look wonky so I'm assuming the AccountRight reports are incorrect. Without knowing why there's negative payruns it's hard to give advice on how to fix this. The YTD amounts for the first payrun in July should be the values for that pay only as it is the first pay of the year. If they are reported as a negative it indicates that the payrun has been reversed twice or negative pays entered.

If you can find exactly what pay transactions have been recorded for that period I'll be happy to help with resolving the issue.

Please let me know how you go with this.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

JCC27
Experienced Cover User
10 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Experienced Cover User

10Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Re: Employee FIRST YTD total was negative - has affected every YTD since. HOW TO FIX?

Hi Tracey, 

Thanks for your reply. To clarify, it is the YTD totals in the pay run - AND the STP - so I can't finalise her payments through STP - for end of fin year purposes. (The amounts in both STP and AccountRight are the same... therefore both being incorrect due to the negative amounts beginning with the first pay run in Jul 2020).

I have a complete report of the hours and pay rates etc for the whole period. How should I go about amending this, please?

thanks 

Josie

Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Hi @JCC27 

Thanks for that information. How did the employee get negative YTD amounts in the first payrun? Prior to recording the first payrun of a new payroll year all YTD amounts are zero. So after recording the first payrun the YTD amount should be the amount of the first payrun.

Do the Payroll Activity and Payroll Register summary reports match?

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

ManagerAmy
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @Tracey_H 

This is exactly the same issue that I have and I'm unable to finalise STP for one employee. The Payroll Activity and Payroll Register summary reports do not match which means the STP YTD Verification report is incorrect.

I have looked at every way that i could possibly fix this, however i'm just left with further issues that would need resolving.

Any assistance that you could offer would be very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Amy.

Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Hi @ManagerAmy 

Activity Summary – gets its data from the pays processed through Process Payroll, filters by payroll categories

Register Summary – gets its data from the employee card>>Payroll Details tab>>Pay History, filters by payroll categories

YTD verification report – gets its data from the employee card>>Payroll Details tab>>Pay History, filters by the ATO reporting categories.

So when the Activity and Register reports are different it means that a change has been made to employee card>>Pay History. As the YTD verification report gets it's data from the Pay History the only way to fix this issue is to change the pay history back to what it should be. Then process a $0 pay with payment date as 30 June to update the YTD amounts in STP. Wait until that report has been accepted before rechecking the YTD verification report.

This post, AccountRight reports don't match my STP reports, has detailed information you may find helpful.

Please let me know if you need further help.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

JCC27
Experienced Cover User
10 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Experienced Cover User

10Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

So frustrating. I'm hoping I can get this sorted as there is just one person waiting for their payment summary / info to be sent to the ATO.

JCC27
Experienced Cover User
10 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Experienced Cover User

10Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

https://help.myob.com/wiki/display/ar/Viewing+pay+history+for+the+current+year

@ManagerAmy  / @Tracey_H 

it mentions here not to change the Pay History. @Tracey_H , how would I go about amending the pay history - as I've realised the Payroll Register and the Payroll Activity do not match. (the register is super low!)

ManagerAmy
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @Tracey_H 

Thank you for your prompt response.

I have looked at this, however, as the pay history in the employees card is now showing the current year 2021/2022, how would i go about entering the correct amounts for the 2020/2021 financial year?

Thanks,

Amy.

Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Hi @JCC27 

You're 100 % correct that the pay history should not normally be manually changed. However, if it has been changed it has to be changed back to what is was. That's the only way to correct this issue. The Payroll Activity and Payroll Register reports must be the same at all times and the only way for them to be different is a manual change to the pay history.

To change the pay history back to what it should be go to the employee card>>Payroll Details tab>>Pay History and manually enter the correct amounts. Then process a $0 pay with payment date as 30 June to update the YTD verification report.

You will need to restore a backup locally to change the pay history in a previous year: Restore backup

Sorry @ManagerAmy I forget to say you need to restore a backup in my previous reply to you.

Please let me know how you go.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post